• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isaiah 53 and Human Sin

Brian2

Veteran Member
This is an oral tradition which was compiled and written after Jesus but was taught teacher to student since it was given at Sinai.

I guess that means that all the oral traditions that were put into writing agree.
How is it known if what one Rabbi wrote is oral tradition or his personal interpretation? There were and no doubt are, after all, disagreements between various schools of thought on meanings and interpretations.

First, which parts have you highlighted which are questionable? I don't see that? ( and just to be clear, I'm asking about which parts of Isa 52-53 do not work with Israel as the servant? )

I high lighted parts of the spoiler which you had included, in post 854.

Second, the issue is not that Isa 53 can't be messianic, the issue is it can't be Jesus because of verse 7.

I have given my opinion on verse 7.

Third, you asked if there's anything wrong with the J4J analysis. The answer is yes. There's two types of lies. There's lying by omission, and there's literal false words. The article contains both. Perhaps unintentional, which wouldn't make them lies, but there's problems none the less. There is truth in there, but it's mixed with untruth, and they're not giving you all the info you need to make an informed judgement.

OK. Do you want to tell me about it?

Yup! Super serious.

What is the Jewish interpretation?

Unless it's happening at the end of days, I'm not sure why it's relevant.

I cannot see that anyone has or will inherit the nations to rule and judge until the end of days.

All aspects of the prophecy are important in order for it to be fulfilled. Here, let me give you an example.

I predict that you will go to sleep, wake up, eat breakfast of eggs and toast. Am I prophet if I get the first 3 correct but fail at the end? If you have pancakes, did you fulfill the prophecy?

Yes OK but we are talking about Isa 9 here and it is the Jews who are ignoring part of the prophecy (sitting on David's throne forever)

It's lunacy because that was then, and this is now. So much has changed since then. Can you find any Jews who are worshipping idols? There are a few, but they're the fringiest of the fringe. The prophets were talking about the entire nation falling apart, and we are not doing those things anymore.

It's lunacy because we are talking about Hebrew prophecy, and the Christian always look at less and is seeing less, and the Jewish eyes are always looking at more and seeing more. Jewish eyes are open, Christian eyes are squinting reading through their eyelashes at blurry words. The best example of this is Zech 12:10 where all that matters is the word "pierced" and the word "mourn" and the word "firstborn", and the Christian eyes are closed to every single other detail including that this hasn't happened yet. So someone comes to me, with their eyes mostly closed and says, "you're blind BECAUSE you're reading the rest of the words in the verse, and on the page, and in the chapter, and int he book" THAT is lunacy. "You're blind, because you won't close your eyes like me" is insane.

OK :) I hope my eyes are being opened a bit more each time I speak to a Jew.
But there are other things beside worshipping idols, (I don't even see how that could be blindness--that's just disobedience)
Not being able to see the identity of Jesus in the Hebrew scriptures could be seen as blindness.
And of course Isa 43:5-8 does look like an end times prophecy and the Jews as still said by God to be blind and deaf, but it sounds like a dig at the Jews from a loving God imo It sounds like the Jews who have remained faithful till then are considered God's people even though blind and deaf.
Isa 43: 8 Lead out those who have eyes but are blind,
who have ears but are deaf.

Of course it matters who wrote them. Listen to what you;re saying. It matters because Psalm 89 wasn't written by a prophet. If the author isn't a prophet then it's poetry not prophecy. It's not "from God". Elevating something to word of God status without just cause is obviously a problem.

So I can get my scissors out and cut out that psaim from God's Word because it was just someone trying their hand at writing poetry?
It made it in there because it was considered inspired imo. Ethan was seen as an inspired writer. Why are you saying it is not prophetic when it is clearly a prophecy in the word of God.? What do you want, a note at the start of the Psalm to say it is a prophecy?

I disagree that it's not an ordination. He has received a blessing, and has raised his hand and sworn on the same god with the same title with the same words. There's an exchange of bread and wine in a specific amount. This is a ritual.

Certainly Melchizedek is blessing Abraham (a blessing ceremony?) but from what Abraham said when he raised his hand it is not an ordination, he swore not to take from Melchizedek what is not Abraham's lest Melchizedek says he has made Abraham rich. (I guess that would make Abraham obliged to Melchizedek or his people)
Abraham tithed to the priest of God Most High, to God Most High. It was a thanksgiving thing.

By the speech of Malchi-tzedek, is literally by the words of Malchi-tzedek.

Only problem is that it does not say "by the speech of Melchizedek" and when we look at Gen 14 we see Melchizedek did not make Abraham a priest. And when we look at the word used we see it does not mean "speech", and this can be seen even more clearly in the LXX version of Psalm 110.

Because he just did them a solid favor by conquering those other kings. 4 kings had all massed against Sodom. Abraham swooped in and saved the day.

