• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam-Do you have any questions? Please no Athiestic Arguments

MyM

Hello :)

I prefer this thread to be kept clean from the bashing of athiests. I do not want to debate the THEORY of Darwism and Evolution.

If anyone wants to learn, sincerely, I am here to answer to the best of my knowledge, questions that I do know of. I am not a scholar, but have studied Islam for many decades now. I take from the Quran and Sunnah. I am not Shi'ee.

Psalm23

I prefer this thread to be kept clean from the bashing of athiests. I do not want to debate the THEORY of Darwism and Evolution.

If anyone wants to learn, sincerely, I am here to answer to the best of my knowledge, questions that I do know of. I am not a scholar, but have studied Islam for many decades now. I take from the Quran and Sunnah. I am not Shi'ee.

Please describe the similarities and differences between the sects of Islam.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not Shi'ee.

In that case, who do you believe are Ulil-Amr and why?

I've seen Sufis say it's the Sufi leaders.
I've seen most Sunni say it means governors and rulers.
I've seen some tafsirs (sunni) say it means scholars.

Of course, I believe the context of 4:54 and flow, shows it's to be an Ahlulbayt, like the Ahlulbayt of Ibrahim (a) and to me is obviously the Ahlulbayt of Mohammad (s).

And do you believe the context shows what 4:59 means or is it ambiguous and context does not show what it means?

MyM

In that case, who do you believe are Ulil-Amr and why?

I've seen Sufis say it's the Sufi leaders.
I've seen most Sunni say it means governors and rulers.
I've seen some tafsirs (sunni) say it means scholars.

Of course, I believe the context of 4:54 and flow, shows it's to be an Ahlulbayt, like the Ahlulbayt of Ibrahim (a) and to me is obviously the Ahlulbayt of Mohammad (s).

And do you believe the context shows what 4:59 means or is it ambiguous and context does not show what it means?

In Islam, it is considered the ones in authority.

How can you give bay'ah to ahulbayt of Mohammad peace and blessings be upon them all. They are all dead. One cannot swear allegiance to a dead person.

the Prophet pbuh said: “Whoever dies and did not make an oath of allegiance (to the Muslim leader) has died a death of jaahiliyyah.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1851). Saheeh Muslim

in the hadith it clearly shows that the Muslim leader is to be given the oath to. It isn't incumbent for all Muslims; what will suffice are scholars, and high statuses etc.

What is ambiguous about the verse? Is talking about the disbelievers and Allah is stating that he gave Ibraheem a book of wisdom and made him a great kingdom. The verses before were talking of the disbelievers and it carries onwards.

And Allah knows best

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The verses before were talking of the disbelievers and it carries onwards.
It's a warning not to disbelieve in Ulil-Amr who are the envied humans in 4:54 compared to family of Ibrahim (a) in my view. The emphasis is that God gave such great authority to Auli-Ibrahim in the past so how do they deny it with Auli-Mohammad? We are told to obey Ulil-Amr as opposed to disbelieving in God's signs and envying them for what God has given them out of his grace for sake of humanity.

MyM

It's a warning not to disbelieve in Ulil-Amr who are the envied humans in 4:54 compared to family of Ibrahim (a) in my view. The emphasis is that God gave such great authority to Auli-Ibrahim in the past so how do they deny it with Auli-Mohammad? We are told to obey Ulil-Amr as opposed to disbelieving in God's signs and envying them for what God has given them out of his grace for sake of humanity.

We are not denying anything :) If Mohammad pbuh were alive I would be the first one in line :) But we don't give bay'ah to a dead person or dead people.

The verse is talking the mindset of the Jews and how they went against and how their minds were at the time of Mohammad pbuh. Has nothing to do with the bay'ah of the uli amr :)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are not denying anything :) If Mohammad pbuh were alive I would be the first one in line :) But we don't give bay'ah to a dead person or dead people.

The verse is talking the mindset of the Jews and how they went against and how their minds were at the time of Mohammad pbuh. Has nothing to do with the bay'ah of the uli amr :)

It has to do with their denial of him (s) and his family (a) as well as their claim of religious authority. They accept Ahlulbayt of Ibrahim (a) but have a problem with Ahlulbayt of Mohammad (s).

The Quran is saying don't be like those people denying Ulil-Amr from them while accepting Ulil-Amr in the past such as Auli-Ibrahim (a), because hell awaits such people but rather obey them to obey God.

MyM

Please describe the similarities and differences between the sects of Islam.

Sure :) Let me start with a hadith from Mohammad pbuh (hadiths are sayings and actions of Mohammad pbuh-you cannot have one without the other)

It was reported from ‘Awf ibn Maalik who said: the Messenger of Allah pbuh said: “The Jews were divided into seventy-one sects, one of which is in Paradise and seventy are in the Fire. The Christians were divided into seventy-two sects, seventy-one of which are in the Fire and one is in Paradise. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, my Ummah will be divided into seventy-three sects, one of which will be in Paradise and seventy-two will be in the Fire.” It was said, O Messenger of Allah, who are they? He said, “Al-Jamaa’ah.” (al-Jamaa’ah is the ‘aqeedah (creed) and actions of the Messenger and his Companions peace be upon them all.
Sunan Ibn Maajah, no. 3982.

