• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam & Alcohol

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I am well aware that alcohol causes health and social problems. Of all deaths caused by drugs, around 25% are caused by alcohol. And alcohol does fuel outbursts of aggressive behaviour in some people. This subject is widely discussed here in Australia where I live.

The point I am making is, despite that, the overall quality of life is superior here. Tell me FearGod, what are the statistics for refugees and people seeking asylum ? Can you show a list of the countries which people are most enthusiastic about leaving ?

How many peolpe leave the west to seek a better life in a muslim country ? The answer is either zero or very close to zero. Nobody leaves countries where alcohol is available to live in a muslim country. Not even muslims !

Please Fear God, tell me, why do you think that is ?

Have you considered the possibility that for most people, alcohol has a positive effect in their lives ? Alcohol is a disinhibitor. That means that people are more likely to reveal their true feelings when affected by alcohol. This is why it is considered to have a 'humanising' effect on people - in communities where alcohol is consumed, people are more aware of the truth about each others feelings. That is the reason for the famous saying 'in vino veritas' - which means in wine there is truth. The truth being referred to here is the actual personal truth about peoples feelings, not some kind of religious idea.

So perhaps the fact that in non-muslim countries people have the cultural habit of drinking together means that we are more honest with one another, and therefore more tolerant of one another. This may also explain why, without such severely enforced moral codes as in muslim countries, the western countries are happier and more prosperous. And you cannot deny that they are ! Why else would muslims being coming to live here ?

Our discussion was about alcohol and not the quality of life per country,the Quran didn't mention such logic,but just saying that alcohol got more harm than benefits.

Anyway,if talking about GDP (PPP) per capita for each country,then we find out Qatar ranked No.1,next Kuwait and UAE whereas Australia is ranked No.16
Reference: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then about muslims leaving to Ausralia for a better place to live,freedom to drink and doing other things which you think that they weren't allowed to do in their homelands,then you are wrong again.

Most arab australians are from Lebanon and Syria and over 50% are christians,they didn't leave for Australia to drink wine or dating girls but for money or a better quality of life,which isn't for alcohol.
Reference:Arab Australian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lebanon and Syria do allowed drinking alcohol.

Drinking & Dancing in Syria
[youtube]OqsYbTA_xLQ[/youtube]
Zen Lounge in Damascus, Syria (Summer 2009) - YouTube

Drinking & Dancing in Lebanon
[youtube]LeD3SR0j8nk[/youtube]
Muthafar in Lebanon - Night Club - YouTube

Talking about myself who had once an experience with alcohol which you said that it is good that the people will have more truth on their feelings toward each other,you are absolutely right,thats what happened to me while i was in a visit to the philippines,i was in an apartment with my 2 friends,one day our neighbor invited us to a birthday party,i was an atheist at that time whereas my friends were muslims,
we went to our neighbor apartment which was close to ours,then the party was mix of boys and girls,drinks,cakes and pleasure,my 2 friends escaped and i said to them go to hell you stupids and i stayed to enjoy and i had to drink in the first time in my life,then a drunk girl talked with me,where are you from,you are cute....then i got a girl friend,then i noticed while my eyes looking around that the wife of my neighbor was winking at me,and the girl's hand beside me touched my hand.

That was the first time in my life that i did both drinking and having my girl friend which i later on went with her to see movie,but actually not seeing the movie,but doing some crazy things on the dark,then our relation developed further that i commit the great sin in Islam which was the adultery.

One day,while i was going to enter my apartment,the neighbor's wife saw me and said,hey..how about to enjoy some drinks,i am alone and feel boring,then i went to her apartment and again i commit a b..**** one more adultery.

