• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam a Cult? Doesn't make any sense.

Theweirdtophat

I never understood why some would call it a cult. Or from the haters, a "death cult" even though Most Muslims go about their business and try to live peacefully. But it doesn't make sense to call it a cult anyway? From what I know cults are usually fairly small and Islam is large and not to mention there's multiple branches of Islam. Not too many cults have branches. Scientology has more of a cult mentality. Not too many branches of Scientology from what I know and it's much smaller.

But they say it's a cult because they read the Quran. So I guess that means because they read the Quran they must all have the same beliefs, rules and customs, right? No. And saying they are cult like because they read the Quran is like saying Christianity is a cult because they read the Bible. But saying all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran doesn't make sense, because different groups interpret the Quran differently. So saying all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran is ignorant and it's like saying all Christians are the same because they read the Bible. Orthodox and Catholics read the Bible but that does not mean they have the same rules, customs or beliefs.

I just never understood this mentality.

Theweirdtophat

One could say all cults are religions but not all religions are cults. Cults usually focus on a specific thing or idea, usually small and tend to stay in tight groups together and sometimes will coerce someone into staying in the group. Cults usually don't have branches either.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Incorrect. Cults are religions but not all religions are cults. There is a difference between the two. There are religions with various branches but a cult will focus on a specific idea or deity and there's not too many branches within a cult.

Can you please provide sources?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It seems to me that people see every other religion as a cult, except for their own, to me any religion that is organized is a cult.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Cult: a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Pfft. Nobody uses the proper, anthropological understanding of "cult" nowadays. Get with the times, man! You're supposed to use it as a snarl word! :D

Pudding

I never understood why some would call it a cult. Or from the haters, a "death cult" even though Most Muslims go about their business and try to live peacefully. But it doesn't make sense to call it a cult anyway? From what I know cults are usually fairly small and Islam is large and not to mention there's multiple branches of Islam. Not too many cults have branches. Scientology has more of a cult mentality. Not too many branches of Scientology from what I know and it's much smaller.

But they say it's a cult because they read the Quran. So I guess that means because they read the Quran they must all have the same beliefs, rules and customs, right? No. And saying they are cult like because they read the Quran is like saying Christianity is a cult because they read the Bible. But saying all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran doesn't make sense, because different groups interpret the Quran differently. So saying all Muslims are the same because they read the Quran is ignorant and it's like saying all Christians are the same because they read the Bible. Orthodox and Catholics read the Bible but that does not mean they have the same rules, customs or beliefs.

That is the fallacy of generalization.
Similar as saying all atheists is the same, have no meaning in life, is immoral, believing every gods doesn't exist, or equal atheism to materialism/nihilism.

Theweirdtophat

I think many new religions started out as cults, like Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, ect but grew much larger. Into an organized religion. When a new religion arises it's a cult until it grows larger and spreads out with multiple branches. I think they call Islam a cult because they don't like Islam and the word cult usually has a negative vibe to it since many cults tend to be dangerous.

use_your_brain

Then Islam is the true cult.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Pfft. Nobody uses the proper, anthropological understanding of "cult" nowadays. Get with the times, man! You're supposed to use it as a snarl word! :D

I understand your sarcasm.

On a more serious note, why allow an anthropological term to be converted to yet another word to express hatred?

arthra

Baha'i
Some of course have concerns about "cults"...such as control of the followers.. charismatic leaders.. control of information.. creating boundaries between the followers and the rest of the world. Dividing families and so on.

There have been people who claim to offer services as cult busters.. and a young friend of my son once came to us and asked for shelter... He had been held in a controlled environment for days with the approval of his parents... Bible verses were constantly loudly chanted at him...eventually after his release he came to us.... HIs parents were contacted and they brought his clothes to him... His father was in tears. Eventually there was a reunion in the family.

But I would agree that Islam is not a "cult"..It's a world religion with it's own history and diversity.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I never understood why some would call it a cult. ......................
These 'some' know it is religion, but they call it cult as slang, mostly due to those political-killers who wrongly label themselves to peaceful religion. Islam does not say to misbehave and kill non-Muslims. God presented by Islam is 'Lord of all people' --- not Lord of Muslims only.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Incorrect. Cults are religions but not all religions are cults. There is a difference between the two. There are religions with various branches but a cult will focus on a specific idea or deity and there's not too many branches within a cult.

Actually, no. Twenty people worshiping living John on the left and 2,000 or more worshiping a deceased Jesus on the right makes both of them cults. All religion are cults if they have someone or something they worship. What cult does not hae a form of hierarchy and/or religious in nature?

Theweirdtophat

Actually, no. Twenty people worshiping living John on the left and 2,000 or more worshiping a deceased Jesus on the right makes both of them cults. All religion are cults if they have someone or something they worship. What cult does not hae a form of hierarchy and/or religious in nature?

They were cults because they were new because they started out. They aren't cults anymore. Pretty much every new religion was a cult first. But cults are usually small and don't consist of millions of followers.