• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any significant difference between Libertarians and Republicans?

HonestJoe

Is there any real or significant difference between Libertarians and Republicans? If so, what is it?
There are no significant differences between Republicans and Democrats. People who strongly identify with any mainstream political ideology have a lot more in common with each other than they do with people who don't.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Is there any real or significant difference between Libertarians and Republicans? If so, what is it?

I've often wondered about questions such as this or are Libertarians and Independents different. They sometimes strike me as the same....although Independents seem to lean a little more to the (right).....I don't know..can some one help me on this or is it not that straight forward?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are no significant differences between Republicans and Democrats. People who strongly identify with any mainstream political ideology have a lot more in common with each other than they do with people who don't.
A 2 party system drives them to be similar, since each is fighting to gaarner 51% of the vote.
Winning the favor of that few % in the middle is the difference between winning & losing,
so catering to the extreme elements doesn't pay well.

I've often wondered about questions such as this or are Libertarians and Independents different. They sometimes strike me as the same....although Independents seem to lean a little more to the (right).....I don't know..can some one help me on this or is it not that straight forward?
And independent can be libertarian, but usually isn't. Libertarians have a pretty well defined
agenda of economic & social liberty. Most independents don't agree with all of that extremism
we espouse. Independents might share a philosophy with a major party, but eschew it because
of differences with a candidate or the organization, eg, Ross Perot.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
And independent can be libertarian, but usually isn't. Libertarians have a pretty well defined
agenda of economic & social liberty. Most independents don't agree with all of that extremism
we espouse. Independents might share a philosophy with a major party, but eschew it because
of differences with a candidate or the organization, eg, Ross Perot.

Thanks. :clap