• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel Frozen Out

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
however it was perhaps more of a Vacuum filler than a independent state.
What does that mean?
Why "however"?
What we call the Palestinians, today, are simply the long time Inhabitants of that area who did not happen to be Jews
Some might be. Many, however, are descendants of immigrants from later conquests or immigration waves (including some that came during the British Mandate).
The Kings of England held large parts of what is now France, mainly by inheritance, for far longer than that. yet today has no ambition to reacquire its original Norman homelands.
Goody for them.

Last edited:

Justanatheist

(b) IMMIGRATION AND NATURAL INCREASE

15. These changes in the population have been brought about by two forces: natural increase and immigration. The great increase in the Jewish population is due in the main to immigration. From 1920 to 1946, the total number of recorded Jewish immigrants into Palestine was about 376,000, or an average of over 8,000 per year. The flow has not been regular, however, being fairly high in 1924 to 1926, falling in the next few years (there was a net emigration in 1927) and rising to even higher levels between 1933 and 1936 as a result of the Nazi persecution in Europe. Between the census year of 1931 and the year 1936, the proportion of Jews to the total population rose from 18 per cent to nearly 30 per cent.

16. The Arab population has increased almost entirely as a result of an excess of births over deaths. Indeed, the natural rate of increase of Moslem Arabs in Palestine is the highest in recorded statistics,1 a phenomenon explained by very high fertility rates coupled with a marked decline in death rates as a result of improved conditions of life and public health, The natural rate of increase of Jews is also relatively high, but is conditioned by a favorable age distribution of the population due to the high rate of immigration.

A/364 of 3 September 1947

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Do tell, can you show there was much non Jewish immigration during the mandate?

I never said "much...during the mandate".

Here are some statistics:
Demographic history of Palestine (region) - Wikipedia
800px-Survey_of_Palestine_Page_142.jpg

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
we can all say AND?
Ask a question and it might be answered.
My statement was simply a direct counter to your own erroneous one.
I'm not following. You stated that the last Jewish state in Israel was pre-Nebuchadnezzar. I asked about the Hasmonean state. You said it might be, then added some other stuff which I wasn't sure how that was connected, including talking about the "Palestinians". I replied to that. What was erroneous in my reply?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@Justanatheist there, I edited my post just for you.

So, if you're looking for yeshiva recommendations, I can suggest a few that might take in atheists.

rosends

I'm not sure if it is worthwhile to discuss immigration numbers because the ones that are published are often the "official" ones and there were loads of undocumented immigrations as well (see "Arab immigration into pre‐state Israel: 1922‐1931" by Gottheil). If one looks simply at the numbers of the population, the Jewish presence increased most by percentage (a 5 fold increase comapred to a doubling), but less in terms of absolute numbers than the Arab population (540k vs 655k approx).

Justanatheist

I'm not sure if it is worthwhile to discuss immigration numbers because the ones that are published are often the "official" ones and there were loads of undocumented immigrations as well (see "Arab immigration into pre‐state Israel: 1922‐1931" by Gottheil). If one looks simply at the numbers of the population, the Jewish presence increased most by percentage (a 5 fold increase comapred to a doubling), but less in terms of absolute numbers than the Arab population (540k vs 655k approx).
By un documented do you mean speculated?

rosends

By un documented do you mean speculated?
reported by authorites then but undocumented officially.
The article has quotes such as
"The Royal Institute for International Affairs, for example, commenting on the
growth of the Palestinian population prior to World War II, states: 'The
number of Arabs who entered Palestine illegally from Syria and Trans-
jordan is unknown. But probably considerable.'"

Great Britain and Palestine, 1915-1945, Royal Institute for International Affairs,
Information Papers no. 20, London, p. 64.

The article uses census data and other demographic data and shows a gap between registered immigration numbers and actual data. It is worth a read -- you can look at page 318, which explains a gap of over 50,000 Arabs.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
So just to be clear: An Arab migrating from Transjordan to Palestine is being counted as an "immigrant" by Israeli historians, but a European Jew migrating from the UK, Russia or France is not?