After some days i went to the movie with my girl friend,it was a big building which got 4 movie theatres and some stores and restaurants and was called GreenBelt,that was around the year 1988,when suddenly the movie theatre shaked and the people start to run outside the building shouting lindol..lindol,which i know later on that it was earthquake...earthquake,as i was living in Kuwait and i never know how earthquake looks like,but it was horrible.

i went to my apartment and turn on the tv,my friends transfered to another apartment because of my stupid acts,and my girl friend stayed with me most of the time,i tried to find a channel talking about the earthquake,there was as i remember only 4 channels at that time,there was no satellite as today,there was no news,so i tried to fetch in the radio channels,then in one channel i heard a man talking about the earthquake,you know Philippines is a christian country with few muslims living there,guess what that man was talking about,i was shocked that i stopped at a muslim channel in the philippines talking about the earthquake that hit Manila,he was saying,how you will face god if you died while you are making great sins,have this as a lesson that you got still the chance to repent,so i got the message,i did and i stopped and i am always asking god to forgive me, i was blind thinking that what i was doing was the pleasure,i didn't drink again,more than 20 years and i will never do it again.

apophenia

I followed your link about Arab Australians. The figures quoted there are about all Arab people in Australia, not refugees and asylum seekers.
Here is what I said -

The point I am making is, despite that, the overall quality of life is superior here. Tell me FearGod, what are the statistics for refugees and people seeking asylum ? Can you show a list of the countries which people are most enthusiastic about leaving ?

So, you have not shown anything about that. The article you linked to said -
"Arab Australians are people in Australia who have ancestry from the Arab World and are citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia, totaling approximately 308,104. The majority of Arab Australian originate from Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq and Morocco and other Arab nations, which are small in numbers but present nonetheless."

So the Lebanese you are talking about are primarily the descendants of migrants who migrated here over many decades to make a happier and more prosperous life for themselves. And, as you pointed out, half of them are christian (actually I haven't checked that, so I will accept it for now), so my argument does not apply to them.

And I never said they came here for alcohol ! I am not stupid FearGod. And I cannot be easily confused by fallacious arguments !

So far your arguments are not valid. Now let's look at your argument about GDP(PPP).

From Wikipedia - Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The economic growth of Qatar has been almost exclusively based on its petrol and natural gas industry, which began in 1940.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar#cite_note-56The country has experienced rapid growth over the last several years due to high oil prices, and in 2008 posted its eighth consecutive budget surplus. Economic policy is focused on developing Qatar's non-associated natural gas reserves and increasing private and foreign investment in non-energy sectors, but oil and gas still account for more than 50% of GDP; roughly 85% of export earnings, and 70% of government revenues."

Qatar has one valuable commodity which has made the country very wealthy. Now have a look at the rest of the list from the article you linked to -
You say Australia is 16th, so you have chosen to use the figures from the World Bank. You note that UAE and Kuwait are ahead of Australia, which is true, but only by a small amount, and like Qatar, purely because of large oil reserves and the current high price of oil .

Most western developed countries have GDP(PPP) between $30,000 and $50,000. Most muslim countries are well below this, even Saudi Arabia, which comes in at position 40 ! And below that ? Have a good long look FearGod. Your argument is shredded by the facts you draw to my attention. I won't bother listing the details, they speak for themselves, and you have made my point more strongly than I did myself.

I have answered those points because you have tried to confuse the issue with data from Wikipedia which supports my argument, not yours.

Now that I have dealt with that, we can get back to the thread topic, which is "Islam and alcohol".

Your admission of the effects alcohol had on you is very honest and worth discussing. I admire you for being so frank about it. I am considering my reply very carefully, especially in respect of your honesty about it, but now it is late and time for bed, so I will continue to formulate my response and post it soon.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I followed your link about Arab Australians. The figures quoted there are about all Arab people in Australia, not refugees and asylum seekers.
Here is what I said -

So, you have not shown anything about that. The article you linked to said -
"Arab Australians are people in Australia who have ancestry from the Arab World and are citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia, totaling approximately 308,104. The majority of Arab Australian originate from Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq and Morocco and other Arab nations, which are small in numbers but present nonetheless."

So the Lebanese you are talking about are primarily the descendants of migrants who migrated here over many decades to make a happier and more prosperous life for themselves. And, as you pointed out, half of them are christian (actually I haven't checked that, so I will accept it for now), so my argument does not apply to them.

And I never said they came here for alcohol ! I am not stupid FearGod. And I cannot be easily confused by fallacious arguments !