So Melchizedek wanted to give him all the loot but Abraham refused.
Abraham wanted to tithe to God through Melchizedek in thanksgiving for what God had done.

Oooooh. I think see the problem. Malchi-tzedek is not the king of Sodom. They're two different people. Malchi-tzedek is the king of Salem. Bera is the King of Sodom. Malchi-tzedek of Salem gives the tithe to Abraham in verse 20. Then Bera of Sodom negotiates about the spoils in verse 21. Take a look at the beginning of the chapter to confirm.

Really?

Brian2

Veteran Member
I looked it up, The Council spoke of a different law for Gentiles. Different. And then in Acts 16 a Jewish boy was circumcised showing that there is a different law for Jew and non-Jew. Then, in Acts 22 Paul says:
Then Paul declared, “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but raised in this city. I was educated at the feet of Gamaliel in strict conformity to the law of our fathers. I am just as zealous for God as any of you here today.​
He claims to be zealous for the strict conformity of the law of the Sanhedrin. Is Paul lying?

If Paul said he was zealous for God then that is what he meant and not that not zealous for strict conformity to the law of the Sanhedrin.
The Christian elders in Jerusalem weren't going to say to the Jewish Christians that they should not obey the law but the unity of Jewish and Gentile Christians was a big issue and so they told the Gentile Christians to obey certain laws so that the Jewish Christians who were strict about the Law would associate with them.
The gospel of grace gives salvation through faith in Jesus, not the obeying of the Law, and that was also to be upheld. The Law for a Christian is not the Mosaic Law even if it is the same God and the same basic principle of love for God and neighbour that we obey.

Pretty much. In order to knowingly sin, a person needs to know the rules completely, know the consequences fully. I don't know all the rules completely, nor do I know their actual consequences. I have an idea, based on what's written in the Torah and Tanach but I don't *know* it. Knowing is whole different level, especially if it is written on the heart.

So, this covenant written in Jeremiah wasn't given to you or any non-Jew, and it seems like you don't know what it means, and it certainly hasn't happened yet.

So are you saying that Christians should be perfect and sinless if they were in the New Covenant?
We certainly want to obey what God wants and we are learning more and being transformed from the inside all the time through God's Spirit in us, but we are still weak and fall because we follow our desires at times while on the path to transformation. At the resurrection we will get a resurrection body that obeys the commands of our spirit.
But people don't have to know the full consequences in order to sin, they need to know that it is against the command of their God.

See? You're not even talking about what's written in Jeremiah. You're talking about the Christian Holy Spirit. If you simply stick to the Christian bible, it all makes sense. Going backwards makes no sense.

The Spirit of God is spoken of in the Hebrew scriptures as something given in the New Covenant.

Wow. It's like one of the most common words in the entire Tanach and you only found 7 occurances. Something's wrong with your search. And I already showed you Psalms 39:4. It's the exact same word, the exact same spelling, but somehow your search skipped that one? Something's definitely wrong.

But let's look at these examples:

Job 5:8

I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause;​
It's not "in the manner of".

Eccl 3:18
I said in my heart concerning the sons of men, that God is testing them, that they might see that they are but beasts.​

Eccl. 7:14

In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider; God has made the one as well as the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.​

Eccl 8:2

I keep the king’s commandment, and in the manner of an oath of God.​

You got one! Hmmm... "... in the manner of an oath ... " It's a "king's commandment". That's the context. Are you seeing the similarity to Psalm 110:4? Let's look at it in the LXX:

View attachment 75930

It's pretty weird. In Psalms 110:4 they are able to convey the idea with a single word coming from "I order / I arrange". Here they need to use several words. Hmmmmmmm. At least it has something to do with speaking. And it has something to do with a command. That part is consistent. Let's keep going.

Daniel 2:30

But as for me, this mystery is not revealed to me for any wisdom that I have more than any living, but in order that the meaning shall be made known to the king, and that you might know the thoughts of your heart.​

Daniel 4:17 ( 4:14 in the Hebrew bible )

This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones; to the intent that the living may know that the most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whom he will will, and sets up over it the lowliest of men.​

It's not "in the manner of". AND it is a decree.
OK! So there is 1 example, where maybe its "in the manner of". BUT! It's "in the manner of an oath" a command made by a King. And there's many many verses where the word is used as speaking, or spoken word. And the closest example is in Psalms. The same author using the same word. In order to make any sort of connection we need to go to a different author a different book. Let's look at the two verses together.

