• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam in India

ajay0

Orthodox Islam is quite fanatic and conservative. Even unorthodox muslims like the shias, sufis and ahmediyas have come under the onslaught of orthodox islam especially by the wahabis and salafis.

Fortunately in India, sufism is a well-established culture amongst the muslims and patronised by Hindus as well. Sufism with its emphasis on tolerance, music and dance has helped to liberalise Islam in India and the world to a large extent.

The theme of Fana in sufism is the same as Moksha in Hinduism, Nirvana in Buddhism and emphasizes nondualism.

I think the course of sufism in India and worldwide will have a large part to play in liberalising Islam and ending the present global war on terror. Hopefully we can have more threads on sufism here to understand it better.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
India is on course to becoming the largest Muslim populated country in the world. I feel Muslims worldwide should take a leaf out of India's book.

Indian Muslims are tolerant, liberal and open minded. You don't hear of Al Qaeda or ISIS gaining a foothold in India despite the massive Muslim population.
Many Muslims serve in India's military and sports teams and are patriotic.
Hindus and Muslims celebrate Diwali and Eid together and Hindus go to Sufi Shrines.

Let's not forget the Khans of Bollywood: Saif Ali, Shah Rukh, Aamir. They're married to Hindus

Of course, that is the situation today, some seven decades after a very troubled and very troubling partition whose whole point was to enable Muslims to live apart from Indian non-Muslims with their own political autonomy. Presumably the descendants of the Indian Muslims that had a harder time living among non-Muslims are for the most part now in Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Still, even after the partition India is a huge, heavily populated place where many Muslims remain to this day.

Nevertheless, Islaam is Islaam. It is by definition subject to the directives of the Qur'an, which spends half of its contents telling Muslims that they just can't trust non-Muslims.

Being part of the local minority no doubt stymies the logical consequences of being a true, devoted Muslim, but India's own history past and present shows that there is a persistence of trouble. As does the actual situation in Muslim-majority communities everywhere ever since the formation of Islaam. Islaam, by design, is fertile ground for abusive leadership and has hardly any way of healing itself from such abuse that does not involve traumatic, destructive disruption of the established order. That is no accident, but instead one of its main design parameters.

It is IMO a serious mistake to assume that Islaamic communities can be taught to be truly respectful of diversity yet still remain viable as adherents to Islaam somehow. The Ahmadiyyas have been attempting it and they end up suffering terribly for their trouble. The Bahais had to let go of the intention of calling themselves Muslims in order to be somewhat effective at doing a similar attempt at renewal of Islaam.

After so many centuries and so many hundreds of millions of Muslim communities, Islaam shows no signs of overcoming its inherent affinity to totalitarianism. And any honest examination of the doctrine shows that such a situation is to be expected.

Even many Muslims keep reminding us that Islaam as it exists in practice should not be used to gauge the worth of Islaam as it is meant to be. Indian Muslims may easily be overall better integrated and more enlightened than the average, random Muslim... but that only shows how difficult it is for Islaam to know better or to teach better.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
India is on course to becoming the largest Muslim populated country in the world. I feel Muslims worldwide should take a leaf out of India's book.

Indian Muslims are tolerant, liberal and open minded. You don't hear of Al Qaeda or ISIS gaining a foothold in India despite the massive Muslim population.
Hindus and Muslims celebrate Diwali and Eid together and Hindus go to Sufi Shrines.

Let's not forget the Khans of Bollywood: Saif Ali, Shah Rukh, Aamir. They're married to Hindus

@Aupmanyav @Vinayaka @sayak83 @Jainarayan @Flankerl @Kirran @KenS @LuisDantas @Lvcifer Invictvs @Epic Beard Man @sunrise123 @Sha'irullah @Sakeenah @Notanumber @ShivaFan @ajay0 @Armoured @Grandliseur

You realise Pakistan and India were a single country, and split largely due to religion, right?

