• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the world really 4.5 billion years old

Ceridwen018

Steve said:
Wow it all sounds so simple it also sounds like a fairytale, any evidence that this is even possible?
What an efficient skeptic we suddenly become! My goodness, Steve! Imagine you are a pot, and he is a kettle...

"Oh sure--so the chemicals were catalyzed then? Psh, yeah, right. Everyone knows that the bearded man in the sky snapped his fingers and it happened. Please, keep your mythological science to yourself! Come back when you have some evidence!"

1. Galaxies wind themselves up too fast

2. Comets disintegrate too quickly

3. Not enough mud on the sea floor

4. Not enough sodium in the sea

5. The Earth’s magnetic field is decaying too fast

6. Many strata are too tightly bent

7. Injected sandstone shortens geologic ‘ages’

8. Fossil radioactivity shortens geologic ‘ages’ to a few years

9. Helium in the wrong places

10. Not enough stone age skeletons

11. Agriculture is too recent

12. History is too short
Steve, you make me sad. These are by far the oldest arguments in the book. They have already been presented and debunked countless times on these forums alone, however, I will take this time to attack them once more. I don't know why I'm doing this--its not like you're even going to read my post--but perhaps I just hope that someone somewhere will appreciate it. Let us begin:

1. Galaxies wind themselves up too fast.

Creationist Claim: Stars closer to the center of a spiral galaxy orbit the galaxy faster than stars farther away. Over many millions of years, the difference in orbital rates should wind the spiral tighter and tighter. We do not see any evidence for this in galaxies of different ages. (TO)

Response: Spiral arms are density waves, which, like sound in air, travel through the galaxy's disk, causing a piling-up of stars and gas at the crests of the waves. In some galaxies, the central bulge reflects the wave, giving rise to a giant standing spiral wave with a uniform rotation rate and a lifetime of about one or two billion years.

The causes of the density waves are still not known, but there are many possibilities. Tidal effects from a neighboring galaxy probably cause some of them.

The spiral pattern is energetically favorable. Spiral configurations develop spontaneously in computer simulations based on gravitational dynamics (Carlberg et al. 1999).

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=0008A68A-8C7F-1C72-9EB7809EC588F2D7

2. Comets disintegrate too quickly.

Creationist Claim: Comets lose material as they near the sun. If the solar system were very old, comets would long ago have evaporated. (TO)

Response: The comets that entered the inner solar system a very long time ago indeed have evaporated. However, new comets enter the inner solar system from time to time. The Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt hold many comets deep in space, beyond the orbit of Neptune, where they do not evaporate. Occasionally, gravitational perturbations from other comets bump one of them into a highly elliptical orbit, which causes it to near the sun. (TO)

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~jewitt/kb.html

3. Not enough mud on the sea floor.

Creationist Claim: At current rates of erosion, only thirty million years are needed to account for all the sediments in the ocean. If the earth were as ancient as is claimed, there should be more sediments. (TO)

Response: So will you be changing your "6000 year old Earth" theory to a "30 million year old Earth" theory, then? This statement is quite simply false, and one that I feel confident in answering in my own words. The sediment from the sea floor is what built the continents in many cases--that seems like quite a bit of sediment to me. In the Atlantic ocean, the sediment of the sea floor varies drastically. At the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the sediment is measured as 0, for this is where new sea floor is being constantly generated from beneath the Earth's crust. The thickest sediment huds the continental margins. Generally, the level of sediment increases as one moves away from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge closer to the continents. The amount of sediment contained in the ocean floor is proper in relation to the postulated age of the Earth.

4. Not enough sodium in the sea.

Creationist Claim: Known processes to remove sodium from the oceans account for only 27 percent of the sodium that is added. Given the accumulation of sodium this implies, the oceans could not be more than 62 million years old. (Austin, S. A. and D. R. Humphreys, 1990. The sea's missing salt: A dilemma for evolutionists. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Creationism, Pittsburgh, 2: 17-33. http://tccsa.tc/articles/ocean_sodium.html)

Response: Austin and Humphreys greatly underestimate the amount of sodium lost in the alteration of basalt. They omit sodium lost in the formation of diatomaceous earth, and they omit numerous others mechanisms which are minor individually but collectively account for a significant fraction of salt.

A detailed analysis of sodium shows that 35.6 x 1010 kg/yr come into the ocean, and 38.1 x 1010 kg/yr are removed (Morton 1996). Within measurement error, the amount of sodium added matches the amount removed. ( Morton, Glenn R., 1996. Salt in the sea. http://www.asa3.org/archive/evolution/199606/0051.html)

Steve, I will leave you with that for now, as I do not have the time to continue. However, I will be happy to complete the process of debunking these outlandish creationist claims made by your pseudo-scientific website, AIG, if you still require it.