Psalms 110:4

נִשְׁבַּע יְהֹוָה וְלֹא יִנָּחֵם אַתָּֽה־כֹהֵן לְעוֹלָם עַל־דִּבְרָתִי מַלְכִּי־צֶֽדֶק׃​

The Lord has sworn, and will not change his mind, You are a priest for ever, עַל־דִּבְרָתִי of Melchizedek.​

Eccl 8:2
אֲנִי פִּי־מֶלֶךְ שְׁמוֹר וְעַל דִּבְרַת שְׁבוּעַת אֱלֹהִֽים׃​
I keep the king’s commandment, and עַל דִּבְרַת of an oath of God.​

I mean... I guess it could be "in the manner of". But it also could be "by decree". The context in both verses is a divine command. "The Lord has sworn..." "... an oath of God." Technically literally, the word/phrase in Psalm 110 is "al-deevratee". The vowels are different in Eccl. You can kind of see that if you zoom in. The "ee" at the end means "my". You can see this plenty of times in Isaiah as the term "my servant". Anyway, if we put all that together, the verse would be, more accurately: "The Lord has sworn, and will not change his mind, You are a priest for ever, by my decree, of Melchizedek." Which would mean, it's the Lord that ordained the priest, whomever that is.

Either way, "in the manner of" has virtually no support at all in the Hebrew bible. And there is so much more support for some sort of "command/order".

And yet when we look at Genesis we do not see a speech or command that makes Abraham into a priest.
Abraham was never a priest imo and Psalm 110 is not about Abraham and him being made a priest, it is a Messianic Psalm about the Messiah who crushes Kings and judges the nations like the Son of God in Psalm 2 (they are the same person).
Melchizedek is mentioned so that we can see what sort of priest this Messiah is. He is not a Levite priest but is still a priest of God Most High and is also a King, the King of Salem (Jerusalem) (Peace) (Like the Prince of Peace in Isa 9 who sits on the throne of David forever.
The LXX is clearer about the meaning of the word and Hebrew even has a meaning similar to the LXX.
"In the manner of"-------"in the rank of"------"in the order of"
It is not "according to the command of"

First of all, it's not used at all in Gospels excluding one time in Luke where it is a military division / arrangement. Not "in the manner of". Second, the only times it's used other than that is by the author of Hebrews where they are changing the defintion of the word based on an idea that Malchi-tzedek is somehow immortal. It's a ridiculous idea.

No the idea is not that Melchizedek is immortal and the meaning is not changed, it is the same word as is used in the LXX.

Because they do different things.

The priest in the rank of Melchizedek is a priest forever (not so the Levite priests)
The priest in the rank of Melchizedek is a King also (King of Salem--Jerulalem- Peace)

Not atonement. Intercession is not atonement. Different concepts are being smooshed.

Your context means that the many places where atonement is plain become smeared with the interpretation that Israel is being the recipient of hurt from the Gentiles. The whole chapter is about the Messiah atoning for our sins, the sins of us all by His stripes we are healed and He dies and is buried but sees seed because He rises from the dead.

Agreed! Then whatever Jesus did was not a once and for all sacrifice for sin.

It was a once and for all sacrifice for sin for those who repent and accept it and for those whom mercy is extended to at the judgement imo.

Jer 23:5Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and He will reign wisely as King and will administer justice and righteousness in the land. 6In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is His name by which He will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.
The Messiah is our righteousness, the Gospel is the New Covenant and it is a covenant of grace and those who are in it are the ones who accept it, so that is where the faith in the Messiah and what He did, offer His body and blood for us, comes in.
Not at all. I recommend reading Psalms. The whole book. In order. Repeatedly. And ideally from a good Jewish translation.

I love-love this one. It's spendy, but totally worth it if a person is doing Psalms daily with the intention to do the whole book. I've done it multiple times myself, doing 5 a day is easy.

https://a.co/d/ewRseZl <<< it's an amazon link
Thanks for that. I do my best when it comes to reading and understanding God's Word, we do what we can.
I think it is probably time to agree to disagree.
Thanks for the discussion.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
I guess that means that all the oral traditions that were put into writing agree.
How is it known if what one Rabbi wrote is oral tradition or his personal interpretation? There were and no doubt are, after all, disagreements between various schools of thought on meanings and interpretations.

The way this one is written is what gives me confidence. The Rabbis say, "... this was taught ... " which indicates an early teaching not a personal interpretation. But you're right, it's not something that can be known for sure.

I high lighted parts of the spoiler which you had included, in post 854.

OK thank you. I see it now. Essentially, the other nations persecute Israel which is a sin, and this should have rendered illness and curses but it didn't. The kings are shocked at this. They did horrible things to Isreal ( taking them captive aka cutting them off from the land of the living ), and they deserved to be punished, but they weren't for a long time. The kings are viewing Israel, the nation, as an intercerssor who were blocking those illnesses and curses and instead taking them on themselves. The kings are shocked that they were able to commit these transgressions against God and against God's people without being punished for such a long time. So the conclusion they come to is that the nation was somehow interceding for them. Not by choice, but simply by accepting the suffering as God's will. That's the idea.

