• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is hypocritical to use religion and the Bible to justify opposition to abortion.

fujitora48

There are countless verses in the Bible that are not "pro-life." To begin, I'll tell you about Noah's Ark, in which the Bible's God drowns the entire earth in a rage-fueled flood. Given that some of the women were probably pregnant when God drowned them in his wrath, that doesn't sound very "pro-life." That indicates that in just the first book of the Bible, God was responsible for the death of the unborn.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There are countless verses in the Bible that are not "pro-life." To begin, I'll tell you about Noah's Ark, in which the Bible's God drowns the entire earth in a rage-fueled flood. Given that some of the women were probably pregnant when God drowned them in his wrath, that doesn't sound very "pro-life." That indicates that in just the first book of the Bible, God was responsible for the death of the unborn.

This sounds more like just a pro-abortion stance by cherry picking verses that support a position. (not to mention an overused statement that reminds when I use to say "everybody interprets the bible differently" to hid the fact that I hadn't read it.)

Of course there are times when abortion is necessary, like when you have a fallopian tube pregnancy that is placing both baby and mother in jeopardy of continued life.

It was also necessary to bomb cities in WWII to stop the war and we know there were probably pregnant people. (didn't like it, but it was a rock and a hard spot). God doesn't like it either

Ezekiel 18:23, “’As surely as I live,’ declares the Lord God, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.’”

Exodus 21:22, 23
22 “If men should struggle with each other and they hurt a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely*a but no fatality* results, the offender must pay the damages imposed on him by the husband of the woman; and he must pay it through the judges.b 23 But if a fatality does occur, then you must give life for life,*

The principle here is that we choose life and not abortion... hardly hypocritical.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Welcome. This belongs in a debate sub-forum.

Nimos

I think this comes down to interpretation to be honest. At least I don't recall anywhere in the bible where it say that abortion is wrong. But rather this view is gathered from various verses to mean that it is wrong according to God.

The most obvious one is that you shall not kill. Then you have the ones where God tells human to populate Earth etc. But as you say there are plenty of verses where killing is perfectly acceptable or used as punishment, or where God want the Jews to kill everyone and slam the babies against the rocks if I recall correctly, so it is apparently not all children that are important.

So I think they you can justify both views based on the bible if you are a believer.

Altfish

Veteran Member
This sounds more like just a pro-abortion stance by cherry picking verses that support a position.
I do wish anti-abortionists would stop calling those that are Pro-choice "Pro-abortion"
I am pro-choice but I am NOT pro-abortion. All I ask is that the woman/family of an unborn foetus be given advice and options and that the woman's health is taken into consideration. Additionally the child's welfare and education is guaranteed by the state.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do wish anti-abortionists would stop calling those that are Pro-choice "Pro-abortion"
I am pro-choice but I am NOT pro-abortion. All I ask is that the woman/family of an unborn foetus be given advice and options and that the woman's health is taken into consideration. Additionally the child's welfare and education is guaranteed by the state.
I'm "pro abortion". I notice that many "pro choice"
types aren't all that big on individual choice, ie,
they're fans of government regulating us ever more.

The point here is that no label is 100% accurate.
It's in the nature of labels. But if people know just
who is being referred too, then they're useful.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If Christians look at natural abortion, hence miscarriages, that would mean God is a major abortion provider by far.

From pub med....

An estimated 23 million miscarriages occur every year worldwide, translating to 44 pregnancy losses each minute.May 1, 2021

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
God was responsible for the death of the unborn.
God is responsible for all the death, period. Also for the good though. Also for committing suicide in case big trouble outweighs good fortune. So no need to feel guitly about anything, if you believe in such a God. I don't feel guilty (at least I'm not aware of it)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Welcome to RF.

I wouldn't call it hypocritical, I'd call it irrelevant. At least outside the Vatican. Aside from that one exception, we don't rest our laws on the bible, so why should we with abortion?
(And you should maybe look into the meaning of "hypocrisy".)

pearl

The principle here is that we choose life and not abortion... hardly hypocritical.

