• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any significant difference between Libertarians and Republicans?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is there any real or significant difference between Libertarians and Republicans? If so, what is it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Libertarians support social/personal freedoms such as gay rights and marijuana legalization.

But don't moderate Republicans also support such personal freedoms? Are Libertarians like moderate Republicans on social issues, and extremist Republicans on fiscal and economic issues, then?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some big differences are that we favor:
- Low taxes
- Constitutionally limited government
- Small government
- Gay rights
- Abortion rights
- Drug decriminalization
- No foreign adventurism
- No business subsidies or rescues

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some big differences are that we favor:
- Low taxes
- Constitutionally limited government
- Small government
- Gay rights
- Abortion rights
- Drug decriminalization
- No foreign adventurism
- No business subsidies or rescues

Are you seriously suggesting Republicans do not favor those things?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
But don't moderate Republicans also support such personal freedoms? Are Libertarians like moderate Republicans on social issues, and extremist Republicans on fiscal and economic issues, then?

A republican that supports gay rights or marijuana legalization is extremely rare. None dare cross their christian conservative base.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you seriously suggesting Republicans do not favor those things?
I don't merely suggest it, I clearly state that they do not support these things.
Some individual Pubs & Dems might lean slightly in the direction of one or more, but none embrace all.

Are you seriously suggesting that Republicans actually do favor those things?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
In theory there are, but the only noticable major differences are in areas like government reach and warefare.

Typically Republicians support a fairly robust federal government, particularly in the areas of military and law enforcement. They don't advocate returning all public property to private ownership, and they support wars waged for reasons other than self- defense.

(Some) libertarians call for returning all government property, from roads to national parks, to private ownership, and believe that infrastructure should be dealt with through private parties. And the only acceptable war is one fought on US soil in order to stop an invading army.

Unfortunately, the libertarian moniker has been largely hijacked over the last couple of election cycles by disgruntled Republicans and Tea Partyers who want to distance themselves from what they view as a "moderate" GOP.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Pubs are quick to go to war while Libs do not.

That and the pot and abortion thing.

Pretty much one could say Libertarians are not tied to the religious right like Republicans are.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Pubs are quick to go to war while Libs do not.

That and the pot and abortion thing.

Pretty much one could say Libertarians are not tied to the religious right like Republicans are.

Right, the biggest and most obvious difference is that the libertarians don't push the christian fundamentalist agenda like the republicans do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Libertarians call for returning all government property, from roads to national parks, to private ownership, and believe that infrastructure should be dealt with through private parties. And the only acceptable war is one fought on US soil in order to stop an invading army.
That's overly specific, & not on the party platform.

Unfortunately, the libertarian moniker has been largely hijacked over the last couple of election cycles by disgruntled Republicans and Tea Partyers who want to distance themselves from what they view as a "moderate" GOP.
People do love to redefine us & appropriate the name, dat's fer sure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never asserted that it was on the platform. There are quite a few libertarian principles that aren't specifically listed there.
I take issue with your statement beginning with "Libertarians call for....".
You could say "Some Libertarians...", which would avoid over-generalizing.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Why would you support a party that's incompatible with your values?
Because the other party is worse?

I embrace sink or swim with basic very basic support nets. Three hots and a cot.

You may not agree with my tough love, but rewarding failure and penalising success is counter productive.

I also have two viewpoints, my religion that should not be one size fits all and my politics which favors small government.

A government that is cumbersome and wasteful is a recipe for disaster.

I make my money off of risk and all the safety nets are killing me.

While my politics are tough, my personal beliefs are not.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I take issue with your statement beginning with "Libertarians call for....".
You could say "Some Libertarians...", which would avoid over-generalizing.

You're free to take issue with it. There is no way any statement could effectively describe every person who subscribes to a particular political philosophy, and the official party platform does not define the libertarian philosophy.

But, if it will help, I hereby amend my previous comment to say "some" libertarians.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're free to take issue with it. There is no way any statement could effectively describe every person who subscribes to a particular political philosophy, and the official party platform does not define the libertarian philosophy.
But, if it will help, I hereby amend my previous comment to say "some" libertarians.
Woo hoo! Detente!