And again, it's not that I'm saying this is the only way to read it, all I'm saying is, this is what fits into the context especially considering what was happening in Isaiah's era.

I have given my opinion on verse 7.

Heard and understood.

OK. Do you want to tell me about it?

Isaiah 53 isn't a forbidden chapter. The whole idea presented there about it is false. And it's the first thing they mention, they stress it as very important, as if the Jewish people are hiding something. The truth is, in synagogue, only a tiny fraction of the prophets are read. The passages were chosen before Jesus. It's omission has nothing to do with Jesus. However, it IS true that most American Jews do not know Isaiah or Jeremiah or Ezekiel, or most of the prophets. But I don't think it has anything to do with Jesus, I think it's because these stories describe dark times in Jewish history. It takes some maturity to accept what happened and apply it in a positive manner.

Also, the Zohar reference. It provides the clearest picture, but, because it is following the prophecy literally ( which I think is required ), it asserts that the suffering servant existed and was operating in Isaiah's time. Not only that, but the Zohar's theology requires a physical intercessor or intercessors here on earth which correspond to the intercession in the divine realm. The passage cited includes a Rabbi who it claims was filling this need at least at some point. But the J4Js leave that out even though it's just a few sentences beyond what they quoted.

So, if this is congruent with the gospel story, starting with the destruction of the first temple, there were messiahs long before Jesus. Jesus would have been / could have been one of these messiahs. When Jesus died ( departed the physical realm ) someone else would need to pick up where he left off, and there have been other messiahs ever since. That is what the Zohar brings. But the J4Js don't tell you that. This is in contrast with THE Jewish messiah, who comes at the end of days, rebuilds the temple, gathers ALL the exiles, re-establishes the Sanhedrin, sits on the throne forever, etc.. The Zohar describes this arrival, and, the event is beyond any denial.

So, yes, Isa 53 isn't read in synagogue, and isn't known by many American Jews, but it's not for the reasons they stated. And it's cruel to perpetuate this "Jews are sneaky" trope. And it's true that some read Isa 53 as an individual, or individuals, but when that's done it still doesn't match mainstream Christian theology.

What is the Jewish interpretation?

It's not mysterious. It's right in the verses. Not too much commentary about it which means the simple meaning is accepted.

If his children forsake my Torah, and do not walk in my judgments;​
If they break my statutes, and do not keep my commandments;​
Then I will punish their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with strokes.​

Torah, judgements, statutes, and commandments: that's the whole enchilada. There is a comment about the transgression with the rod, which connects to 1 Kings and a time when Ezra would have been in King David's court. I didn't research it though, but that gives an answer to what Ezra would have been writing about, or inspired by, at that time.

I cannot see that anyone has or will inherit the nations to rule and judge until the end of days.

Agreed. And that's a very good point. Thank you.

Yes OK but we are talking about Isa 9 here and it is the Jews who are ignoring part of the prophecy (sitting on David's throne forever)

We are?
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government is upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called “Wonderful counsellor of the mighty God, of the everlasting Father, of the Prince of peace”.​
For the increase of the realm and for peace there without end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from now and forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts performs this.​

OK :) I hope my eyes are being opened a bit more each time I speak to a Jew.

:) Hopefully we don't make you want to pull your hair out in frustration.

But there are other things beside worshipping idols, (I don't even see how that could be blindness--that's just disobedience)

Definitely. There are plenty of other problems. But, one cannot worship an idol out of disobedience. That simply doesn't work. The vigor and vitality that is drawn from the deed of rebellion is not from devotion, worship, or service to the idol. It's coming from something else. And if I'm blind, I actually cannot draw that same vitality as I could out of rebellion. I need to be able to see my own rebellion and understand that is in opposition to get that same "high" off of disobedience. If I'm blind, I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, I don't know it's wrong. It's not the same thing at all.

On the other hand, going to some idol and actually expecting to be able to coax and convince it to work on my behalf in spite of God's strict prohibition against and ultimate authority over every force on heaven and earth is blindness. It's a delusion. A Jewish person ( who's been educated ) would have to blind themselves or be made blind to actual devote themself and serve an idol.

But that doesn't mean that fakey-fakey bowing to an idol is OK, or serving it in vain is OK, or doing any of those actions is OK. But none of that is actually wroshipping it or serving it.

Not being able to see the identity of Jesus in the Hebrew scriptures could be seen as blindness.

Maybe if someone is in denial about some of those phrases and passages. I mean, I guess so. But we've already established besides Psalm 22 and Isa 53, they're mostly incomplete prophecies that don't match up precisely. And the Christian theology that is attached to those prophecies, meaning, the implications of the fulfillment of the prophecies, gets pretty far fetched.

