• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as Salvation?

I define salvation as being the ultimate releif, kind of like breathing after holding your breath for a long time. In the end (when you die) God will determin if you deserve to breathe. If you beleive in reincarnation then you may move up a step, letting you breath a little easier.

If you are talking about salvation on earth you can have that too. Just simply "cheat" or take the easy way out, hire a prostitute, or shoot some heroin, give into every temptation and breathe freely, God gives you the choice.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Runt said:
Salvation is a human concept that discourages individual responsibility,
Runt, not all Christians have the same view of salvation. Such a comment does not fit in Catholic Soteriology.

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mister Emu said:
Yes.

Salvation is the state of being where one is "saved" from the righteous punishment due because of sins committed.

How one attains salvation is disscussed in detail in the New Testament of the Bible.
In his absence (sadly) I can say that Mr Emu came up trumps again.........;)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
The English word salvation derives from the Latin salus, meaning health. Unitarian Universalists are as concerned with salvation, in the sense of spiritual health or wholeness, as any other religious people. However, in many Western churches, salvation has come to be associated with a specific set of beliefs or a spiritual transformation of a very limited type.

Among Unitarian Universalists, instead of salvation you will hear of our yearning for, and our experience of, personal growth, increased wisdom, strength of character, and gifts of insight, understanding, inner and outer peace, courage, patience, and compassion. The ways in which these things come to, change, and heal us, are many indeed. We seek and celebrate them in our worship.
Namaste Maize,

I realize that you wrote this a year and a half ago and may not see things the same way anymore. To be honest, I would probably have defined salvation similarly a year and a half ago. However, now as I look at it, I do see how it is open to Truthseeker's charge of egoism.

Here is my response now: We Unitarian Universalists do believe in salvation. But for us, salvation is not merely about the individual, whether we're talking about self-cultivation or getting into heaven. For UUs, salvation is communal. Either we are all saved as a community or we are all "damned" as a community. Thus, we yearn for and experience personal growth, increased wisdom, strength of character, gifts of insight, understanding, inner and outer peace, courage, patience, and compassion - all the things you talked about - for the purpose of working towards our beloved community, heaven on earth. Our self-cultivation is for the purpose of better being able to work for social justice. Our view of salvation is not egoism because it is not ultimately about the self. It is and always has been about the community of all souls.

Either we are all saved as a community or we are all "damned" as a community.

I strongly disagree with this comment, and this is why:

Romans 2:7-8 "He will give eternal life to everyone who has patiently done what is good in the hope of receiving glory, honor, and life that lasts forever.
But He will show how angry and furious He can be with every selfish person who rejects the Truth and wants to do evil."
Romans 14:12 "And so each of us must give an account to God for what we do."

These Scriptures clearly tell us that God will judge us individually according to our deeds. This isn't a majority judgment, but its a personal judgment!!

We chose to be condemned by God, by not asking for forgiveness of the sin in our lives. We have an option to confess (agree with God that what we have done is sin) with our mouths that we have done wrong, and need forgiveness. Asking for forgiveness is as simple as saying: "God please forgive me of the sin I have committed," and then turn away from that sin. But the catch is, that you must truly turn away and be sincere in what you ask for. This seems to be the biggest problem for most of us!! Because it's so easy to sin in this world. Everyday we are faced with this great challenge of turning away from sin and living a good life. We are not in this alone, because Jesus is right there next to us helping and giving us strength to accomplish the task that we must face. All we have to do is accept His free advice and strength and let Him take care of the rest!! Its as simple as that.
Really, its that simple....
- Jake -

Which is why you're not a Unitarian-Universalist
What makes you a Unitarian-Universalist? Is it just what you think you are or do you actually follow the doctrines of that philosophy? And if you follow those doctrines, what are your doctrines that you must follow? How do you know that what you believe is the right thing to believe in or not? Did you become an Universalist because it sounded cool? Im not being a jerk i really want to know why you are what you say you are!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Victor said:
Runt, not all Christians have the same view of salvation. Such a comment does not fit in Catholic Soteriology.

~Victor
It doesn't fit into LDS soteriology either.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Sanctified_by_Faith said:
What makes you a Unitarian-Universalist? Is it just what you think you are or do you actually follow the doctrines of that philosophy? And if you follow those doctrines, what are your doctrines that you must follow? How do you know that what you believe is the right thing to believe in or not? Did you become an Universalist because it sounded cool? Im not being a jerk i really want to know why you are what you say you are!!
It is rather jerky to ask someone if she is what she is "because it sounded cool."

First off, this is not a debate forum. We were asked our opinions on whether this is such a thing as salvation and I gave mine. You may disagree with my views but citing scripture in order to show "why" I'm wrong presumes that I should be bound by your scriptures. A UU would not be that presumptuous towards someone of a different faith. That's reason number one why you're not a UU.

Second, as a UU, we believe that whether or not there is an afterlife, this life right here and right now is important. People suffering in this life right here and right now are important. As UUs we could never believe that our own salvation could be attained while ignoring the needs of others. That's reason number two why you're not a UU.

That should also be sufficient to eplain why I am not whatever it is you are.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Is there such a thing as Salvation?

Dear OP: Please define your terms: Do you mean in the Christian sense? Or in the more mundane sense? Or in the metaphorical sense? Or in some other sense currently imperceptible to my admittedly somewhat inebriated cerebrum?