• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There a Mystical Significance in Dreams?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A few years ago, way back in '10 and '11 I think, maybe even a little earlier, I wrote down dreams that I remember well of and that I find significant. I stopped doing this for a couple years now, I simply started to just get lazy with it and it was during the time I approached the black hole in philosophy, Nihilism, and perhaps I haven't gotten to the event horizon of Nihilism because even though I am convinced it is the only sensible philosophy, I am escaping it, mostly involuntarily since I can't help but see Nihilism as a goal one should seek instead of how it is commonly viewed as a thing we should avoid falling into.

Since around March of this year I have been having experiences where I will completely space out and it feels like my mind scans through thoughts automatically and quickly, somehow I contemplate a thought but I only observe the contemplation instead of actually thinking about it myself. It's very strange and I'd be very interested to know what these are, if anyone has ever experienced the same thing, and if these trains of thoughts moving in cruise control actually have significance. These usually happen when I am alone and I have time to clear my mind and rest, when I'm not concentrated on much at all.

It has been helping me build some kind of spiritual element to existence I used to see as dull and meaningless, and instead is now brightened and having meaning in their own way - their meaning is whatever it accomplishes during its existence, even if it is not an intended meaning, it is a created meaning.

These experiences seem awfully close to dreams. I do not notice that what is happening is odd until I snap out of it, it seems to be out of my control I can only observe it, and that they are processing information.

So I am curious if anyone knows what these contemplations are, if they have any significance, and if anyone else has these. Also I'd like to know what causes them so I can have better control over it. There are times when I wish it to happen but it doesn't and there are times when I wish it not to happen but it does.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me from your description that what's happening is your mind is spontaneously meditating. It's a rare but natural sort of process that is likely somehow associated with what people sometimes experience during mystical episodes, especially the part about viewing thoughts as if they were apart from you, the part about not being aware it's going on at the time it's going on, and the part about it changing how you look at meaning. Those are all commonly associated with genuine meditation, and in a way, with mystical experiences. I wouldn't call it a mystical experience, though. Just something in some ways similar.

I would just take it in stride, as if it had no significance beyond being a curiosity, if I were you, and neither try to stop it nor make it happen, nor spend much effort trying to figure it out. Things like what you're experiencing can be like the goose that laid the golden egg -- if you try to analyze or dissect them, the goose dies and the eggs are no longer forthcoming.

Last edited:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
A few years ago, way back in '10 and '11 I think, maybe even a little earlier, I wrote down dreams that I remember well of and that I find significant. I stopped doing this for a couple years now, I simply started to just get lazy with it and it was during the time I approached the black hole in philosophy, Nihilism, and perhaps I haven't gotten to the event horizon of Nihilism because even though I am convinced it is the only sensible philosophy, I am escaping it, mostly involuntarily since I can't help but see Nihilism as a goal one should seek instead of how it is commonly viewed as a thing we should avoid falling into.

Since around March of this year I have been having experiences where I will completely space out and it feels like my mind scans through thoughts automatically and quickly, somehow I contemplate a thought but I only observe the contemplation instead of actually thinking about it myself. It's very strange and I'd be very interested to know what these are, if anyone has ever experienced the same thing, and if these trains of thoughts moving in cruise control actually have significance. These usually happen when I am alone and I have time to clear my mind and rest, when I'm not concentrated on much at all.

It has been helping me build some kind of spiritual element to existence I used to see as dull and meaningless, and instead is now brightened and having meaning in their own way - their meaning is whatever it accomplishes during its existence, even if it is not an intended meaning, it is a created meaning.

These experiences seem awfully close to dreams. I do not notice that what is happening is odd until I snap out of it, it seems to be out of my control I can only observe it, and that they are processing information.

So I am curious if anyone knows what these contemplations are, if they have any significance, and if anyone else has these. Also I'd like to know what causes them so I can have better control over it. There are times when I wish it to happen but it doesn't and there are times when I wish it not to happen but it does.

My mother-in-law dabbles in such "experiences" within her weekly assemblage of "dream group", and it appears quite harmless. I see no validation available to support such "visions" et all, but then no antagonistic nor willfully harmful proclivities either.

Like the kids favor today, "whatever" :)

mystic64

nolonger active

The Sum of Awe, technically you are in a dream state. And with most folks their conscious mind is asleep/not conscious in the lower mind frequencies where one dreams. In your case and in the case of those who do it on purpose (it is where I spend most of my waking time :) ), you and they are still conscious. Normally dreaming is your subconscious mind/the automated part of your mind processing information. What is interesting is that if you are doing meditations that are expanding your consciousness you actually are downloading information from some outside source and the automated part of your mind will then process this information and then run it by the conscious mind for permission to accept it as real as a whole or as pieces that are considered valid by the conscious mind (this communication usually happens in the lower mind fequencies). At that point you experience a cognitive leap that is the result of expanding your consciousness. And these cognitive leaps are usually preceded by mild to major fear or apprehension periods. This is because you have stepped into the "unknown" and one's mind is normally afraid of the unknown. Once the automated part of the mind processes the information the fear goes away and one is in awe of what they to have learned. Over time if one continues to seek the mind expansion experience the fear phase becomes mild and something that is understood and the new processed information becomes something that is eagerly awaited for. Sometimes though this just happens spontaniously because one is just naturally connected.

Controlling things? You can control your dreams and what it is that your subconscious mind/the automated part of your mind is processing, but you can not control when you recieve the cognitive leap information because it only can happen when the new information is processed.