And of course Isa 43:5-8 does look like an end times prophecy and the Jews as still said by God to be blind and deaf, but it sounds like a dig at the Jews from a loving God imo It sounds like the Jews who have remained faithful till then are considered God's people even though blind and deaf.
Isa 43: 8 Lead out those who have eyes but are blind,
who have ears but are deaf.

Yes, but keep reading:
Bring forth the blind people who have eyes, and the deaf who have ears.​
Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled; who among them can declare this, and show us former things? Let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified; or let them hear, and say, It is truth.​
I read this as the blind and deaf are of the nations. Verses 1-7 are so positive and loving to the Jewish people, as you mentioned. It seems like the subject has changed.

So I can get my scissors out and cut out that psaim from God's Word because it was just someone trying their hand at writing poetry?
It made it in there because it was considered inspired imo. Ethan was seen as an inspired writer. Why are you saying it is not prophetic when it is clearly a prophecy in the word of God.? What do you want, a note at the start of the Psalm to say it is a prophecy?

Well.... it does give a note at the start. This is a maskil, and there's some interesting commentary about what that means. It's essentially an intellectual excercise. But, I actually think you're probably right and I was wrong about this. First, you made an excellent point earlier about the other nations. Second, I've read the psalm several times now reviewing everything I have in my library about it, and it IS speaking and confirming the future redemption. Now, I'm not ready to agree 100% that it is word of God prophecy. But Redak, a well respected commentator argues that it is, and he makes the same exact argument you're making. If it's in there, he says it's inspired writing.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Certainly Melchizedek is blessing Abraham (a blessing ceremony?) but from what Abraham said when he raised his hand it is not an ordination, he swore not to take from Melchizedek what is not Abraham's lest Melchizedek says he has made Abraham rich. (I guess that would make Abraham obliged to Melchizedek or his people)
Abraham tithed to the priest of God Most High, to God Most High. It was a thanksgiving thing.

Only problem is that it does not say "by the speech of Melchizedek" and when we look at Gen 14 we see Melchizedek did not make Abraham a priest. And when we look at the word used we see it does not mean "speech", and this can be seen even more clearly in the LXX version of Psalm 110.
So Melchizedek wanted to give him all the loot but Abraham refused.
Abraham wanted to tithe to God through Melchizedek in thanksgiving for what God had done.

Really?

So, first of all, I think you're right that the so-called "ordination" I've been describing is in my imagination. It doesn't mean it didn't happen. But you're right that it's not written, and I'm rather aggressively introducing those images as if they are certainly there. And I thank you for pointing it out and setting me straight on that. But, I think that it is important to get the details correct about Malchi-tzedek of Shalem compared to Bera of Sodom.

At the begining of Gen 14, the King of Sodom is named as well as all 4 kings who attacked.
And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Kedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;​
That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboim, and the king of Belah, which is Zoar.​

And there's a war for a while, at some point Lot gets captured who ws living in Sodom ...
And they took Lot, Abram’s brother’s son, who lived in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.​
And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them to Dan.​

Abraham defeats the army, collects the goods and the people and returns to Sodom ...
And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.​

The King of Sodom greets him. Bera, King of Sodom.

And the king of Sodom ( Bera ) went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Kedorlaomer, and of the kings who were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king’s valley.​

And they brought in a priest from Shalem to bless Abraham.

And Melchizedek king of Shalem brought forth bread and wine; and he was the priest of the most high God.​

Then there's a blessing, and there's also the tithe which we disagree about... but after that...
And the king of Sodom ( Bera ) said to Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods for yourself.​

Do you see what's happened? There's Bera, Malchi-tzedek, and Abram at the blessing ceremony. The goods belong to Sodom, not Shalem. The tithe is the bread and the wine whch are both offerings described in leviticus. Abram would not be tithing any of the spoils to Malchi-tzedek of Shalem, the goods belonged to Bera of Sodom. But it makes perfect sense for Bera of Sodom to offer Abram the goods ( spoils ) of the war in return for ridding them of their enemies. And Abram declines, Sodom is a nasty place, he wants nothing to with them.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
If Paul said he was zealous for God then that is what he meant and not that not zealous for strict conformity to the law of the Sanhedrin.
The Christian elders in Jerusalem weren't going to say to the Jewish Christians that they should not obey the law but the unity of Jewish and Gentile Christians was a big issue and so they told the Gentile Christians to obey certain laws so that the Jewish Christians who were strict about the Law would associate with them.
The gospel of grace gives salvation through faith in Jesus, not the obeying of the Law, and that was also to be upheld. The Law for a Christian is not the Mosaic Law even if it is the same God and the same basic principle of love for God and neighbour that we obey.

OK. But still Paul circumcised the boy. The Jerusalem council did not abolish the Mosaic law. Correct?

