• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is hypocritical to use religion and the Bible to justify opposition to abortion.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Your context was in the scriptural quote.

Yes. Where the subject is a third party attacking a pregnant person with miscarriage as a direct result.

So, are you saying the person birthed through rape is not valuable and should be discarded?

No.

I'm saying there is a difference between being attacked resulting in miscarriage against one's will as a result on the one hand and a personal conscious decision on the other.

Just like there is a difference between being raped and having sex with mutual consent.

Sheesh dude............................................................

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Nice strawman.

Straw man, what straw man? I asked you a question, which you have now ignored twice, shall we try a third time then.

Is it an objective fact that the world is not flat? You seem determined to dodge this question, I wonder why?

KenS said:
When does reality conform to what you think is objective?

What I think is objective? that seems like a carefully crafted oxymoron. Objective fact is the opposite of subjective opinion. I don't choose what is objective fact, the objective evidence determines this.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Not a strawman.

He's talking about objective facts (ie: things that are true regardless of what people believe)

You keep insisting on countering that by pointing at subjective personal beliefs.

So it's actually you who's engaging in the strawman.
Really?

Kenny

Premium Member
Straw man, what straw man? I asked you a question, which you have now ignored twice, shall we try a third time then.

Is it an objective fact that the world is not flat? You seem determined to dodge this question, I wonder why?

What I think is objective? that seems like a carefully crafted oxymoron. Objective fact is the opposite of subjective opinion. I don't choose what is objective fact, the objective evidence determines this.
Sheldon,

I just don't put too much mental efforts in what you say.

I realize that no matter what I say, your philosophical world view is going to trump whatever is said. It makes you... non-objective.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Exodus 21:22, 23
22 “If men should struggle with each other and they hurt a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely*a but no fatality* results, the offender must pay the damages imposed on him by the husband of the woman; and he must pay it through the judges.b 23 But if a fatality does occur, then you must give life for life,*

The principle here is that we choose life and not abortion... hardly hypocritical
That seems to be a very different translation from most that I've seen.

Usually, that passage gets rendered as:

- causing a miscarriage: punishable by a fine.
- causing the death of the pregnant woman: punishable by execution.

... but since this doesn't support your anti-choice position, I understand why you'd shop around for a translation that fits your views.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God gave the wicked in Noah’s days a few hundred years to change their ways or be destroyed, but they did not. How many years does a pro-abortion/pro-killing mother-to-be give her innocent unborn baby to live before destroying it? Don’t even try to compare God and the flood to women who have abortions, it won’t work.
Let’s be clear and factual. It’s not an “unborn baby.” It’s a fetus. Up to 24 weeks it’s incapable of discerning pain. It doesn’t think. It doesn’t have developed lungs. It’s neither culpable nor innocent. You’re assigning things to it that just physically aren’t there.

Kenny

Premium Member
The principle is that we know desperate women will abort, whether safe and legally or unsafe and illegal. We cannot dictate to women what to do with their bodies. Abortion must remain safe and legal.
But we are back to square one as to if the baby in the womb is the mother's body or another body.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But we are back to square one as to if the baby in the womb is the mother's body or another body.
- if it's her own body, then the fetus has no rights of its own and there's no basis for outlawing abortion.

- if it's another body, then that body has no right to occupy another person's body without their consent and there's no basis for outlawing abortion.

Viker

Häxan
There is no clear indication of God's or the Bible's stance on abortion, just out of context opinion either way.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It's not a baby, and the biological facts indicate it is part of the woman's body. You also ignored what @sojourner said.

The choices are either legal abortions, or illegal abortions, either way women will seek terminations, the latter will enslave or criminalise women, and cause untold suffering.

Kenny

Premium Member
- if it's her own body, then the fetus has no rights of its own and there's no basis for outlawing abortion.

- if it's another body, then that body has no right to occupy another person's body without their consent and there's no basis for outlawing abortion.
hmmm... can you give me scientific support? And did the baby force his/her way into the body?