• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is your Biblical interpretation valid?

jonny

I've come to realize that *most* of the debates between Christians on these forums come down to whose interpretation of the Bible is more valid. Here's your chance to prove once and for all why you're right!!!

Why is your interpretation of the Bible more valid than "my" interpretation of the Bible?

NOTE: "MY" could be anyone. This thread isn't to debate the validity of any particular religion. Just demonstrate that your interpretation is more valid than anyone else's interpretation.

God is the source,the source cannot be destroyed,
humanity is the leftover essence of the source,this essence will cease throughout time.
Satan is the desendence of this essence and it's god,if this negative essence is destroyed by the source time must repeat itself because the life cycles have ended and therfore must "restart" only to refuel the source.
the bible is the artifact of this information/wisdom,that is all you need to know.

Deut 13:1

jonny said:
Why is your interpretation of the Bible more valid than "my" interpretation of the Bible?
There are many different interpretations and all can be right. for example, i gave an example w/ a refrigerator in another thread. there are lots of interpretations, each are valid. It's just the standard that you want to hold yourself to the law. Although there are interpretations that are wrong. But there are instances where scripture can be interpretated in more then one way. Jayhawker gave a prime example of how the famous love thy nieghbor... can be translated and interpreted two different, but valid ways.

jonny

Buttons* said:
Why is my Bible the right one?
...*shrugs*

(oh Ashley, you're so persuasive!)
That's not the question. :D

Why is how YOU interpret the verses in the Bible correct? I don't mean the translation of your bible. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

A

angellous_evangellous

jonny said:
I've come to realize that *most* of the debates between Christians on these forums come down to whose interpretation of the Bible is more valid. Here's your chance to prove once and for all why you're right!!!

NOTE: "MY" could be anyone. This thread isn't to debate the validity of any particular religion. Just demonstrate that your interpretation is more valid than anyone else's interpretation.
Interpreting the Bible:

1) The first step is obviously to determine what the text is. Textual criticism establishes what the original text may have said by locating the oldest text. The later (more recent) texts have additions and are treated as such by comparison to the older texts, with the older texts having priority. Perhaps the text that we want to interpret was a later addition that was added for a specific reason. If so, we can locate and examine the historical context for the addition.

2) The second step is to determine what the text says. Grammatical exegeis is the translation of the original language into English by employing syntax and lexical data to the text that seems most original. One must chose from a variety of grammatical and syntactical possibilities for both what the text says in the original language and the several ways that the text can be rendered in English (or whatever secondary language).

3) The third step is determining what the text meant for the original audience and writer. One must be well aware of the historical, social, psychological, and linguistic contexts to understand what the text meant. The Bible is the product of an ancient culture read and written by ancients who viewed life far differently from any contemporary audience.

4) The last step is determining what the text means for us today by comparing the original context with the contemporary context using the interpreter's apparatus or model. The interpreter can adopt a model that has been used in the past or create their own. A model is what the interpreter uses to make sense out of all the data presented above and compare it to our understanding of the world today.

I know that my own or another person's interpretation of the Bible is incorrect and unreliable if we ignore or skip any of these steps or apply them irresponsibly.:bonk:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Hi Jonny. I've been thinking about this for several days, actually.

You know...I pray every single time I open my Bible for this very reason. I'm comfortable with my interpretation of what I'm reading when I feel spiritual confirmation that I'm understanding things correctly. If I don't understand something and don't feel confident that I'm interpreting a particular verse or verses the way GOD meant the verses to be interpreted...I lift it up in prayer until I receive spiritual confirmation.

I approach the Bible pretty literally...especially with the gospels...I believe totally in the "full gospel" concept.

I think the Bible is FULL of across the board truths that I feel ALL believers should be on the same page on.