So are you saying that Christians should be perfect and sinless if they were in the New Covenant?

I'm saying that if a person has any confusion about what God wants them to do, then the law is not written on their hearts. And if they do know, fully, such that it is written on their heart, and they do it anyway, that is a serious crime. A person would need to be doing it, either wanting to be punished ( a masochist ), or they do it and simply count on grace to save them, which is pure wickedness.

We certainly want to obey what God wants and we are learning more and being transformed from the inside all the time through God's Spirit in us, but we are still weak and fall because we follow our desires at times while on the path to transformation. At the resurrection we will get a resurrection body that obeys the commands of our spirit.

Then it's not written on your heart. There's no shame in it. It's not written on my heart either. It hasn't happened yet.

But people don't have to know the full consequences in order to sin, they need to know that it is against the command of their God.

If the law is written on their heart, then the consequences go along with that. The liability is part of the law.

The Spirit of God is spoken of in the Hebrew scriptures as something given in the New Covenant.

No. Not part of the new covenant in Jeremiah. That's Ezekiel. Jeremiah has the law written by God on the heart. Ezekiel has a new heart delivered and the spirit is put in it. Two different concepts, I'm not sure how to reconcile them. But Ezekiel is not a new covenant. So, IMO, the new heart concept is probably something that works now. But the law written on the heart, hasn't happened yet.

And yet when we look at Genesis we do not see a speech or command that makes Abraham into a priest.
Abraham was never a priest imo and Psalm 110 is not about Abraham and him being made a priest, it is a Messianic Psalm about the Messiah who crushes Kings and judges the nations like the Son of God in Psalm 2 (they are the same person).

Still, it hasn't happened yet. Even if you're right. Jesus hasn't doen any of those things. And honestly, Jesus never claimed that Psalm for himself correct?

Melchizedek is mentioned so that we can see what sort of priest this Messiah is. He is not a Levite priest but is still a priest of God Most High and is also a King, the King of Salem (Jerusalem) (Peace) (Like the Prince of Peace in Isa 9 who sits on the throne of David forever.

OK, not a levite priest. Agreed. Israel is a holy nation a nation of priests. That certainly includes the future king.
Now therefore, if you will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then you shall be my own treasure among all peoples; for all the earth is mine;​
And you shall be to me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the people of Israel.​

That even sounds a bit end-timey.

The LXX is clearer about the meaning of the word and Hebrew even has a meaning similar to the LXX.
"In the manner of"-------"in the rank of"------"in the order of"
It is not "according to the command of"

Not based on my research. It's never "in the manner of" in the LXX. Not once.

No the idea is not that Melchizedek is immortal and the meaning is not changed, it is the same word as is used in the LXX.

OK, well... this is what I'm basing my statement on:

Hebrews 7:
1 This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High.a He met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2and Abraham apportioned to him a tenth of everything. First, his name means “king of righteousness.” Then also, “king of Salem” means “king of peace.” 3 Without father or mother or genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God, he remains a priest for all time.
...​
8 In the case of the Levites, mortal men collect the tenth; but in the case of Melchizedek, it is affirmed that he lives on.

Melchitzedek ... like the Son of God ... he lives on.

You are a priest forever in the manner of Malchi-tzedek.

The priest in the rank of Melchizedek is a priest forever (not so the Levite priests)
The priest in the rank of Melchizedek is a King also (King of Salem--Jerulalem- Peace)

The levite priests in rank are priests forever. But they aren't kings, so there's that.

Your context means that the many places where atonement is plain become smeared with the interpretation that Israel is being the recipient of hurt from the Gentiles. The whole chapter is about the Messiah atoning for our sins, the sins of us all by His stripes we are healed and He dies and is buried but sees seed because He rises from the dead.

Except he isn't buried, and doesn't actually die, and it's not atonement, that's something different.

It was a once and for all sacrifice for sin for those who repent and accept it and for those whom mercy is extended to at the judgement imo.

So you've said, but it's without any support in the Hebrew bible.

Jer 23:5Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and He will reign wisely as King and will administer justice and righteousness in the land. 6In His days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is His name by which He will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.
The Messiah is our righteousness, the Gospel is the New Covenant and it is a covenant of grace and those who are in it are the ones who accept it, so that is where the faith in the Messiah and what He did, offer His body and blood for us, comes in.

Sure. It's just this isn't the New Covenant in Jeremiah, it's something new and different brought by Christians.

Thanks for that. I do my best when it comes to reading and understanding God's Word, we do what we can.
I think it is probably time to agree to disagree.
Thanks for the discussion.

Okie-dokie. Thanks to you too. Feel free to answer my questions and comment if you want. You can have the last word.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
so, Judaism is false by default, meaning not obeying the scriptures...... thank you, so 101G will never convert......(smile). so, since Judaism is not of God then it's a false religion.

