• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone posting here who does *not* think it’s always wrong to try to help improve the world?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: I already know that many people do think that it’s wrong. I’m not asking how many and who they are. I’m asking if there is anyone who does not think that it’s wrong.

Is there anyone posting here who does not think that it’s always wrong for anyone to do anything else to try to help improve the world, besides improving themselves? Also, is there anyone here who does not think that it’s always wrong for anyone to do anything else to try to help improve what happens in Internet discussions, besides improving their own behavior?

That is not a rhetorical question. I’m really, seriously asking. It would do me good to know, if I’m not the only one.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Be the change you want to see in the world." -- Gandhi.

The odds of someone improving based on someone else's feedback is very very low.

The better we are at communicating, the more likely it is that someone will consciously or more likely unconsciously change their own behavior, perhaps without fully realizing that they're doing so.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I thought that it would be obvious from my question that I already know that many people do think that it’s always wrong for anyone to do anything else to try to help improve the world, besides improving themselves. I’ve added a note to the OP, to clarify my question.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Have your fun. Why just the world, change the universe itself. People have various bugs in their heads. The real danger is that in their quest to improve the world, they could actually worsen it. That is what history tells us.

Jedster

I think the world is improved when people have real communication between each other, rather than swapping memes.
When people are really open and honest with each other, a recognition occurs that can improve things.

Rachel Redeemed

NOTE: I already know that many people do think that it’s wrong. I’m not asking how many and who they are. I’m asking if there is anyone who does not think that it’s wrong.

Is there anyone posting here who does not think that it’s always wrong for anyone to do anything else to try to help improve the world, besides improving themselves? Also, is there anyone here who does not think that it’s always wrong for anyone to do anything else to try to help improve what happens in Internet discussions, besides improving their own behavior?

That is not a rhetorical question. I’m really, seriously asking. It would do me good to know, if I’m not the only one.

Rachel Redeemed

Depends on the situation. I’ve read forums where a man was giving advice about breastfeeding infants. Almost as if he, not his wife was the one doing all the work. Good intentions, but why not let his wife comment instead? If your intent is to prove someone wrong and not enlighten them is a respectful manner, then that is wrong.

PureX

Veteran Member
It depends on what one sees as an "improvement". A lot of people would see an "improvement" as being anything that causes the world to better serve their own desires. Which rarely improves the world for everyone else. And even if we were to "improve the world" for all humanity, does that really improve the world? Or just our experience of it?

I don't see how we could even know that we have truly improved the world, even if we had that kind of power.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In general I believe that people that want to change the world are misguided. I don't believe it to be wrong as people should be allowed to pursue there goals.

This is not to say that people who try to change there locality are misguided only those that believe the world is there locality.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

If nobody tried to help improve the world, we'd all be living in the Stone Age.

Erebus

I don't think trying to improve the world is wrong.

I may however take issue with somebody's views on what needs improving and how it should be achieved.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I would be one such I guess...

Reactions: Jim

Audie

Veteran Member

Your first line, in bold.
Really?
I doubt it.