Sakeenah

@Aupmanyav @Vinayaka @sayak83 @Jainarayan @Flankerl @Kirran @KenS @LuisDantas @Lvcifer Invictvs @Epic Beard Man @sunrise123 @Sha'irullah @Sakeenah @Notanumber @ShivaFan @ajay0 @Armoured @Grandliseur

I assume you live in India, have you been to a majority Muslim country, and did you spend some time with Muslims there?

There are 1.6 bilion Muslims and majority of Muslims are tolerant and peaceful.I'm an Orthodox Sunni Muslim, I don't have to be a liberal Muslim to believe in peace and tolerance. Please stop judging the majority of us based on the actions of a violent minority.

"The largest and bloodiest war of the 20th century (and of all time) was World War II. The conflict, which lasted from 1939-1945, encompassed most of the planet. When it was finally over, more than 60 million people were dead. Of that enormous group, which represents about 3% of entire world population at the time, the huge majority (well over 50 million) were civilians.

World War I was also bloody, with 8.5 million military deaths plus an estimated 13 million more civilian deaths.
Third in the list of bloody wars of the 20th century is the Russian Civil War, which caused the deaths of an estimated 9 million people."

A Timeline of Major Conflicts and Wars that Shaped the 20th Century

This meas that non Muslims have been a lot more violent and intolerant. If I would think like our dear Muslim islamophobes, I should fear non Muslims! But I refuse to do that, I choose to put things in perspective. I will not judge the majority of my brothers and sisters in humanity based on the actions of the minority.

Please stop tagging me in your threads.

ronki23

You realise Pakistan and India were a single country, and split largely due to religion, right?
I assume you live in India, have you been to a majority Muslim country, and did you spend some time with Muslims there?

There are 1.6 bilion Muslims and majority of Muslims are tolerant and peaceful.I'm an Orthodox Sunni Muslim, I don't have to be a liberal Muslim to believe in peace and tolerance. Please stop judging the majority of us based on the actions of a violent minority.

"The largest and bloodiest war of the 20th century (and of all time) was World War II. The conflict, which lasted from 1939-1945, encompassed most of the planet. When it was finally over, more than 60 million people were dead. Of that enormous group, which represents about 3% of entire world population at the time, the huge majority (well over 50 million) were civilians.

World War I was also bloody, with 8.5 million military deaths plus an estimated 13 million more civilian deaths.
Third in the list of bloody wars of the 20th century is the Russian Civil War, which caused the deaths of an estimated 9 million people."

A Timeline of Major Conflicts and Wars that Shaped the 20th Century

This meas that non Muslims have been a lot more violent and intolerant. If I would think like our dear Muslim islamophobes, I should fear non Muslims! But I refuse to do that, I choose to put things in perspective. I will not judge the majority of my brothers and sisters in humanity based on the actions of the minority.

Please stop tagging me in your threads.

If you want to be technical about things then you have to realise that before World War 2 there was a holocaust of Jews in Muslim countries and during World War 2 Hitler recruited SS members from Bosnia and headed by the Grand Mufti of Palestine.

And I disagree with you with regards to Orthodox Islam as countries with Sha'ria have no freedom of religion and punish apostasy by death.

It was a necessity to partition India as those that chose to leave were the intolerant fundamentalists; look at the state of Pakistan now; the non Muslims have no human rights and Taliban is gaining power. Bangladesh is also becoming more and more dangerous for Hindus.

The ones that stayed in India were the good ones.

I also admire Jordan and Lebanon; their Muslims are also tolerant people

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

I also admire Jordan and Lebanon; their Muslims are also tolerant people

I dont know about Jordan, But when it comes to Lebanese Muslims, from my personal experience, having grown up with them, i dont hold the community in high regard, and they (especially the young ones) are far from tolerant, especially towards Hindus.

Maybe Indian Muslims are peace loving, but we also see the same Muslims of Indian origin (Pakistanis/Bangladeshi), having really bad situations in the countries that they are majority in.

Anyways, this is just my observation