So far your arguments are not valid. Now let's look at your argument about GDP(PPP).

From Wikipedia - Qatar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The economic growth of Qatar has been almost exclusively based on its petrol and natural gas industry, which began in 1940.The country has experienced rapid growth over the last several years due to high oil prices, and in 2008 posted its eighth consecutive budget surplus. Economic policy is focused on developing Qatar's non-associated natural gas reserves and increasing private and foreign investment in non-energy sectors, but oil and gas still account for more than 50% of GDP; roughly 85% of export earnings, and 70% of government revenues."

Qatar has one valuable commodity which has made the country very wealthy. Now have a look at the rest of the list from the article you linked to -
You say Australia is 16th, so you have chosen to use the figures from the World Bank. You note that UAE and Kuwait are ahead of Australia, which is true, but only by a small amount, and like Qatar, purely because of large oil reserves and the current high price of oil .

Most western developed countries have GDP(PPP) between $30,000 and $50,000. Most muslim countries are well below this, even Saudi Arabia, which comes in at position 40 ! And below that ? Have a good long look FearGod. Your argument is shredded by the facts you draw to my attention. I won't bother listing the details, they speak for themselves, and you have made my point more strongly than I did myself.

I have answered those points because you have tried to confuse the issue with data from Wikipedia which supports my argument, not yours.

Now that I have dealt with that, we can get back to the thread topic, which is "Islam and alcohol".

Your admission of the effects alcohol had on you is very honest and worth discussing. I admire you for being so frank about it. I am considering my reply very carefully, especially in respect of your honesty about it, but now it is late and time for bed, so I will continue to formulate my response and post it soon.

We gone far away from the main article which was alcohol and islam,anyway

Lets investigate Australia in more details.

HOMELESSNESS IN AUSTRALIA.

The majority of long term homeless people are found in the large cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. It is estimated that on any given night approximately 105,000 people will be homeless

Of 105,000 homeless people in Australia on census night in 2006:[2]
  • 75% were Male.
  • 20% were between the age of 12-18.
  • 12% were under the age of 12.
  • 23% were staying in boarding houses.
  • 45% were staying with friends and relatives.
  • 16% were sleeping rough.
  • 14% were staying in accommodation provided by the Supported Accommodation Assistance Program (SAAP
Reference : Homelessness in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

r289124_1235012.jpg

i don't know what is your comment about such problem and i don't know about your logic to connect such things with religion,there are many countries all over the world which have many problems,some are atheists,others are christians and yes muslims as well,so i can't get your point.

Agnimitra

Its a hilarious situation when muslims cannot drink wine on Earth, while you may in heaven .

THE IRONY TICKLES ME

:)

Koran 47:15
Here is a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised. In it are...rivers of wine...
Koran 37:40-48
But the true servants of God shall be well provided for,...they shall be served with goblet filled at a gushing fountain, white and delicious to those who drink it. It will neither dull their senses nor befuddle them.
Koran 56:7-40
They shall recline on jewelled couches face to face, and there shalt wait on them immortal youths with bowls and ewers and a cup of purest wine:
Koran 83:23-26
The righteous will surely dwell in bliss. Reclining upon soft couches they will gaze around them: and in their faces you shall mark the glow of joy. They shall be given a pure wine to drink, securely sealed, whose very dregs are musk...

apophenia

We gone far away from the main article which was alcohol and islam,anyway

No, there was a connection, which is that if alcohol is something which destroys society, then how can it be that the west is doing better than muslim countries.

You just tried to trick me with false evidence, as I pointed out, and you have not admitted that, and now you think we should both ignore that and move on.

Are you interested in serious debate ? Or will you just change the subject if your argument fails ?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
No, there was a connection, which is that if alcohol is something which destroys society, then how can it be that the west is doing better than muslim countries.

You just tried to trick me with false evidence, as I pointed out, and you have not admitted that, and now you think we should both ignore that and move on.

Are you interested in serious debate ? Or will you just change the subject if your argument fails ?