The hadith doesn't specify the names of such sects, but it does say anyone that goes away from the Quran and Sunnah are not on the straight path.

There are different Sects indeed

Sunni/Selef-those who follow the Quran and Sunnah
Shi'ee-those who follow their imaams who claim they are following the Quran and Sunnah according to them
Sufies-those who believe in the mystical beliefs who say they have personal experiences with Allah.
Bah'ulllah-those who have their own version of Islam.
Ibadi's-those who led rebellions against the companions of Mohammad pbuh.
Ahmadis-those who diverted away from Islam as early as the 1830's-upwards.

There are things that Islam holds as misguidances and can take you out of the fold of Islam, such as:

*Those who take other partners unto Allah.
*Those who are on a different aqeedah than that of Mohammad pbuh has taught.
*Those who with regard to imaan(faith) -they say faith and deeds are separate and faith doesn't increase or decrease.
*Those who innovate anything new to the religion--MAJOR FORBIDDENCE.
*Those who are misguided and say about the Quran as they will.
*Those who do not accept all the authenticated ahadith.
*Those who only take the Quran without the hadith of Mohammad pbuh
*Those who have intermediaries
*Those who hate what the prophet pbuh brought
*Those who ridicule and mock the messenger of Allah pbuh.
*Those who deal in black majic and jinn.
*Those who support the disbelievers against the believers.
*Those who turn away from Islam.

When Hudhayfah asked, “O Messenger of Allaah, we were in a state of ignorance and evil, then Allah brought us this good. Will there be any evil after this good?” the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Yes.” Hudahyfah asked, “Will there be any good after that evil?” He said, “Yes, but it would be tainted with dakhan (i.e. a little evil).” I asked, “What will its dakhan be?” He said, “There will be some people who will guide (people) according to something other than my guidance and will lead them according to something other than my Sunnah. You will see their actions and disapprove of them.” Hudhayfah said, “Will there be any evil after that good?” He said, “Yes, there will be some people who will invite others to the doors of Hell, and whoever accepts their invitation to it will be thrown in it (by them).” Hudhayfah said, “O Messenger of Allah, describe those people to us.” He said, “They will be from among us and speak our language (i.e., from among the Arabs).” Hudhayfah asked, “What do you command us to do at that point?” He said, “Adhere to the jamaa’ah (group) of the Muslims and their leader.” Hudhayfah asked, “What if there is no jamaa’ah and no leader?” He said, “Keep away from all those different sects, even if you have to bite (i.e. eat) the root of a tree, till you die while you are still in that state.” (Narrated by Saheeh al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Is music forbidden? What about television and films? What about theater, and what about fiction books?

MyM

Is music forbidden? What about television and films? What about theater, and what about fiction books?

In Islam, musical instruments are forbidden. Television itself is not forbidden. The shows should represent the Muslim and his character. Fiction books are not forbidden but they do take away from practicing one's religion. (he could be getting good deeds by reading Quran, ahadith, going to lessons, doing good deeds. )

Many things seem so wrong to the ordinary laymen. But that is only because they don't understand that the reason why Allah put us on this earth. In Islam, that is, to worship Allah. People are so used to the indulgements, pleasures of this life and not realize that this life is just a distraction. In Islam, we are put here, we are tested here and we will be brought to account all that we do. Inshallah (God willing) we do right by what we do and with no regrets before it is too late. :)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Are there any other forbidden foods other than pork? What about carbonated beverages such as soda?

MyM

Are there any other forbidden foods other than pork? What about carbonated beverages such as soda?

In Islam, anything that causes harm to our bodies we should stay away from. But drinks, yes, like alcohol.

“O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, Al-Ansab (stone altars for sacrifices to idols etc), and AlAzlam (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitan’s (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.” al-Maa’idah 5:90

“By means of intoxicants and games of chance, Satan seeks only to sow enmity and hatred amongst you, and to turn you away from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. (5:94)

Jabir on him peace, reported that the messenger of Allah pbuh said: What intoxicants in greater quantity is unlawful also in small quantity. (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maja)

Food

All kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals. There are certain types of water animals which are forbidden such as crocodiles, frogs, otters and turtles.

We are not to eat crow or rat or vultures. Any animal that has fangs is forbidden to eat. Pork is forbidden.