God speaks to us through his Word. And although, again...I feel MUCH of the Bible is concrete and the interpretation should, in my opinion be fairly universal...I also feel that God speaks to us on an individual basis with his Word as well. So, when we pray on certain issues in our life or if God needs to tell us something through his Word...I think it's totally possible for two people to have different interpretations of a particular verse in that light. My "right" would be different from your "right" and neither of us would be wrong because God was communicating with us on an individual basis.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I know I already posted a novel. To summarize it...I don't really feel that there is a way to prove that one's interpretation is better than anothers.

And the above post was to explain why I feel so...and why I think it's important for each individual to pray for spiritual guidance and understanding of the Word of God.

dawny0826 said:

You know...I pray every single time I open my Bible for this very reason. I'm comfortable with my interpretation of what I'm reading when I feel spiritual confirmation that I'm understanding things correctly. If I don't understand something and don't feel confident that I'm interpreting a particular verse or verses the way GOD meant the verses to be interpreted...I lift it up in prayer until I receive spiritual confirmation.

I approach the Bible pretty literally...especially with the gospels...I believe totally in the "full gospel" concept.

I think the Bible is FULL of across the board truths that I feel ALL believers should be on the same page on.

God speaks to us through his Word. And although, again...I feel MUCH of the Bible is concrete and the interpretation should, in my opinion be fairly universal...I also feel that God speaks to us on an individual basis with his Word as well. So, when we pray on certain issues in our life or if God needs to tell us something through his Word...I think it's totally possible for two people to have different interpretations of a particular verse in that light. My "right" would be different from your "right" and neither of us would be wrong because God was communicating with us on an individual basis.

The scriptures also have irrational events implanted inside them,this is because you depend on one person (God) quite clearly when it is you (youself) who should be focused on himself and his actions toward other's
the only concrete thought in my statement would be stop praying and make yourself a miracle to other's for once.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The scriptures also have irrational events implanted inside them
A non believer probably would view the Bible as containing such.

this is because you depend on one person (God)
This is what being a Christian is about. That's the whole core of faith in God...depending solely upon HIM and not upon ourselves.

quite clearly when it is you (youself) who should be focused on himself and his actions toward other's
Actually, as a Christian...your focus is ON CHRIST and allowing Christ to take the wheel. The focus should not be on YOURSELF but on CHRIST.

the only concrete thought in my statement would be stop praying and make yourself a miracle to other's for once
I can't do that if I'm not in Christ. And Biblically, we're instructed to pray ceaselessly...to take EVERYTHING large and small to Christ in prayer. Miracles come from FAITH in Jesus Christ.

A

angellous_evangellous

dawny0826 said:

Skip all steps and move straight to warm and fuzzy feelings.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Bring the warm and fuzzy, BABY!!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
angellous_evangellous said:
Skip all steps and move straight to warm and fuzzy feelings.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Bring the warm and fuzzy, BABY!!

:D Gotta love the warm and fuzzies.

A

angellous_evangellous

dawny0826 said:
:D Gotta love the warm and fuzzies.
I really am "with you" when you get the warm and fuzzies by praying and reading the Bible. Unfortunately, you really have no clue what it really means unless you engage in some kind of critical study, be it following the steps of text criticism, translation, grammatical exegeis, and historical exegsis. You don't live in the first century (for the NT), so there is no way that you can understand what it means unless you understand the first century Mediterranean world, which is a far FAR cry from our world.

Not much is the same. We are human beings. On planet earth. End of comparison.

The thing is that God can work in our lives when we seek God, and work in our hearts and lives even when we can't understand what the Scripture actually says. Interpretation is a science and an art, and it is reserved for those who actually do the work of interpretation.

Watching TV is an act of interpretation, and you can understand it because it is a part of your historical context. Go to another country and watch TV, and you'll have a hard time actually understanding it no matter how warm and fuzzy you feel.

Praying to interpret Scripture is like praying to understand a TV show in another language in a foreign country. The langauge and all of the customs are completely foreign and you honestly have no clue what is going on, but God can go on with his work anyway.