Why i have to trick you,drink as much as you wish alcohol,that isn't of my business and i don't care about you,to be honest.

i admire many things from the west and one of their proverbs which i do really admire and found to be true which says "you can't fix stupid" :)

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Its a hilarious situation when muslims cannot drink wine on Earth, while you may in heaven .

THE IRONY TICKLES ME

:)

Koran 47:15
Here is a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised. In it are...rivers of wine...
Koran 37:40-48
But the true servants of God shall be well provided for,...they shall be served with goblet filled at a gushing fountain, white and delicious to those who drink it. It will neither dull their senses nor befuddle them.
Koran 56:7-40
They shall recline on jewelled couches face to face, and there shalt wait on them immortal youths with bowls and ewers and a cup of purest wine:
Koran 83:23-26
The righteous will surely dwell in bliss. Reclining upon soft couches they will gaze around them: and in their faces you shall mark the glow of joy. They shall be given a pure wine to drink, securely sealed, whose very dregs are musk...

in heaven there is no pain,illness...etc and the most important of all that there is no more tests,while you are drunk you may do harm to others and to yourself,and such things never happen in the heaven beside that things in heaven can't be even imagined,
not only wine,but there will be an amazing things which have never been heard or seen before,the Prophet told us that within Paradise are things that no eyes have ever seen, nor ears have ever heard, and that things in it are beyond our imagination and comprehension, but we all have our own personal ideas of what eternal bliss would probably be like.

[youtube]LQhT83PpZ4s[/youtube]
Why is alcohol forbidden in Islam? - YouTube

Last edited:

Agnimitra

in heaven there is no pain,illness...etc and the most important of all that there is no more tests,while you are drunk you may do harm to others and to yourself,and such things never happen in the heaven beside that things in heaven can't be even imagined,
not only wine,but there will be an amazing things which have never been heard or seen before,the Prophet told us that within Paradise are things that no eyes have ever seen, nor ears have ever heard, and that things in it are beyond our imagination and comprehension, but we all have our own personal ideas of what eternal bliss would probably be like.

Let me paraphrase your statements , let me strip them of poetry

1. Alcohol is , after all, nice.God wants man to have it, ultimately.

2. Pain and pleasure swaps in heaven

3. Many spouses, rivers of wine, inexhaustible pleasures and such are the highest achievement possible with this human life

4. Enhanced versions of Earthly pleasures are mans ultimate goal and purpose.

What if I was averse to sex for just pleasure , wine and needless excesses of culinary while I was alive?How am I expected to approve of your version of Salvation?

What if, I followed discipline , meditation and self control in my life.?What If I refused to agree that your idea of bliss is correct?

What if I am a woman? What do I get in heaven? 72 men?

These are my legitimate misgivings. Kindly answer me.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Let me paraphrase your statements , let me strip them of poetry

1. Alcohol is , after all, nice.God wants man to have it, ultimately.

2. Pain and pleasure swaps in heaven

3. Many spouses, rivers of wine, inexhaustible pleasures and such are the highest achievement possible with this human life

4. Enhanced versions of Earthly pleasures are mans ultimate goal and purpose.

What if I was averse to sex for just pleasure , wine and needless excesses of culinary while I was alive?How am I expected to approve of your version of Salvation?

What if, I followed discipline , meditation and self control in my life.?What If I refused to agree that your idea of bliss is correct?

What if I am a woman? What do I get in heaven? 72 men?

These are my legitimate misgivings. Kindly answer me.

There is no 72 women for men in heaven,don't listen for what others say,but investigate the truth by yourself.

The quran told us there is no injustice on the day of Judgement,only god the one to decide where every soul will go,not me or anyone else.

This day every soul shall be rewarded for what it has earned; no injustice (shall be done) this day; surely Allah is quick in reckoning. (40:17)

So today no soul shall be wronged anything, and you shall not be recompensed, except according to what you have been doing. (36:54)

Our soul is one,we are male and female for the reproduction purposes,just our bodies are different,but we are exactly the same spiritually.