* [21:2225] This law of talion is applied here in the specific case of a pregnant woman who, as an innocent bystander, is injured by two fighting men. The law of talion is not held up as a general principle to be applied throughout the book of the covenant. (But see note on Lv 24:1920.) Here this principle of rigorous accountability aimed to prevent injury to a woman about to give birth by apparently requiring the assailant to have his own wife injured as she was about to bring new life into his family. However, it is debatable whether talion was ever understood or applied literally in Israel. In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus challenges his audience to find a deeper form of justice than the supposed equilibrium offered by talion (Mt 5:3840).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would say that it is not hypocritical, I would say that it is mistaken. Many people misinterpret the Bible and the certain verses were reinterpreted by anti-abortion people after Roe v Wade to try to sway other believers to their cause. Now those changes were no doubt hypocritical, but I would say that the belief of most anti-abortion people is merely mistaken.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This sounds more like just a pro-abortion stance by cherry picking verses that support a position. (not to mention an overused statement that reminds when I use to say "everybody interprets the bible differently" to hid the fact that I hadn't read it.)

Of course there are times when abortion is necessary, like when you have a fallopian tube pregnancy that is placing both baby and mother in jeopardy of continued life.

It was also necessary to bomb cities in WWII to stop the war and we know there were probably pregnant people. (didn't like it, but it was a rock and a hard spot). God doesn't like it either

Ezekiel 18:23, “’As surely as I live,’ declares the Lord God, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.’”

Exodus 21:22, 23
22 “If men should struggle with each other and they hurt a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely*a but no fatality* results, the offender must pay the damages imposed on him by the husband of the woman; and he must pay it through the judges.b 23 But if a fatality does occur, then you must give life for life,*

And that translation was changed to that after Roe v Wade to make it look as if there was a premature birth instead of a miscarriage. I can't find my Bible right now but I do have my housemates New American Bible that was published in 1970:

"When men have a fight and hurt a pregnant woman , so that she suffers a miscarriage, but no further injury, the guilty one shall be fined as much as the woman's husband demands of him, and he shall pay in the presence of judges." <bolding is mine>

A long time ago I noticed that change. Don't trust me, go find Bible from pre Roe v Wade and see for yourself.

EDIT: I just realized that the Bible I quoted from was a Catholic Bible. They were antiabortion long before the evangelicals were. And, at least at that time, did not find a need to print a false interpretation of their holy book.

I don't want to be accused of using a pro-abortion Bible.

Last edited:

Firelight

Inactive member

The “option” that Pro-choice supports is the option for abortion, otherwise one would be Pro-life/Anti-abortion. What other options and choices are there for Pro-choicers to give a woman? Adoption? That’s Pro-life. Childcare? Healthcare? Food? Support? Again, Pro-life. What options do you have to offer besides destroying a tiny little life? A woman either gets an abortion or she doesn’t, it’s completely straight-forward that those are the only two choices available. Pro-abortion and Anti-abortion or Anti-life and Pro-life are very fitting. Pro-choice and Anti-choice don’t fit, since Anti-abortion/Pro-life have 3x as many choices to offer.

Pro-choicers hate a legislative bill being introduced that requires an ultrasound be offered to the woman so she may see the development of the fetus and hear the heartbeat before making a choice. Choicers are also against advising a woman that the fetus feels pain while being destroyed during an abortion, and are against administering pain meds to the fetus beforehand. The “woman” in my example is a healthy woman with a healthy fetus, which most abortion choosers are. Pro-lifers do not expect an unhealthy woman to give up her life for her unborn child.

Firelight

Inactive member
I can't believe a woman can't abort because her neighbor says so. :rolleyes::eek:

I can’t believe a woman would need her neighbor to step in to save her unborn child’s life. Most women have a natural instinct to protect their young.

Firelight

Inactive member
God is responsible for all the death, period. Also for the good though. Also for committing suicide in case big trouble outweighs good fortune. So no need to feel guitly about anything, if you believe in such a God. I don't feel guilty (at least I'm not aware of it)

So, are you saying God is responsible for all abortions, since you say God is responsible for all death? Or is it the woman’s choice?

Firelight

Inactive member
If Christians look at natural abortion, hence miscarriages, that would mean God is a major abortion provider by far.

From pub med....

An estimated 23 million miscarriages occur every year worldwide, translating to 44 pregnancy losses each minute.May 1, 2021

Only if you believe God causes all deaths, which I don’t.

Firelight

Inactive member

God gave the wicked in Noah’s days a few hundred years to change their ways or be destroyed, but they did not. How many years does a pro-abortion/pro-killing mother-to-be give her innocent unborn baby to live before destroying it? Don’t even try to compare God and the flood to women who have abortions, it won’t work.