101G.
I believe that is not a good deduction. Many religions contain falsehoods but that does not mean the religion is completely false. Also a religion can be true to its nature and yet not true to God. So if a religion says Jesus is not the Messiah it is true to its own views but false in the eyes of God.

rosends

A couple of points:
1. Jesus, if he existed, was Jewish and his Jewish knowledge formed his actions and identity. If it is a false religion, then the foundation for all of his learning and teaching is false.

2. The judgment that Judaism is false comes from the subjective viewpoint of a religion that Jews see as unsupported by scripture. The difference is that Judaism says that many other religions are true and acceptable to God whereas Christianity says that "if it isn't Christianity, it is false in the eyes of God."

101G

I believe that is not a good deduction. Many religions contain falsehoods but that does not mean the religion is completely false. Also a religion can be true to its nature and yet not true to God. So if a religion says Jesus is not the Messiah it is true to its own views but false in the eyes of God.
thanks for the reply. but, to those who still pratice Judism as in the OT is not TRUE, it is no more, a dead religion. and those who pratice it is not in the will of God. there can be no Syncretism in the b ody of Christ. this is why we have a NEW COVENANT with God... a "BINDING" Covenant, of all peoples, and not all religions. the book of Revelation warns us of The danger of Syncretism. see the seven churches, chapter 2 and 3.

101G.

101G

1. Jesus, if he existed, was Jewish
who told you that? if he is JEWISH, then post book chapter, and verse to his human parents... who are Jewish also?
the bible is Clear, Hebrews 7:14 "For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood."

note, he sprang OUT, and not "FROM" Juda..... Hello.

2. The judgment that Judaism is false comes from the subjective viewpoint of a religion that Jews see as unsupported by scripture. The difference is that Judaism says that many other religions are true and acceptable to God whereas Christianity says that "if it isn't Christianity, it is false in the eyes of God."
if it's not of God then it's false. and false to pratice it. and as for all other religioins, why do you think the GREAT COMMISSION was Given?, if all other religiuons was so accepted, why go and thell them the Good news if thay are already accepted. well they are not. INCLUDING "JUDISM".

as said, just read Revelation Chapter 2 and 3, the danger of Syncretism.

101G.

101G

Let 101G addd a point, Judsism was a shadow of Christianty that was to come. also let 101G clarify what he means by the term false: not in as "NOT" TRUE, but not sustainable meaning not able to be maintained. not everlasting, or enduring. which means it is no more.

understand, Judism, just as the Law was ADDED, because of sin, a TEMPOARY FIX. READ THAT AGAIN.. if it was enduring, ... meaning TRUE. then there would be no need for a new priesthood, and Covenant.

the OT pointed us to the NT and the NEW COVENANT, as said a shadow of things to come. Colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:"Colossians 2:17 "Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ."Colossians 2:18 "Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,"Colossians 2:19 "And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God."Colossians 2:20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,"Colossians 2:21 "(Touch not; taste not; handle not;"Colossians 2:22 "Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?"Colossians 2:23 "Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."

Perish means decay.... done away with, not TRUE, only temporal.

Hebrews 10:1 "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect."

God gave you the Law, but you took on JUDISM.

101G.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
who told you that? if he is JEWISH, then post book chapter, and verse to his human parents... who are Jewish also?
the bible is Clear, Hebrews 7:14 "For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood."

Ok buddy, ya know what, just go with that. I think it's great!

101G

Ok buddy, ya know what, just go with that. I think it's great!
first thanks for the reply, second, don't THINK..... "KNOW". that's the problem, men THINK without Godly KNOWLEDGE

now that's Great.... :D

101G

rosends

So he wasn't Jewish? I mean, many people seem to be convicned that he was ( Was Jesus a Jew? | GotQuestions.org ) and they have a lot of text to support them. Of course, if anyone subscribes to your position then it simply means that Jesus could not then have been the messiah. So we can go with your interpretation also.
if it's not of God then it's false. and false to pratice it. and as for all other religioins, why do you think the GREAT COMMISSION was Given?, if all other religiuons was so accepted, why go and thell them the Good news if thay are already accepted. well they are not. INCLUDING "JUDISM".

as said, just read Revelation Chapter 2 and 3, the danger of Syncretism.

101G.
Yes, the great commission is resounding proof that Christianity views other religions as false. I never said otherwise. I said that this makes it different from Judaism. All you have done is agree with my point.