It is He who produced you from one living soul, and then a lodging-place, and then a repository. We have distinguished the signs for a people who understand. (6:98)

Mankind, fear your Lord, who created you of a single soul, and from it created its mate, and from the pair of them scattered abroad many men and women; and fear God by whom you demand one of another, and the wombs; surely God ever watches over you. (4:1)

[youtube]-_ihf_oPvlg[/youtube]
An Atheist defending Quran and Islam !!

Agnimitra

There is no 72 women for men in heaven,don't listen for what others say,but investigate the truth by yourself.

The quran told us there is no injustice on the day of Judgement,only god the one to decide where every soul will go,not me or anyone else.

I am sorry,

I did investigate myself.

Though the Koran does not say "72" , the relevant hadiths do say so.

The number is irrelevant actually. Koran does speak of virgins. it does say in verse 56:36 that Muslim men will be awarded with virgins in Paradise. The Qur'an describes their physical attributes, for example they will have large eyes (56:22) and big breasts (78:33) and so on

Do you deny the Hadiths?

Please tell me what the Koran says women will get in heaven.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I am sorry,

I did investigate myself.

Though the Koran does not say "72" , the relevant hadiths do say so.

The number is irrelevant actually. Koran does speak of virgins. it does say in verse 56:36 that Muslim men will be awarded with virgins in Paradise. The Qur'an describes their physical attributes, for example they will have large eyes (56:22) and big breasts (78:33) and so on

Do you deny the Hadiths?

Please tell me what the Koran says women will get in heaven.

Which hadith,may you please quote the hadith so i can investigate it myself.

Regarding verses in the quran that you mentioned saying Muslim Men,and large eyes girls (do you think that looks attractive) and big breast (do you think that looks attractive).

You didn't investigate the quran yourself,but you just read what have been said,
i will present the verses in it's arabic language and i'll ask you where it's mentioned muslim men,women,breast and from the whole quran the importance of such rewards in just 2 verses contains just 4 words,anyway

i'll start of what you think of big breast :)

28992aa.png

and let us see what is the actual words in arabic which means breast or bosom

Reference : bosom -

41435bosom.png

Reference : breast -

28429breast.png

Look to the arabic words for breast and bosom and the arabic words in the verse are they similar,an easy job,i made it easy for you to check by yourself,you can also use google translator to compare the meaning of breast and bosom in arabic and search for it in the quran

apophenia

I have not watched the video, because I am nearly out of broadband credit, but I would like to hear you define houris as you understand it. I think I understand why you object to that criticism of Islam, so I would appreciate hearing your understanding of the idea.

Please read this - Are all - and tell me what you think.

I think the 72 virgins idea is very misunderstood, perhaps even by many muslims, do you agree ? .

We will get back to the topic of alcohol. I understand your position, and I would like you to understand mine. I have consumed a little more wine than usual tonight - not a great deal, but enough to fully feel its effects (about one bottle of red wine). I decided to post while affected by alcohol, because otherwise I would be a hypocrite if I claimed that I am not reduced to animal ignorance when slightly drunk.

I am quite clear, because the core of awareness, once cultivated through a persistent habit of mindfulness, is the same under all circumstances. This habit of mindfulness can be cultivated through what you call religious faith and action (like praying five times a day, among other things). It can also be cultivated through the practice of various forms of yoga. BTW, I did study with a Mevlevi sheik for a while , and so was introduced to quran and Rumi, Hafiz, Attar and others. I am not your enemy.

I would also include the practices of that other 95% of the world which I reminded eselam of. I assume you understand that the indigenous people of North, Central and South America, Australia, Micronesia, Africa and so forth have their own cultural and spiritual ways. You don't assume that Allah condemns them to hell because no-one showed them a quran, right ?

There are cultures which accomodate the use of various intoxicants without it being a problem. Well, there certainly have been for centuries, but the effects of modern civilisation have changed some for the worse without a doubt. You might find it useful and educational to read about spiritual use of mind altering drugs in the context of specific cultures to get some idea of what I mean. It's not all bad news.

For example, in Central America and Mexico there has been a long tradition of the use of psilocybe mushrooms to enhance social understanding and connectedness and also directly teach how to enter true prayer as you would call it. In some communities, whole families took these mushrooms together - adults, children, grandparents, all together. And for them that is a deeply bonding and spiritual experience. They submit. 'Islam' in your language.

