• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Acceptable?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I can't think of any religious "facts."
I agree. Anything non-material cannot be proven via the scientific method. This includes the contents of the subjective experience of consciousness of which religion, faith, prayer, devotions, worship, and etc all reside.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I wouldn't call an archaeological discovery that was mentioned in the bible a religious fact. Seems to me that if we had religious "facts" then everyone would believe.
It's not significant whether these facts are religious; at stake is whether these facts contradict the faith claims of the religion. If so, the entire content of the religion is suspect. In other words, if you want to create a religion having intricate historical accounts and detailed scientific claims, better be sure they are all true.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Who can say they don't believe "facts," except maybe the flat-earthers?
Anyone who denies such things as the following are examples of religious people who reject the facts:
  1. That the earth and universe is old.
  2. The utter impossibility of 3 million people wandering in close proximity around the barren desert for 40 years with no food for their abundant animals, and who suddenly transformed from slaves doing menial labor to fierce warriors having adequate weapons.
  3. That Adam was a farmer and had domesticated animals when this didn't occur until 10,000 BCE, yet the first modern human was 200,000 years ago.

Furchizedek

If every detail of the Bible that can be corroborated via science, archeology, history, and etc; if all were accurately corroborated, the most you would know is that perhaps the rest of the text is worthy of belief.

Yes, perhaps.

Furchizedek

Anyone who denies such things as the following are examples of religious people who reject the facts:
  1. That the earth and universe is old.
  2. The utter impossibility of 3 million people wandering in close proximity around the barren desert for 40 years with no food for their abundant animals, and who suddenly transformed from slaves doing menial labor to fierce warriors having adequate weapons.
  3. That Adam was a farmer and had domesticated animals when this didn't occur until 10,000 BCE, yet the first modern human was 200,000 years ago.

You're preaching to the choir, here. Yes, religious people do reject "facts." But the facts they reject or the false facts they accept, of the kind you are talking about, are not religious facts or religious truths. Yes, I agree it's a problem, but they will either insist on their version, or they will overlook the discrepancies. And they usually have an "out" for everything. Like they say Adam and Eve were created 6000 years ago, even though we have Neanderthal DNA in some of us and the Neanderthal went extinct 45,000 years ago, so they argue that carbon dating is wrong, and so on. Just let them remain ignorant and walk away shaking your head. What else can you do? There are reasonable people in the world. Associate with them instead.

Furchizedek

What you are thinking is perfectly reasonable. How could we ever be expected to follow someone else's teachings?
The only way to do that is to give up thinking for one's self.
Since thinking for myself is part of my religion I'm thinking that your desire to create your own religion is perfectly reasonable.
Of course you would understand if I didn't want to join.:)

Attachments

• nut-allergies.jpg
    nut-allergies.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Random but serious question...

Is creating your own religion (but not a God) acceptable? Here are some examples of what I mean:

1. One must not use foul language at themselves or others.
2. One must not create conflict. (i.e. create drama, instigate fights, etc)
3. One must be selfless.

You know, something like that? Kind of like creating your own belief system to follow. Some may actually fit in an existing religion, but sometimes people don't 100% belief in said religion. For example, I believe in somethings that are in the Christian bible, but a lot of it I disagree with. Therefore, I cannot be a Christian.

I am not sure if I'm making any sense, but I really hope you all understand what I'm trying to get at.
Sounds more like a code of ethics than a religion. Religions utilize metaphor and myth to talk theologically about the world and about people’s spiritual dispositions.

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus

Is creating your own religion (but not a God) acceptable? Here are some examples of what I mean:

3. One must be selfless.

You know, something like that? Kind of like creating your own belief system to follow. Some may actually fit in an existing religion, but sometimes people don't 100% belief in said religion. For example, I believe in somethings that are in the Christian bible, but a lot of it I disagree with. Therefore, I cannot be a Christian.

I am not sure if I'm making any sense, but I really hope you all understand what I'm trying to get at.

NO, afraid not:)

There is only One True God
Who has {and that is all even GOD can have} One True Faith
And for reason God alone fully know's; God has always chosen JUST ONE "chosen people" Exodus 6: which Jesus followed with "MY Church" Mt 16:18

God is not interested in our Opinions; only our OBEDIENCE:confused:

ChanaR

3. One must be selfless.

I'm only answering since you asked, and I'm saying up front that my opinion is worth two cents like everyone else's.

I think it would be arrogant to start one's own religion, unless one really thinks one is on par with Moses, Jesus, LaoTze, or Buddha.

Religions contain the distilled wisdom of time. A single individual cannot compensate for that.

Of course, it doesn't mean your brain stops working. If you haven't been brought up in a single tradition, or if you've spent a lot of time studying more than one faith tradition, it is probably impossible for you to believe everything claimed by one religion, or at least to believe it the way it is normally accepted by its adherent. But that doesn't mean you can't join a community closest to where you are at and get along for the sake of sharing your journey, your joys and your sorrows, with others.

Also, I noticed nothing on your list was story. Religions use story telling to convey deeply held values. It doesn't mean you have to believe the stories are historical. But if that's what's holding you back from joining a tradition perhaps we can talk about this.

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
I'm only answering since you asked, and I'm saying up front that my opinion is worth two cents like everyone else's.

I think it would be arrogant to start one's own religion, unless one really thinks one is on par with Moses, Jesus, LaoTze, or Buddha.

Religions contain the distilled wisdom of time. A single individual cannot compensate for that.

Of course, it doesn't mean your brain stops working. If you haven't been brought up in a single tradition, or if you've spent a lot of time studying more than one faith tradition, it is probably impossible for you to believe everything claimed by one religion, or at least to believe it the way it is normally accepted by its adherent. But that doesn't mean you can't join a community closest to where you are at and get along for the sake of sharing your journey, your joys and your sorrows, with others.