“Say (O Muhammad pbuh): I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering). But whosoever is forced by necessity without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits; (for him) certainly, your Lord is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-An’aam 6:145]

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character

The fourth pillar of Islam, Ramadan fasting, can't be equally followed and adhered to by everybody in the world.
Ramadan fasting rules, as written on behalf of Muhammad in the Quran, requires dawn to dusk fasting for all healthy Islamic followers worldwide during the month of Ramadan. The dawn to dusk fasting rules as written in the Quran does not apply equally to all persons in all regions. This law can't be applied equally to all regions of the world. The period of sunrise to sunset varies according to the latitude of where a person lives. Therefore, equal periods of day and night don't exist for everybody. Consequently, Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting can't possibly be followed equally by all healthy Muslims. The length of time required for sunrise to sunset fasting during Ramadan is based solely on a person's geographical location. I think it doesn't make any sense and it's unfair that the amount of Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting time required for each Muslim is different based solely on the latitude of where the Muslim lives. Because the southern most inhabitants experience very short days during summer month of Ramadan, and they would only be required to fast for a few hours a day. The northern most inhabitants experience daylight throughout the month of Ramadan, and they would die from starvation while fasting for a whole month without food and drink. Nowhere in the Quran is it written that people of the polar regions can break their fast at the time of sunset until sunrise of the non-polar country nearest to them. Was this law was added later in Islam in order to correct a mistake made by Muhammed?

Polar Prayer Times & Fasting | AMJA Online

Last edited:

MyM

The fourth pillar of Islam, Ramadan fasting, can't be equally followed and adhered to by everybody in the world.
Ramadan fasting rules, as written on behalf of Muhammad in the Quran, requires dawn to dusk fasting for all healthy Islamic followers worldwide during the month of Ramadan. The dawn to dusk fasting rules as written in the Quran does not apply equally to all persons in all regions. This law can't be applied equally to all regions of the world. The period of sunrise to sunset varies according to the latitude of where a person lives. Therefore, equal periods of day and night don't exist for everybody. Consequently, Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting can't possibly be followed equally by all healthy Muslims. The length of time required for sunrise to sunset fasting during Ramadan is based solely on a person's geographical location. I think it doesn't make any sense and it's unfair that the amount of Ramadan sunrise to sunset fasting time required for each Muslim is different based solely on the latitude of where the Muslim lives. Because the southern most inhabitants experience very short days during summer month of Ramadan, and they would only be required to fast for a few hours a day. The northern most inhabitants experience daylight throughout the month of Ramadan, and they would die from starvation while fasting for a whole month without food and drink. Nowhere in the Quran is it written that people of the polar regions can break their fast at the time of sunset until sunrise of the non-polar country nearest to them. Was this law was added later in Islam in order to correct a mistake made by Muhammed?

In Islam,

Whoever lives in a land where the people can distinguish night from day by the rising of the dawn and the setting of the sun, but their day is very long in summer and very short in winter, are obliged to offer the five daily prayers at the times that are known in sharee’ah, because of the general meaning of the verses in which Allah says

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours” al-Nisa’ 4:103

We look towards Saudia. If you cannot distinguish. The main.

The one who lives in a land where the sun does not set during the summer and the sun does not rise during the winter, or he lives in a land where the day lasts for sixth months and the night lasts for six months for example, should offer the five daily prayers during each twenty-four hour period, and he should try to work out their times, based on the closest land to him where the times of the five prayers are distinct from one another.

If you cannot, follow that of the sharee'ah ...which is Saudia.

Suave

Simulated character
In Islam,

Whoever lives in a land where the people can distinguish night from day by the rising of the dawn and the setting of the sun, but their day is very long in summer and very short in winter, are obliged to offer the five daily prayers at the times that are known in sharee’ah, because of the general meaning of the verses in which Allah says

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours” al-Nisa’ 4:103

We look towards Saudia. If you cannot distinguish. The main.

The one who lives in a land where the sun does not set during the summer and the sun does not rise during the winter, or he lives in a land where the day lasts for sixth months and the night lasts for six months for example, should offer the five daily prayers during each twenty-four hour period, and he should try to work out their times, based on the closest land to him where the times of the five prayers are distinct from one another.

If you cannot, follow that of the sharee'ah ...which is Saudia.

Is this Fatwah corrective of Muhammad's lack of realizing that sunrise to sundown Ramadan fasting during summer could not possibly be followed by polar Muslims?

MyM

Is this Fatwah corrective of Muhammad's lack of realizing that sunrise to sundown Ramadan fasting during summer could not possibly be followed by polar Muslims?

Why are you demeaning Mohammad pbuh

He was not lacking reasoning. The fasting still must take place.

Shaul

Premium Member

Do you support the Pact of Umar as just? If so, would lands ruled by dhimmis be ethically justified in implementing similar restrictions for Muslims who within those lands?

Suave

Simulated character
Why are you demeaning Mohammad pbuh

He was not lacking reasoning. The fasting still must take place.

I am neither questioning Muhammad's reasoning nor critical thinking skills, please let us consider me as simply questioning if this Fatwah is corrective of Muhammad's apparent lack of realizing sunrise to sundown fasting as prescribed in the Quran can not be possibly followed by polar Muslims during a summer month of Ramadan.; this question you have refused answering thus far.