• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there sex in heaven(paradise)

M

Majikthise

Booko said:
They've set up some standards, but "sticking noses" to me means something a lot more intrusive than that. I've not heard of the Church giving anyone the third degree about contraceptive use or snooping around the medicine cabinet, anyway..)

Well, I have several friends, including one who I sleep next to every night ,that might argue to the contrary.:D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Polaris said:
Non-existance upon death is scary for most people because it means a permanant good-bye. For those who have lost little ones or any loved one for that matter, the thought of no life after death is very scary. On the other hand those who believe that life continues in some form after death there is much hope and anticipation in being reunited with loved ones.

I guess I never will understand this, then. If I'm non-existent, it's not like it'll be possible to miss anyone.

I would think a belief in hell would be worse, that is if my loved ones end up one place and I end up another, now that would be separation, and I'd have eternity to realize it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
doppelgänger said:
I'm in paradise, and I can report that there's definitely sex.

I've been to paradise, just like Hemingway, and there's definitely sex there, because I've seen the children. But it gets awfully cold in the winter, especially when the wind blows off Lake Superior.

However, there's a really good brewery there with an excellent microbrew. For us teetotalers, they make a wonderful root beer. And the pasties are to die for. :drool:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Majikthise said:
Well, I have several friends, including one who I sleep next to every night ,that might argue to the contrary.:D

Ah, I had not run into that yet. But then, the Archdiocese of Detroit was the most liberal in the country for years, which might make a big difference.

M

Majikthise

Booko said:
Ah, I had not run into that yet. But then, the Archdiocese of Detroit was the most liberal in the country for years, which might make a big difference.

Your right, we have a large population of catholic immigrants. My wife is Irish and Portuguese. My friends all have close ties to the old country also and are only a couple of generations in America. Some of the things I see Portuguese women put up with in the name of thier church is .... I don't know,, frustrating I guess.:shrug:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Hi Katzpur,
[This exchange really belongs within the thread I referenced, but you opened the door here...]

You said:
Maybe that's how you see Heaven.
I don't see "it" at all.
My summary is based upon the overwhelming lack of any provided details of what Heaven is, or what one actually does there for trillions upon trillions of years on end.

I plan to have a life filled to overflowing with purpose. I see myself as being given the potential to strive, learn, known, solve, aspire and create just about anything I want to.
This is similar to a reply you tendered in that previously refernced thread, in saying:
"You’ll need to strive, learn, know, solve, aspire to and create in order to become as God is. This is what He wants for you."
["To become as God is." That's a little different that "anything I want to do". If I'm eternal and immortal, then what's the hurry or motivation to do anything? If God wants me to be like Him, and I'm not, or don't want to be, what then?]

But can't you do all that aspiring, learning, and creating in the here, and now? Or do you [have to] serve some other purpose in this life instead, or fulfill first snd foremost? Is that earthly purpose perhaps unnecessary in Heaven/Paradise? Would there be need need of missionary's, or preachers/priests?
Or fireman, policeman, doctors, politicians, public servants, plumbers, electricians, soldiers, playwrights, professors, or scientists? Any calling for day-care providers or babysitters, or hair stylists, or journalists, or bus drivers, or schoolteachers, or civil engineers?

Again I ask--just what does one aspire to be in Heaven/Paradise? Certainly not "anything" you want to be. And just what is it that God Himself does, after He snuffs out this plane of existence to provide Paradise.
If I want to be like Him, and I (eventually) attain parity with Him, what then makes God special or important, or even necessary?

What would you strive to know, learn, or solve once in the heavenly presence of God Himself?

Colossians 2:2-4:
"My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

"Complete understanding", and "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge". You already get all that in Heaven. What else is there beyond "all"?

Enjoy your cognac. If you believe that's as good as it's going to get for you, I'm sorry.
No need to offer your sypathies. The cognac indeed serves nicely enough (better with a nice cigar), especially when I'm not having sex.

It's not as good as it gets, as reminder the OP is about [having] sex, and whether or not Heaven is a place to get down and funky with your lover, or not.

In that "other" thread , you offered this as reply:
"I wouldn’t venture a guess as to whether or not there will be sex, but I certainly wouldn’t say it’s out of the question. There won’t be babies, because we will all have reached physical and emotional maturity."

Ya see? You really don't know.
You're left to speculate, or guess (or not, I suppose). Yet your religion (almost all deistic ones, for that matter) seems pretty sure (or absolutely positive) about what kind of sex is fine with God in this realm, and what kind(s) of sex (or with whom, or when) are taboo, or "sinful".

And yeah, I got a problem with that kind of arrangement/understanding. Not very quid pro quo. God gets to dictate all the things I'm either "supposed" to be doing, or not be doing here on Earth, now and today (in order to attain a "next-life" Paradise)...but He's not very forthcoming at all about providing any details of regulated boundaries, behaviors, or bars...in Paradise.
Most people wouldn't spend their life-savings to travel to a destination they knew practically nothing about, have never seen (even in pictures), and firm commitment to buy-in only allows for a one-way ticket--all predicated solely upon the word of a popularly known (but never seen in person) travel agent that says, "Trust me, you'll love it! It's...Paradise!".

Unless I one day become senile, and all capacities of rational discernment fail me, that sort of proposition will remain but a requisite leap of faith for me--that no amount of cognac, sex, or promises of perfect beachside bungalow (or mansion) vistas...will ever provide as compelling enough reason to jump blindfolded with an empty wallet of yet unfulfilled dreams into some pool of hopeful wishes and "trust me's".