101G

So he wasn't Jewish? I mean, many people seem to be convicned that he was
Rosends, let's not be enemies, ok, 101G kind of like you fellas. I know 'm a little harsh at times, but I must do what our Father requires.
Now, Jesus, the Spirit, God, is neither Jewish nor Gentile. let's get that out of the way. he is Spirit, now dwelling in a body that is neither Jewish or Gentile. but a glorified body that did not come out of Mary or anyone else. and he is HOLY, a HOLY God, which he has caller all of us to ..... Holiness. listen, 1 Peter 1:14 "As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:" 1 Peter 1:15 "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;" 1 Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." WHERE IS THAT WRITTEN AT? Leviticus 11:44 "For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

holiness was here before the foundations of the earth. God never called anyone to practice, Judaism, nor Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, or any other religion on the face of the Planet. HE CALLED US TO HOLINESS. "be ye holy for I AM Holy".

the requirement for Holiness is simple. Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

if we do these things then we're in the Will of God..... this is "ALL GOD REQUIRE". 101G believe this with all his HEART, SOUL, and MIND.

now the Lable people come up with fine 101G has no problem with that, but why practice what you preach and don't do it? this goes for all religions, especially Christianity, and Judaism. we all say one thing out of the one side of our mouths and yet do another. . are we Just? do we show mercy? and ...... really do we walk HUMBLY .... "WITH" meaning LIVE BY THE SPIRIT, God, and not by the flesh of Christianity, or the flesh of Judaism or any other religions out there? we need to examine ourselves and take a hard look at ourselves first before we condemn someone else.

let's walk with God humbly so that other may see God in us First. and to walk humbly is first to OBEY. for Obedience is better than sacrifice.

so 101G call on all to set aside our.... yes our religions and truly seek after God in Spirit and in TRUTH. amen.

101G.

101G

Rosends, let's not be enemies, ok, 101G kind of like you fellas. I know 'm a little harsh at times, but I must do what our Father requires.
Now, Jesus, the Spirit, God, is neither Jewish nor Gentile. let's get that out of the way. he is Spirit, now dwelling in a body that is neither Jewish or Gentile. but a glorified body that did not come out of Mary or anyone else. and he is HOLY, a HOLY God, which he has caller all of us to ..... Holiness. listen, 1 Peter 1:14 "As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:" 1 Peter 1:15 "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;" 1 Peter 1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." WHERE IS THAT WRITTEN AT? Leviticus 11:44 "For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

holiness was here before the foundations of the earth. God never called anyone to practice, Judaism, nor Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, or any other religion on the face of the Planet. HE CALLED US TO HOLINESS. "be ye holy for I AM Holy".

the requirement for Holiness is simple. Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

if we do these things then we're in the Will of God..... this is "ALL GOD REQUIRE". 101G believe this with all his HEART, SOUL, and MIND.

now the Lable people come up with fine 101G has no problem with that, but why practice what you preach and don't do it? this goes for all religions, especially Christianity, and Judaism. we all say one thing out of the one side of our mouths and yet do another. . are we Just? do we show mercy? and ...... really do we walk HUMBLY .... "WITH" meaning LIVE BY THE SPIRIT, God, and not by the flesh of Christianity, or the flesh of Judaism or any other religions out there? we need to examine ourselves and take a hard look at ourselves first before we condemn someone else.

let's walk with God humbly so that other may see God in us First. and to walk humbly is first to OBEY. for Obedience is better than sacrifice.

so 101G call on all to set aside our.... yes our religions and truly seek after God in Spirit and in TRUTH. amen.

101G.
so, we can take that as a laugh at God?

101G.

rosends

101G.

so, we can take that as a laugh at God?

101G.
No, a laugh at you.

rosends

why?

101G.
because you make ridiculous claims, espouse an untenable position, avoid asnwering challenges and miss the point more often than not -- all beneath the veneer of illiteracy. What's NOT to laugh at?

101G

because you make ridiculous claims, espouse an untenable position, avoid asnwering challenges and miss the point more often than not -- all beneath the veneer of illiteracy. What's NOT to laugh at?
personal Opinions?
make claim? do not 101G give scripture to back up any claim he makes?

an untenable position? just because 110G stand up to riff raff and nonsense.

avoid answering challenges? when was that?

so, what you're really saying you have no excuse to laugh.... (smile)..... :eek: YIKES!

that no command to build a temple, by you and others, really got to you? :oops: ...... (smile).

101G

rosends

personal Opinions?
make claim? do not 101G give scripture to back up any claim he makes?
101G presents verses that, in his/her opinion are relevant, authoritative and/or interpreted correctly
an untenable position? just because 110G stand up to riff raff and nonsense.
you mean what in 110G's opinion is nonsense
avoid answering challenges? when was that?
most recently? post 874.
so, what you're really saying you have no excuse to laugh.... (smile)..... :eek: YIKES!
well, if we don't laugh at your ridiculousness, we cry at how sad you are.
that no command to build a temple, by you and others, really got to you? :oops: ...... (smile).

101G
you mean your lack of understanding? I found that as silly as most of the stuff you post.