There are many other examples. Study some anthropology, find out what 'ethnobotanical' means.

Different social structures work in different ways. You may be misjudging other cultures in a way similar to the active misunderstanding of what is meant by houris.Without education about the detailed workings of a culture and its ideas, foolish and gross interpretations are common.

There is plenty of evidence that most people can handle alcohol. If they couldn't, our society wouldn't function. eselam said I was one in a million, but that is simply very wrong. Alcohol is commonly drunk most nights by a huge percentage of our population, without the terrible outcomes you are pointing to. Good family people, disciplined professional people.It is a cultural norm. This is the reason I pointed to prosperity and quality of life in western countries. If alcohol was really that bad, how do a mob of drunken heathens manage to function better than most muslim countries when measured in those terms ? It wouldn't be possible. And you must be honest here about other aspects too - look at the muslim world. There is plenty of violence muslim to muslim. True ? And this isn't just a modern development. The current events in many muslim countries are cause for both hope and sadness. I wish them well. But the absence of alcohol doesn't reduce the levels of violence and corruption does it ? How many western countries have internal wars with massive loss of life ?

That may seem like an unfair question, and you may say I am getting off topic. But the point is that the effect of moral codes is seen as social outcomes. And in that regard I must agree with you that homelessness is an issue which does have links to alcoholism in many cases. Usually, the homeless are people who were abused and traumatised in their childhood, by members of their own family. Often that involved parents affected by excessive alcohol. I know a lot about this, FearGod, because I have known many such people (many compared to most Australians). And yes it is ugly and yes there are cultural factors at work which cause it.

That's enough for now. I will have one more drink, and as we say here, I'll drink to you - I don't doubt the good intention that drives your thinking.

Peace and goodwill to you.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I know that there is some goodness from alcohol. If it was allowed for Muslims, there are plenty of food that I'd be happy to eat which have alcohol.

If you ban something to a certain age group and permit it for other age groups then I'm sure you know how "effective" that is. The idea of fake ID was developed in non-Islamic societies as a result of alcohol being banned for teenagers.
The alternative of banning it all together from adults doesn't make much sense either. It might work in some Muslim countries (although not even that is true, as I have met plenty of Muslims who drank regardless) but it's not going to work in France or the Czech Republic.

You are focusing on the idea that you drink in moderation therefore people like yourself should not have to pay the consequences of others and be deprived of alcohol. There are people who, if allowed to have a gun, would not use it to kill anything. But the fear of them snapping one day has caused governments to either ban them altogether or grant licences to everyone who can get it. There are more shooting and killings in the US than there are in Australia even though guns have been given to 'responsible' people. They wouldn't just give it to those with a history I presume.
So what is your solution? to ban any material or social products that have the potential to be abused? after we ban alcohol what else should we ban?

apophenia

One other thing. Nafs al-Ammara.

I would appreciate your definition of this term, because I think it relates to our conversation. It is a term which relates to tendencies which one way or another must be overcome by one's moral core, which is activated by 'remembrance of allah'. Is that a correct understanding in your view ?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
All kinds of intoxicants are forbidden in Islam, so no matter what the type of alcohol/wine is, it would still be forbidden from consumption for a Muslim.

I think that arguments about the pros and cons of drinking alcoholic beverages in light of such a religious regulation — whether for or against it — aren't very useful; I wouldn't drink wine, for example, even if some studies supposedly indicated that it is healthy to drink it. The same goes for eating pork, gambling, or any other activity that is clearly forbidden in Islam.

I also don't expect that arguments on either side (i.e. for or against alcohol consumption) would make a difference as to a Muslim's following said regulation. It is in the Qur'an, which is held as the highest regulatory authority in Islam. I would think that no amount of studies can somehow override that for a Muslim and make them violate the Qur'anic regulations. (At least for most Muslims.)

And to be honest, I also don't expect a non-Muslim to not drink wine just because it is forbidden in Islam. It's not like I don't eat shellfish because it is forbidden in Judaism, for example.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
One other thing. Nafs al-Ammara.

