• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anyone on RF who has never seen snow?

What's your experience with snow?

• It snows A LOT where I live (or have lived at some time).

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I live (or have lived) somewhere where snow is rather common in the winter.

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • I have seen snow on only a handful of occasions in my life.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I'm one of the lucky ones. The only snow I've ever seen is in pictures.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never seen snow, but I would LOVE to experience it just once!

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Well, the funny thing about snow in Hot'Lanta, Georgia is that they might forecast frozen precipitation 5 days a year. In most years, we see nothing more than a light dusting or freezing rain totaling less than 0.182".

The one time every 4-5 years that a measurable amount of snow, sleet, and/or ice actually does accumulate on the ground, people do take the day off knowing that it's going to be 50 F the next day, and all traces of frozen stuff will be relegated to the newspaper.

When something happens so infrequently, there's no point in spending public money on snow removal equipment.

Way back when in 1982, when I was in 6th grade, it was -5 F a Monday morning in mid January, and school was closed because none of the buses would start. Tuesday morning, about 2 hours after school started, the principal and assistants literally ran through the halls telling everyone to pack up and go home because it was about to start snowing and might not stop. :D We were out of school until the next Monday because there was no way to clear the 7 inches of snow off the roads.

Three years later, about the same time of year, we had 8 inches of sleet. I think that one only cost us a couple of 'snow' days because there was a weekend involved.

March 1993, it started sleeting then snowing Saturday morning before I graduated from GA Tech. At the ceremony, the big topic of conversation is that there was still snow on the ground and on some buildings since that RARELY happened.

Those 3 events are what stick in many peoples' minds when they freak out and buy out the stores when the weather guys say the :snowflake: word. BTW...I think the fact that I remember the dates gives away my answer in the poll....only a handful of snowfalls.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I live in the Caribbean. Nuff said!

However, I will love to experience a white Christmas one of these good years.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
We have had the warmest January since records started.
We had two very slight showers that melted right away.
The norm here 50 years ago was for drifts to be up to 15 feet high.
It has got less and less since then.

many ski resorts in Europe only have snow from machines this year.

love

tri-polar optimist
It snowed here in Dec. 1989. It was as messed up as soup sandwich. Very few had any idea how to drive.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hema said:
I live in the Caribbean. Nuff said!

However, I will love to experience a white Christmas one of these good years.
Have you always lived in the Caribbean, Hema? I'm assuming that means that you have never, ever actually seen snow. I could be VERY, VERY, VERY happy in the Caribbean!

Mercy Not Sacrifice

CaptainXeroid said:
Well, the funny thing about snow in Hot'Lanta, Georgia is that they might forecast frozen precipitation 5 days a year. In most years, we see nothing more than a light dusting or freezing rain totaling less than 0.182".

The one time every 4-5 years that a measurable amount of snow, sleet, and/or ice actually does accumulate on the ground, people do take the day off knowing that it's going to be 50 F the next day, and all traces of frozen stuff will be relegated to the newspaper.

When something happens so infrequently, there's no point in spending public money on snow removal equipment.

Way back when in 1982, when I was in 6th grade, it was -5 F a Monday morning in mid January, and school was closed because none of the buses would start. Tuesday morning, about 2 hours after school started, the principal and assistants literally ran through the halls telling everyone to pack up and go home because it was about to start snowing and might not stop. :D We were out of school until the next Monday because there was no way to clear the 7 inches of snow off the roads.

Three years later, about the same time of year, we had 8 inches of sleet. I think that one only cost us a couple of 'snow' days because there was a weekend involved.

March 1993, it started sleeting then snowing Saturday morning before I graduated from GA Tech. At the ceremony, the big topic of conversation is that there was still snow on the ground and on some buildings since that RARELY happened.

Those 3 events are what stick in many peoples' minds when they freak out and buy out the stores when the weather guys say the :snowflake: word. BTW...I think the fact that I remember the dates gives away my answer in the poll....only a handful of snowfalls.

Dude, how about the panic in the last couple of near ice storms?!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Dude, how about the panic in the last couple of near ice storms?!
Dude....the events I described are what fueled the panic!;) Why else do you think people think they're going to either trapped in their houses or find stores that were unable to recieve shipments.:p

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Until I moved from the West to East coast I had only seen snow a half dozen times in my life and had never seen it fall (only already on the ground). As we were meandering from Cali to New York, I witnesssed my first snowfall. It was either in Utah or Colorado. We were in the car and I was so excited that I was trying to take pictures of the road as it fell. My friend, who had grown up in Michigan and had seen plenty of snow, thought that I had lost my mind. :p

In New York it snowed pretty regularly all the winter. In DC we maybe get a handful of snowstorms a year that leave anything behind. So far we've only had one this year and it was wimpy.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Katzpur said:
We just had another big snowstorm here in Salt Lake City. The way I figure, winter is only about 1/3 of the way over, and I'm already so sick of it I could scream. Do any of you live somewhere where it never, ever snows?

I live in the south and it hasn't snowed in the two years I have lived here. I LOVE THE SNOW. I actually wanted my kids to play in the snow so badly I decided to fly the family back to Utah for Christmas. It just doesn't feel like winter without snow. I love rain too. Any stormy weather is awesome. I love driving in snow and rain. Sunshine is nice but boring.