• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this gluttony?

When an extremely skinny person greatly over-eats...

• It is gluttony

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Not gluttony

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If a person has a super fast metabolism, and are very thin, so they greatly over eat, because they want to put some meat on their bones, but remain thin, is it gluttony?

In a foster home, growing up with dairy cows, they separated cream from the milk, I drank jars of straight cream, thousands of calories down my gullet in roughly 15 seconds, barely gained a pound. Is that gluttony as well?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It sounds like the person is craving calories... probably due to the high metabolism.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Whatever it is, it doesn't sound particularly healthy.
That was as a kid. I'm not sure what my problem was, but that particular one is no longer an issue.

And I would never down straight cream again. Definitely not healthy.

At the time I thought it would help me gain ten pounds.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That was as a kid. I'm not sure what my problem was, but that particular one is no longer an issue.

And I would never down straight cream again. Definitely not healthy.

At the time I thought it would help me gain ten pounds.

I would think it would give you diarreah.... Ares kept trying to drink my cream until I told him it would do that. (No one wants diarreah.)

Unless your doctor has told you your weight is a problem, there's probably no reason to eat large quantities(unless you're super hungry). Some people just don't gain weight easily.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
At school i was nicknamed "beanpole" tall and very skinny. I have a high metabolism is why. I think i eat normally, healthy and not over eat. However people do say i eat more than most. Gluttony, no sustaining my life, yes

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If a person has a super fast metabolism, and are very thin, so they greatly over eat, because they want to put some meat on their bones, but remain thin, is it gluttony?

In a foster home, growing up with dairy cows, they separated cream from the milk, I drank jars of straight cream, thousands of calories down my gullet in roughly 15 seconds, barely gained a pound. Is that gluttony as well?

In Epicureanism the desire for excess creates anxiety and an imbalance in the body so should be avoided.
It seems secular and religious idealism both agree the desire for excess is not healthy.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
In Epicureanism the desire for excess creates anxiety and an imbalance in the body so should be avoided.
It seems secular and religious idealism both agree the desire for excess is not healthy.

I think what excess looks like is different for each of us, though.

A person with high metabolism will likely need to eat often, and in large quantities. A person with a slow metabolism will probably need to eat small quantities infrequently.

It can be hard to know when something is a desire for excess, or just a desire to sustain(which is necessary for health and life).

74x12

God looks on the heart so "gluttony" is not one size fits all sin. Pun not intended.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

I said yes, but I wasn't sure. I'm still not sure, but it just seemed like there were too many 'No' votes. Now someone has voted 'Yes'. You're welcome.