Also, I noticed nothing on your list was story. Religions use story telling to convey deeply held values. It doesn't mean you have to believe the stories are historical. But if that's what's holding you back from joining a tradition perhaps we can talk about this.

TO: H3ather

Can you? SURE, one can do ANYTHING right? I mean, nobody is going to tell ME what to do!

John 14: 6 “[6] Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.”

Jesus {GOD} is telling us that He alone is the religious TRUTH; note that this is teaching that the safest, the surest way to heaven is to do things His Way.

Truth can only be singular per defined Issue; anything else is impossible; and make-believe.

In the entire bible God with consistency taught that tere are; and thus we are to believe in:

One True God: Eph. 4: 6 [6] One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in us all.” … Lev. 11: 44 “ [44] For I am the Lord your God: be holy because I am holy.”

Only One True Faith: Eph 4:5[5] One Lord, one faith, one baptism.” … Tobit 2: 18 “ [18] For we are the children of the saints, and look for that life which God will give to those that never change their faith from him.”

And Only One Chosen People: Exo.6:7 “ [7] And I will take you to myself for my people, I will be your God: and you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brought you out from the work prison of the Egyptians. Which Jesus followed by Establishing His One True Church.

Only One True Church: Mt 16: 18 … [18]And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, {singular} and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” {All churches are self-identified by their freely chose set of Faith beliefs.}

So friend, perhaps a more prudent question is, Not CAN I, {you can}; But Should I? … NO! Not if Eternal life with Jesus is important to you.

May God guide our life paths,

Patrick

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think the necessary first step is to define what a "Religion" is.

How does "a religion" differ from a simple Belief in "God"
Does a religion set the rules on how we should live?
Or can a set of rules define a religion.?
Do rules define God?
Is there any evidence that God defines rules at all.?
How could you establish who makes rules, Man or God?
If it is God that makes the rules, how is it that ever religion and denomination has different rules?

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
I think the necessary first step is to define what a "Religion" is.

I think the necessary first step is to define what a "Religion" is. [B said:
[1][/B] How does "a religion" differ from a simple Belief in "God"
[2] Does a religion set the rules on how we should live?
Or can a set of rules define a religion.?
[3] Do rules define God?
[4] Is there any evidence that God defines rules at all.?
[5]How could you establish who makes rules, Man or God?
[6] If it is God that makes the rules, how is it that ever religion and denomination has different rules?

Thank you for asking. I’m NOT a theologian so please consider that in reviewing my responses.

[1] How does "a religion" differ from a simple Belief in "God"

“RELIGION. The moral virtue by which a person is disposed to render to God the worship and service he deserves. I. Religion thus corresponds to the practice of piety toward God as Creator of the universe.” Father Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Be`lief´

Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partialor full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty; persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of2.
(Theol.) A persuasion of the truths of religion; faith.

No man can attain [to] belief by the bare contemplation of heaven and earth.

- Hooker.

. END QUOTES

In my own words:

“Religion” is the belief in and of God or god{s}, with an eye towards Worshiping, worshiping Him, him or them. {Thought with action}

“Belief” is knowledge of God or gods; without an outward or even an inner acknowledgment of same. {Thought without action}

[2] Does a religion set the rules on how we should live?

Doing so is a foundational, fundamental precept of all religions; although these precepts can vary greatly.

[3] Do rules define God?

No, God defines Moral Rules & the Natural Laws {the 10 Commandments and the Beatitudes for example}

[4] Is there any evidence that God defines rules at all?

Absolutely: Good& Evil, and the ability to know, and to choose freely either one {with consequences}. … In the entire created universe only humanity emulates our God with an immortal Soul that is Rational.

[5]How could you establish who makes rules, Man or God?

GREAT question!

Both, and both are essential for viable society; a happy self and for understanding & meriting WHY it is that we {humanity} even exist.

As “goodness” originates with God; God is therefore the author of all things “good.”

“Rules” would need to be further defined and categorized; but here are some published examples.

Critical Categories

Academic:
Social:
Procedural:

Cultural:

1. Rules that Promote Safety

Safety rules includes physical safety and emotional safety.

2. Rules that Promote Morality

Rules that instill values and sound moral judgments

3. Rules that Develop Healthy Habits

5. Rules that Prepare one for the Real World

Patrick

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

3. One must be selfless.

It looks like that you believe in God but did not find a religion that is a religion of God without doubt.

Then let me say this:

If there is God, then he will not hide his religion from his creatures..

So my opinion is that you must continue your search rather than creating your own religion..You are not a prophet!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

3. One must be selfless.

This is not a religion as such, but more a case of personal standards of behavior. None of those things involve worship. Even atheists could adopt them.

I believe in somethings that are in the Christian bible, but a lot of it I disagree with. Therefore, I cannot be a Christian.

Would you like to share what you agree with and what you disagree with?
Have you discussed your differences with anyone?

arthra

Baha'i
3. One must be selfless.
You know, something like that? Kind of like creating your own belief system to follow.

There are a couple things that come o mind... I can see someone in a stage of searching for meaning in life postulating "creating your own religion". What I discovered though when this happens is that pretty soon you understand that "creating your own religion" doesn't allow for much growth in that you can always move the "goal posts" and not much is attained.

Some of what you've written:

"One must not create conflict. (i.e. create drama, instigate fights, etc) One must be selfless."
are found in the concept of "Ahimsa" in Jainism and you might also find religious principles have been an influence in various cultures already. So over time spiritual principles have been inculcated in various cultures. Baha'i Faith has similar principles as well.​

Agent

They need to be a good recruiter. If you can't get anybody into your rooms, than you will only be speaking to yourself. Even Morpheus could get people to listen to him and he attracted followers.