I would appreciate your definition of this term, because I think it relates to our conversation. It is a term which relates to tendencies which one way or another must be overcome by one's moral core, which is activated by 'remembrance of allah'. Is that a correct understanding in your view ?

Hi,apophenia

i am sorry that i am bussy a little bit with the real world,i'll reply you with pleasure later today,hopefullly :)

The Universe
The entire universe and all its contents are the creation of Allah. The Earth and the Skies, Sun, Moon and Stars, Mountains and Oceans, all living creatures and each and everything owes its existence to Allah and Allah alone.
Almighty Allah says in the Holy Quraan:
"Behold! In the creation of the Heavens and the Earth; In the alteration of the Night and the Day; In the sailing of the Ships through the Ocean for the profit of Mankind; In the Rain which Allah sends down from the Skies, and the Life which He gives therewith, to an Earth that is Dead; In the Beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the Earth; In the change of the Winds, and the Clouds which they trail like their slaves between the Sky and the Earth; (Here) Indeed are Signs for a People that are Wise."
(Surah Al-Baqarah:164)
It is clearly evident from the above verse that Almighty Allah created everything and all these creations function according to Allah's wishes and commands.
The Human Being
Then followed the creation of the Human Being.
Almighty Allah states: "Man We did create from a Quintessence (of clay)." (Surah Mominoon:12)
Amongst all of Allah's creations the Human Being has been honoured as the best. Almighty Allah says: "We have indeed created man in the best of moulds." (Surah At-Teen:4)
So the world was created and so was man.
There is no fault in Allah's creation. To man, Allah gave the purest and best nature, and man's duty is to preserve the pattern on which Allah has made him.
Almighty Allah has exalted the Human even higher than the Angels, but if he uses his will and discretion is wrong then he will be abased to the lowest possible position.
The Shariah
Only Allah knows what is right and beneficial for His creation, and alternatively what is wrong and harmful. The Holy Quraan clearly states the lawful and unlawful actions. All Humans must follow this Law of Allah which is known as the `Shariah' or Islamic Law.
Amongst the clear-cut prohibitions is the use of Alcohol in any form whatsoever.
The Quraan Prohibits Alcohol
Regarding Alcohol - The Holy Quraan states: "They ask Thee concerning Wine and Gambling, Say: In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." (Surah Al-Baqarah:219)
The Arabic word used in this text is Khamr which is applied to all intoxicating liquor or drug.
The Quraan further states in Surah Al-Maaidah verse 90: "O Ye who believe! Intoxicants and Gambling, Sacrificing to Stones, and (divination by) Arrows, are an abomination, of Satan's handiwork; Keep away from such, that Ye may prosper."
Take Heed - Oh Muslims!
Quraanic evidence has been presented to you regarding the use of Alcohol. Allah - The All Knowing and full of Wisdom knows what is best for us - His creation. We must abstain fully from all forms and uses of alcohol.
No - Drinking!
So, firstly, all Muslims must not consume Alcohol at all. It is amongst the Major Sins and will have to be accounted for on the day of Judgement. Besides the Islamic ruling, we all know too well the harms of this evil. This is one of the main roots of corruption in society. Violence, family tragedies, suicides are a few of the fatal results of this disease. May Almighty Allah save us all. Ameen.
No - Selling!
The selling of Alcohol is also forbidden. It is completely Haraam for Muslims to be trading in this trade. It is also forbidden to sell alcohol as part of your business. Grocers, Newsagents and Mini-Market traders should keep this in mind. Therefore, no question remains regarding trading in Off-Licences, Pubs or Public Houses. In selling of these in Take-Aways and Restaurants also is completely Haraam. Muslims should also not work or employ any of their family members in such Haraam Environments.
May Allah give us the right understanding. Ameen.
Conclusion
The consumption of Alcohol can destroy families, communities and in fact a whole locality. Man commits such autrocious crimes in the state of being drunk which can only be described as babaric and ruthless. A life of a drunkard becomes hell and of all those connected with him. And remember, it's an addiction. A few drops will lead to a glassful which in turn will lead to bottles. Then there will be no stopping.
Selling these products makes ones livelihood Haraam. All his life will pass through Haraam. His clothing, sustenance e.t.c. if bought from this income will also be doubtful. So, Oh Muslims - Take heed and abstain from the mother and roots of all vices and evils. May Allah grant us the right understanding. Ameen-Ya-Rabbal-A'lameen.

