• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel-West Bank - Israeli special forces disguised as doctors kill three militants at West Bank hospital

libre

Skylark
Israeli special forces disguised as doctors kill three militants at West Bank hospital

Special forces assassinating Islamist militants who had been hospitalized while disguised as Doctors in the West Bank.

"A hospital spokesperson, Tawfiq al-Shobaki, said there was no exchange of fire during the raid but that the Israelis attacked doctors, nurses and hospital security. In security camera footage, one of the undercover agents can be seen searching a man against a wall with his hands above his head."
“What happened is a precedent,” he said. “There was never an assassination inside a hospital. There were arrests and assaults but not an assassination.”"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Israeli special forces disguised as doctors kill three militants at West Bank hospital

Special forces assassinating Islamist militants who had been hospitalized while disguised as Doctors in the West Bank.

"A hospital spokesperson, Tawfiq al-Shobaki, said there was no exchange of fire during the raid but that the Israelis attacked doctors, nurses and hospital security. In security camera footage, one of the undercover agents can be seen searching a man against a wall with his hands above his head."
“What happened is a precedent,” he said. “There was never an assassination inside a hospital. There were arrests and assaults but not an assassination.”"
This is better than bombing the hospital.
Perhaps Israel is feeling some outside pressure?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Very cloak and dagger.

I suspect these militants weren't exactly your common boots on the ground grunt militant.

libre

Skylark
It's the West Bank, so not currently being bombed the way that Gaza is.
In my view the fact that they are willing to disguise as doctors to assassinate a paralyzed man is a bad indication of what is ahead.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's the West Bank, so not currently being bombed the way that Gaza is.
In my view the fact that they are willing to disguise as doctors to assassinate a paralyzed man is a bad indication of what is ahead.
Paralyzed, eh.
So no intent to arrest, just to kill without any trial.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pressure to attack nurses and doctors? An assassination is vastly better than bombing, but it seems they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Pressure to attack nurses and doctors? An assassination is vastly better than bombing, but it seems they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent.
What specifically did you see in the operation that makes it seem "they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent"? It seems to me that
  • Israel risked the lives of many of its military personnel precisely to avoid inflicting collateral damage upon the innocent, and
  • that the only irresistible urge demonstrated is your apparent urge to paint Israelis as blood-thirsty monsters irrespective of the care taken.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What specifically did you see in the operation that makes it seem "they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent"?
I gave that bit. They still attacked innocent people. What were they really risking if they didn't attack hospital staff?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
  • that the only irresistible urge demonstrated is your apparent urge to paint Israelis as blood-thirsty monsters irrespective of the care taken.
Occasional care to strike surgically is
far from the norm for Israel's military.
However, it's far from clear that it was
reasonable to execute sleeping patients.
No questioning. No arrests.
It's reminiscent of soldiers killing hostages
waving a white flag because they looked
like Palestinians.

libre

Skylark
What specifically did you see in the operation that makes it seem "they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent"? It seems to me that
  • Israel risked the lives of many of its military personnel precisely to avoid inflicting collateral damage upon the innocent, and
I would agree with you that collateral damage isn't the right objection here.

However I do think that framing soldiers disguised as doctors entering a hospital to conduct an assassination of sleeping targets as though it was a benevolent risk taken by the state of Israel to be remarkably forgiving for what can be interpreted as a Geneva convention violation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Don't rile up folks who will do anything in retaliation seems to be the message Israel wants to send.
Seems they feel justified in this and that is what is going to continue to happen until Israel feels the message has been received.

I'd imagine the US would do the same. Certainly more justification than the wars the US has involved itself in lately.
Attack civilians on US shores and see how the US government responds.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As quoted in the OP.

"A hospital spokesperson, Tawfiq al-Shobaki, said there was no exchange of fire during the raid but that the Israelis attacked doctors, nurses and hospital security."
I read the claim and find it unconvincing for a number of reasons:
  • In an infrastructure laced with Hamas members and sympathizers, surrounded by those under enormous pressure to echo Hamas propaganda, and in a population with good reason to hate and fear Israel and its IDF, I see no reason to take the assertion at face value.
  • Even were I to do so, that "the Israelis attacked doctors, nurses and hospital security" could mean anything from brutalizing every Palestinian encountered to securing the operation by subduing those in the area with a minimum of force.
Those assassinated would be just as dead if killed by targeted explosives. It appears to me that the IDF was, at least in part, seeking to minimize collateral damage. I am not at all certain that this was the case, but it's clear that such a narrative is wholly unacceptable to those wed to the claim of genocidal intent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would agree with you that collateral damage isn't the right objection here.

However I do think that framing soldiers disguised as doctors entering a hospital to conduct an assassination of sleeping targets as though it was a benevolent risk taken by the state of Israel to be remarkably forgiving for what can be interpreted as a Geneva convention violation.
I do not see where I intimated anything of the kind. Rather, I was responding to ...

"they just cannot resist the urge to inflict collateral damage upon the innocent"

... which I believe to be a characteristically despicable slander.

Bthoth

*banned*

The propaganda (the article) is misleading at the title.

Dressing up in disguise to enter a hospital could become a new method of getting to leaders on either side.

If the IDF is willing to go that low, why not dress up as IMAN and convey a message that killing civilians is condemned by llallah?

Why not use such a tactic to reduce violence?

William2004

It appears Israel aims to assert a strong message, albeit risking further escalation. The comparison to potential US responses sheds light on the complexities of retaliation in geopolitics.