• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this deity possession?

EyeofOdin

I've had some weird things happen in my life.

As a teenager, I loved nothing more than acting and contemporary dance. There was an odd phenomenon that happened, especially when I got stressed before going on stage. I would walk into the stage from the wing, get into character quickly but the next I'd remember is walking off, with the hazy memory of actually being in character, but the memory is broken and sparsely able to be recollected.

Without giving details, I also have had very scary and intense experiences with Odin, sometimes making me think I'm "god-owned" by him (for lack of better diction).

If I think about it, my interests seem to have correlation to his interaction with me. I love learning academics, mysticism, witchcraft and I have a weird obsessive admiration of drag art, being like Odin's roles as lord of knowledge, magic and his shape shifting abilities.

Under stress or confusion, I tend to panic and go... For lack of more better diction... Crazy. I'll do random things that'll either be playful and weird to permanently hurtful.

If I'm intoxicated too much, I'll black out and start to act very differently, sometimes completely oppositely of me in my normal state. I'll act with my opposite sexuality or be more willing to be destructive but I'll still be a know-it-all (which I am, and I'm working on it lol :p).

I had read that possessions vary in intensity. Some are said to be just like having a shoulder angel, others complete loss of bodily control.

Does this sounds like deity possession? If so by Odin? Spirit possession? Or just a series of non-spiritual phenomenon?

I have had my mental health checked btw, and the only thing I have is basic depression.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to brag mystical experiences. I'm just wanting a second opinion, maybe by someone who "horses" gods and spirits more than I have and understands it more.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You should seriously consider seeing a psychiatrist. Never attribute something to the supernatural until you've exhausted every possible mundane explanation.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Non-deliberate invocation of an entity (called "possession" by some - this term isn't really used that much within Paganisms) is... well... problematic.

Whether or not Odin is the entity responsible is honestly besides the point. The story you wish to tell yourself about your experiences is precisely that - it is up to you, and nobody else here can tell that story for you. What I would primarily concern yourself with is whether or not the experiences you have and the story you tell yourself is predominantly a positive force in your life (and the lives of others, human or non-human) or a negative one. Though destruction has its place, I don't encourage destructive personal narratives.

GoodbyeDave

I have had my mental health checked btw, and the only thing I have is basic depression.
Well, that's a start.

As a teenager ... I would walk into the stage from the wing, get into character quickly but the next I'd remember is walking off, with the hazy memory of actually being in character, but the memory is broken and sparsely able to be recollected.
That sort of thing is not uncommon.

If I'm intoxicated too much, I'll black out and start to act very differently, sometimes completely oppositely of me in my normal state.
Technically, that's called getting drunk.

Does this sounds like deity possession? Or just a series of non-spiritual phenomenon?
I'd say the latter. I have no personal experience of possession, but I've read descriptions of the phenomenon in Africa and India, including personal reports, and your general experiences don't seem to fit.

I think you need to strengthen your mind, since the question of mental health doesn't arise. You could try meditation.

EyeofOdin

Well, that's a start.

That sort of thing is not uncommon.

Technically, that's called getting drunk.

I'd say the latter. I have no personal experience of possession, but I've read descriptions of the phenomenon in Africa and India, including personal reports, and your general experiences don't seem to fit.

I think you need to strengthen your mind, since the question of mental health doesn't arise. You could try meditation.

I thought I'd ask. I know my mental health is less than average to say the least, and most people who claim deity possession have some form of a severe mental illness. With that said I'm open to spiritual phenomenon, very much considering how secular I am.

Personally I'm not ashamed. I may be schizo, so what's it to you? ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As a teenager, I loved nothing more than acting and contemporary dance. There was an odd phenomenon that happened, especially when I got stressed before going on stage. I would walk into the stage from the wing, get into character quickly but the next I'd remember is walking off, with the hazy memory of actually being in character, but the memory is broken and sparsely able to be recollected.

I don't believe in possession, deity, spirit, demon or otherwise, so I can't speak on that but I can understand the part about the stage performances. It's not impossible that you have or had a particular gift for becoming so absorbed into the part that you could do it on auto-pilot. That would be not unlike driving somewhere, getting to the destination or some point along the way and thinking "how did I get here?". It's not unlike microsleep Microsleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (which is not always as dire as the article suggests) or highway hypnosis Highway hypnosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (white line fever).

vaguelyhumanoid

Doesn't sound like "possession" at all. Sounds like you just naturally have personality traits that draw you to Oðín. Maybe you had a mystical experience, but definitely not "possession". If you're possessed, the conscious mind is not in control.