• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a good reason to doubt God?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Doubting is a luxury we cannot afford. Some would say that doubting is not a luxury but instead a terrible trial and burden. We love to give up trials and burdens, we hardly like to give up luxuries. Trying to give up doubt would be to some like giving up their blanket. And that is what doubt is, a luxury, something we tend to not want to give up. When doubt comes to our door with its sympathetic arguments as to why you cannot believe God, we sit and entertain our 'friend' We join in with their arguments and utterly beleive that we are a perculiar case,and that we cannot trust in God in this or that matter for reasons that are quite understandable. And so we come to walk in the council of the wicked friend doubt and sit around until our doubt has become nothing but scofffing at Gods ability. Of course we dont MEAN to blame God for having doubts, we just wish He would give us more to go on.

We are like little lambs who say'' the shephard only cares about the little sheep that do not wander''

To deliver yourself from your friend called doubt, you have to make the obvious choice. You have to let him go, you have to use your will and say 'I WILL BELIEVE'. Why? Because God is utterly trustworthy and faitful to perform whatever pleases Him, and it pleases Him if you dont doubt Him.

Then BECOME like a child again. A child feels no need to worry about whether they will be fed, clothed, comforted, protected and loved. (No wonder satan attacks families the way He does, if a child has a head start on what it means to trust their father, it would be easier to trust God)

A child comes in and out of his fathers house without a care in the world. Knowing that the Father will be there always. The father always loves Him. The father provides the child with whatever it is that they need. The child does not gather provision in a secret room in the event that the father might forget about him. Even in the time of war and great danger, the child instinctively knows to draw closer to the father, who WILL fight for them!

You get into a train or a bus and you dont think twice about whehter the driver is competent to get you to your destination. You go to a restaurant and eat food laid before you without thinking its going to be poisoned. If we can place this kind of trust in people, we have ample reason to trust our Heavenly Father with SO much more!

Give up on doubt. Its not your friend. Trust God, you know how to do it, you trust various people instinctively everyday. TRUST HIM all the more.

Is there a good reason to doubt God? I wouldnt think so. But somehow we find ourselves doing it. Its a luxury we cannot afford.

What say you?
Heneni

themadhair

I'm interested to see if other Christians share your perspective. I can't comment since I am not Christian but I would be very surprised if the RC's would agree.

Heneni

Miss Independent
:no: Not any more
Great :D

I don't feel I have any control over what I believe or doubt because I believe these things come from a place beneath conscious thought.

Oh...i did not realise that the Bahai faith does not .....call themselves Chrisitians. I major oversight on my part. But you believe in God right? Lets continue then.

So you believe that believing and doubting lies beneath the conscious mind. I take that to mean spiritual beliefs. So you feel that we cannot consciously decide to believe or doubt in God. Thats a hard one for me to understand though. If its not consciously done, do you mean its instinctively done or not done?

Heneni

Miss Independent
I'm interested to see if other Christians share your perspective. I can't comment since I am not Christian but I would be very surprised if the RC's would agree.

Then get the popcorn! The show is about to begin. I saved a seat for you here, next to me....pull up a chair will ya?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Yes I do.

I think this applies to all beliefs.

Alright, some tought questions: What makes a thought unconscious? If we cannot consciously trust god then how do we trust Him then? If we trust him unconsciously then how are we ever sure that we trust him.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Alright, some tought questions: What makes a thought unconscious? If we cannot consciously trust god then how do we trust Him then? If we trust him unconsciously then how are we ever sure that we trust him.
I never mentioned unconscious thought :)

Heneni

Miss Independent
Hi Stephen, so if its not conscious or unconscious thought or instinct then do you believe it is like motor skills or..lol...forgive me stephen, im not sure I follow.

Have to pop out for a bit. Talk to you soon I hope.

Heneni

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
im not sure I follow.
I'm not sure I have it figured out :)
I think we believe that which resonates with our being, I think that which we doubt does not. I think our being is the core of us which marks us out as individuals and I think this core is pre-conscious.
Maybe this is instinct? nI would tend to think of instinct in relation to stimulus-response things rather than states of 'being'