apophenia

The consumption of Alcohol can destroy families, communities and in fact a whole locality. Man commits such autrocious crimes in the state of being drunk which can only be described as babaric and ruthless. A life of a drunkard becomes hell and of all those connected with him. And remember, it's an addiction. A few drops will lead to a glassful which in turn will lead to bottles. Then there will be no stopping.

If you can't handle alcohol, don't drink. If you are a muslim and you want to maintain your religion, don't drink.

As I have already said, I drink in moderation most days. I have done for many years. A few drops did lead to bottles a few times. And I didn't do anything terrible.Because I'm not a terrible person. That is true of the millions of Australians who drink some alcohol every day. They don't do terrible things when they drink. They live happy and peaceful lives, and enjoy a few drinks after work. That is the truth for most people.

There are tendencies in humans, and they will express themselves one way or another. Angry, indisciplined and heartless people are very dangerous when drunk. They are also very dangerous when sober. The real problem is being angry, indisciplined and heartless. Such people are found among muslims and non-muslims alike.

Does cruelty and ignorance require alcohol ? No. Have a good look at the world - there is plenty of cruelty and ignorance in places with no alcohol.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
All kinds of intoxicants are forbidden in Islam, so no matter what the type of alcohol/wine is, it would still be forbidden from consumption for a Muslim.
However you cannot deny that there are heavy drug problems in various Muslim countries. From Afghanitstan to Iran. So there is not much point for Muslims to go around lecturing about the evils of alcohol while there has been heavy opium production in Afghanistan, or when there is a serious drugs problem in Tehran. Furthermore, I'm sure the Muslim members here are quite aware that there are plenty of Muslims who themselves abuse alcohol.

I also don't expect that arguments on either side (i.e. for or against alcohol consumption) would make a difference as to a Muslim's following said regulation. It is in the Qur'an, which is held as the highest regulatory authority in Islam. I would think that no amount of studies can somehow override that for a Muslim and make them violate the Qur'anic regulations. (At least for most Muslims.)

And to be honest, I also don't expect a non-Muslim to not drink wine just because it is forbidden in Islam. It's not like I don't eat shellfish because it is forbidden in Judaism, for example.
That is the bottom line. I am never going to encourage a Muslim to drink, likewise I don't take kindly to childish lectures about the evils of alcohol consumption. Would a Muslim tell a Jewish family not to bless wine on Sabbath dinner?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
However you cannot deny that there are heavy drug problems in various Muslim countries. From Afghanitstan to Iran. So there is not much point for Muslims to go around lecturing about the evils of alcohol while there has been heavy opium production in Afghanistan, or when there is a serious drugs problem in Tehran. Furthermore, I'm sure the Muslim members here are quite aware that there are plenty of Muslims who themselves abuse alcohol.

That is one other reason that makes me think such lecturing about what alcohol or drug consumption could supposedly entail would be better aimed at the Muslims who have trouble with said substances. As far as I can see, it would be better for both sides: more Muslims would be educated about their religion's teachings, and at the same time no one would lecture non-Muslims about following the Islamic food or beverage consumption regulations.

Some people strike me as being too busy with others' affairs when they still haven't sorted out issues that relate to them more; this includes many people from other religions as well who try to interfere in how other people act.

That is the bottom line. I am never going to encourage a Muslim to drink, likewise I don't take kindly to childish lectures about the evils of alcohol consumption. Would a Muslim tell a Jewish family not to bless wine on Sabbath dinner?

Personally, as long as it doesn't harm me or I'm not forced to join in such ritual, then I'd rather focus on other endeavors than telling a Jewish family off of blessing wine. There are many Muslims who could benefit from being educated about Islam far more than any Jewish family (or any non-Muslim family, for that matter); it's their religion, after all.

Last edited: