• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this panentheism?

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
Some people believe we and creation are all one universe, and the universe is part of God, but God, is greater than, or not limited to, the sum of the universe. I used to experiment with this view, and am very curious.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people believe we and creation are all one universe, and the universe is part of God, but God, is greater than, or not limited to, the sum of the universe. I used to experiment with this view, and am very curious.
When you say anything (according to panentheism) you are speaking to God, too. What you do to me you do to God, too. I am part of the universe, part of the scripture that is in all things. Every atom is connected to every other atom, and every person is connected to every other person.

Its just a way of looking at things. I think that Christians are supposed to honor God through each other and that Christians are panentheists at least when it comes to that. We have scriptures that say we are created in God's image, and I think that the point is we're supposed to treat one another with honor. We have a scripture that says "In him (or it) we live and move and have our being."

There are other ways of looking at things. Have ever seen a hologram before? A hologram is a three dimensional picture in mid-air. Its not easy to make, but its cool. Its empty and just light. You can pass your hand through it. You can look at it from different angles. You make a hologram with lasers. Its like taking a picture from multiple angles at once, and instead of a camera film it records onto a block or very thin block called holographic film. You can take that block and shine a laser back through it, and it will project a hologram into the air. There are some other things that are called holograms that use trick mirrors or video displays, but technically a real hologram is recorded in a piece of material. The neat thing about them is that they provide an analogy for panentheism.

IDkneqa.gif

In this case the laser light records onto a film
What is different about holographic film or holographic blocks --> if you break that material it turns into smaller holograms that show the whole picture. Every part of the holographic material adds detail to the whole. If you tore that holographic film you would get two less detailed holograms still showing an entire mushroom.

Similarly in panentheism God is everywhere, not in parts but in totality.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
When you say anything (according to panentheism) you are speaking to God, too. What you do to me you do to God, too. I am part of the universe, part of the scripture that is in all things. Every atom is connected to every other atom, and every person is connected to every other person.

Its just a way of looking at things. I think that Christians are supposed to honor God through each other and that Christians are panentheists at least when it comes to that. We have scriptures that say we are created in God's image, and I think that the point is we're supposed to treat one another with honor. We have a scripture that says "In him (or it) we live and move and have our being."

There are other ways of looking at things. Have ever seen a hologram before? A hologram is a three dimensional picture in mid-air. Its not easy to make, but its cool. Its empty and just light. You can pass your hand through it. You can look at it from different angles. You make a hologram with lasers. Its like taking a picture from multiple angles at once, and instead of a film it records onto a block. You can take that block and shine a laser back through it, and it will project a hologram into the air. There are some other things that are called holograms that use trick mirrors or video displays, but technically a real hologram is recorded in a piece of material. The neat thing about them is that they provide an analogy for panentheism.

IDkneqa.gif

In this case the laser light records onto a film
What is different about holographic film or holographic blocks --> if you break that material it turns into smaller holograms that show the whole picture. Every part of the holographic material adds detail to the whole. If you tore that holographic film you would get two less detailed holograms still showing an entire mushroom.

Similarly in panentheism God is everywhere, not in parts but in totality.
I like that, and I tend to be monotheistic. I do however, thing we can find common ground in our viewpoints, because I too for a variety of reasons believe how one treats humans, animals, or even the environment, one treats God/Godess, regardless of what one calls him/her/them, or hia/her/their essence or nature.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My understanding is, to put it simply, Pantheism is belief that God is in everything. Panentheism, on the other hand, is believing that God is everything; everything that is and everything that isn't; every thing that is known or can be known, and everything that isn't known or can't be known. Even this conversation would be part of a panentheist's definition of God.