• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Violence Against Women Ever Acceptable?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I think most people here would say no (except, I think, if the woman in question is about to commit a violent crime and someone needs to stop her), but what you really need to is ask the Muslims, because those are the people in question here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Women in Turkey took to Twitter on Wednesday to blast Turkey’s top religious authority over a series of fatwas, in which the Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) has advised women to accept violence at the hands of their husbands and use discussion to solve their probleTurkey’s top religious body sparks Twitter ire with fatwas on violence against women | Ahvalms.

Not really, and especially when it might be allowed because some particular religious doctrine allows such. Bin it! :mad: Turkey is going in a worrying direction, as are many countries at the moment. :oops:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Women in Turkey took to Twitter on Wednesday to blast Turkey’s top religious authority over a series of fatwas, in which the Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) has advised women to accept violence at the hands of their husbands and use discussion to solve their probleTurkey’s top religious body sparks Twitter ire with fatwas on violence against women | Ahvalms.

Outdated mindframe:

SexistAds_Coffee.jpg

Mike.Hester

Not really, and especially when it might be allowed because some particular religious doctrine allows such. Bin it! :mad: Turkey is going in a worrying direction, as are many countries at the moment. :oops:
Yes you are correct. Some years ago Turkey declared itself as a secular country and made great progress in economic development and greater civil rights for women. With its present religious government, freedom of speech has been chilled, once forbidden headscarf's are worn, famous Christian Cathedrals have been activated into a Mosque , and aggressive military endeavors have been undertaken. I have been to Turkey as a tourist and it was great! But I would not go under present circumstances.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I think most people here would say no (except, I think, if the woman in question is about to commit a violent crime and someone needs to stop her), but what you really need to is ask the Muslims, because those are the people in question here.

Violence against women is only acceptable in the same circumstances as violence against men. If a religion says otherwise, I consider it to be immoral.

Erebus

If somebody is attacking you then there's no problem with taking reasonable measures to defend yourself. This applies to anybody, regardless of their sex.

Punching somebody as a way of disciplining them is abhorrent. I would say that telling people not to defend themselves in those circumstances is also abhorrent.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

I find only one acceptable time. That's if she's throwing punches at you, but that's my general rule for anyone on this earth. You don't have to be punched nor does anyone else. If she has a weapon of some sort realize that most deaths come from blunt trauma and your politics don't matter in the hospital, lol. Some men will not hit back no matter what, but this is obviously foolish to me. If they will not stop they can kill you... It doesn't take a lot of force, just force properly applied. (or lucky)

After that, I find it completely unacceptable to use violence in any manner. Defense only. If you have to beat a woman to get her to listen to you then you need to work on your communication skills or find a new woman. You don't have to make yourself worse than the person that's screwing up. (in your view)

Piculet

Fair enough, allow me to rephrase:

Hitting somebody as a way of disciplining them is abhorrent. I would say that telling people not to defend themselves in those circumstances is also abhorrent.
So you advice the women to hit back, do you?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Piculet

Not to the recipient, it is still violence
There's a difference. Punching can be hitting, but hitting isn't necessarily punching. Slapping, for one, cannot be called punching. People like to use the word that gives the impression they prefer instead of the one that describes the reality best.