With the Bible in English, we have the TV script only. The gestures, the context, the dynamics, the layers of cultural meanings that have dramatic impact on interpretation are not present. These issues are critical and must be considered if one is to actually interpret the Bible.

Otherwise, we are just saying what makes us feel warm and fuzzy.

Beer and pizza make me warm and fuzzy too.

dawny0826 said:
A non believer probably would view the Bible as containing such.

This is what being a Christian is about. That's the whole core of faith in God...depending solely upon HIM and not upon ourselves.

Actually, as a Christian...your focus is ON CHRIST and allowing Christ to take the wheel. The focus should not be on YOURSELF but on CHRIST.

I can't do that if I'm not in Christ. And Biblically, we're instructed to pray ceaselessly...to take EVERYTHING large and small to Christ in prayer. Miracles come from FAITH in Jesus Christ.

anyone can do many things without christ,i can run faster then my friends on the track field (without christ),i can eat the hottest mixed spices given (without christ),i can ask redemption on myself from myself (without christ).
just a few examples of my everyday life,why is it you have such faith in trickery? it is god's plan to bring pain upon his children NO?.it is god's plan to make us miss our loved one's NO?.it is righteous to pray for your own revenge on diffrent believers NO?.if i allowed christ to take the wheel he would lose control and probably let me do the impossible.CHRIST brought me misery and no one to love,i can play even GOD is a WORD..oh look the son of man is crying.....that poor kid.IF you don't depend on YOURSELF you go INSANE and DELUSIONAL..the side effects of being christian.im not a non-believer im a believer with nothing.

A

angellous_evangellous

blood-lord14 said:
anyone can do many things without christ,i can run faster then my friends on the track field (without christ),i can eat the hottest mixed spices given (without christ),i can ask redemption on myself from myself (without christ).
just a few examples of my everyday life,why is it you have such faith in trickery? it is god's plan to bring pain upon his children NO?.it is god's plan to make us miss our loved one's NO?.it is righteous to pray for your own revenge on diffrent believers NO?.if i allowed christ to take the wheel he would lose control and probably let me do the impossible.CHRIST brought me misery and no one to love,i can play even GOD is a WORD..oh look the son of man is crying.....that poor kid.IF you don't depend on YOURSELF you go INSANE and DELUSIONAL..the side effects of being christian.im not a non-believer im a believer with nothing.
Um, how does this possibly relate to the OP?

A

angellous_evangellous

blood-lord14 said:
it doesn't...but hey nothing like a fresh argument in the morning eh?.
Whatever makes you warm and fuzzy.:jam:

However, this is a debate thread. As a courtesy, if you want to debate another topic, you can start another thread. I'm not a mod or anything, but I see that you're new.

Happy hunting

angellous_evangellous said:
Whatever makes you warm and fuzzy.:jam:

However, this is a debate thread. As a courtesy, if you want to debate another topic, you can start another thread. I'm not a mod or anything, but I see that you're new.

Happy hunting

yes trolling around does make my day
:D and i do have a thread ready
(rational and irrational belief)
it is a Q&A thread for christians and as such
feel free to post there whenever i will be ready for
more questions (yay!! :clap ) cause i know
all kinds of things even if there related to god
(not like i care) :biglaugh: .
i shall be waiting................

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
All of us see scripture through a distorted perspective. It's like trying on someone else's glasses who have the exact opposite prescription.

You think you have a grip on the situation, but all you really have are the "warm fuzzies". So you increase your determination and have a go at it again: yet your vision worsens as you force the perspective.

The path to revelation and wisdom has at it's core humility, submission and a deep love. No room for warm fuzzies here. It's never easy or pleasant and involves a constant change of your character and core values. There is no rest as you attempt to clear the scales from your eyes and see yourself with a vivid clarity. The picture is never pretty and the changes seem insurmountable.

This path has no end, but it does have quite a number of detours and many of those are dead ends. Once you stop being challenged or changing, you have to find your way back to the path.