Deut 13:1

Just something to think about, I'm not really interested in arguing this, but... Adam was created as a 30 year old man according to the Midrash. Isn't it possible that Hashem also created the world as a old Earth as well? :)

Pah

Uber all member
Binyamin said:
Just something to think about, I'm not really interested in arguing this, but... Adam was created as a 30 year old man according to the Midrash. Isn't it possible that Hashem also created the world as a old Earth as well? :)
Of course it is possible. And then God would suffer the thought that he lies to descendents of Adam.

scitsofreaky

Okay. As a matter of interest, what is an integral deist?
After I read the article given by Jawhawker, I realized that I should have put panendeism instead of deism, which I have now fixed. The article seems right enough, although one must realize that we can only make generalizations about deism.

Panendeism is to deism what pantheism is to theism. Panendeists believe that the Universe is a part of "God" (a term I'm starting to not like because of the ideas it provokes). Integral panendeists, in general, believe that God is the One and the Many. The term 'integral' comes from the thought that truth is not found in toto in the empirical world or in contemplative thought, but both.

Ok, back to the show.

Merlin

scitsofreaky said:
After I read the article given by Jawhawker, I realized that I should have put panendeism instead of deism, which I have now fixed. The article seems right enough, although one must realize that we can only make generalizations about deism.

Panendeism is to deism what pantheism is to theism. Panendeists believe that the Universe is a part of "God" (a term I'm starting to not like because of the ideas it provokes). Integral panendeists, in general, believe that God is the One and the Many. The term 'integral' comes from the thought that truth is not found in toto in the empirical world or in contemplative thought, but both.

Ok, back to the show.
Does that mean you are a semantic gymnast. i.e someone who loves to string words together with opposite meanings to create a sentence that has the appearance of 'deep philosophical thought'.

fathom the unfathomable; think the unthinkable; move the immovable; etc

greatcalgarian

Pah said:
Of course it is possible. And then God would suffer the thought that he lies to descendents of Adam.
Did not know God can lie
Did not know God can suffer

Do not compute, do not compute, please re-program your brain.

scitsofreaky

Does that mean you are a semantic gymnast. i.e someone who loves to string words together with opposite meanings to create a sentence that has the appearance of 'deep philosophical thought'.

fathom the unfathomable; think the unthinkable; move the immovable; etc
Hmm, I'm not sure what you are saying, so let me twist the words into an easily answered question ;)
Just kidding. "[F]athom the unfathomable" etc is impossible, ortherwise it wouldn't be "un-" whatever. Oh wait, am I doing some semantic gymnastics here? I am not out to have people think I'm some great thinker and linguist because I am not. I see no reason to waste my time or anyone else's time just "stringing words together with opposite meanings."

Determination of the earths years in existance is in a tetor totter with our ever-developing technology, so of course...only able to carbon date not even to the bottom of the ocean, it is assumed that the earth is definately older than what our current evidence presumes.(4.5 billion years)

Whitsuntide

Scitso-
You seem to have a good grasp of the theisms and deisms.
How about the idea that God created the Universe with the appearance of age, and he did this for a "spiritual" reason.
I'm seriously asking the question - is this in a doctrine somewhere?

scitsofreaky

I am not aware of any spiritual reason for creating an old earth. As far as I am aware this idea only came up when people needed to justify or rectify their beliefs with scientific finds.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lovejacketscotty said:
Determination of the earths years in existance is in a tetor totter with our ever-developing technology, so of course...only able to carbon date not even to the bottom of the ocean, it is assumed that the earth is definately older than what our current evidence presumes.(4.5 billion years)
Hi lovejacketscotty (wow that is a mouthful :D );

Welcome to the forum; as I see this is your first post, you might like to post on:-
Are you new to ReligiousForums.com? , to introduce yourself to the other members.

As concerns the age of the world, I agree that it must be around the 4.5 billion mark - at that sort of figure, who is going to argue about the odd million years, here and there ?

Scitso-
How about the idea that God created the Universe with the appearance of age, and he did this for a "spiritual" reason.
Answering from my point of view, I have never heard of such a doctrine; as far as I know, the Church stands firm on the Biblical dating of the Earth, which to my way of thinking, is a shame.;)

Whitsuntide

Here I go again...I'm going to make this point if it kills me...
You have to admit that it is possible the universe was created with the appearance of age.
The spiritual reason would be to frustrate our understanding, which has far greater spiritual value than knowing for sure the exact age of the earth.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Whitsuntide said:
You have to admit that it is possible the universe was created with the appearance of age.
The spiritual reason would be to frustrate our understanding, which has far greater spiritual value than knowing for sure the exact age of the earth.
A theory, and yes, one I don't see why you should not believe that if it makes you feel 'happier' in your understanding.

That's the thing about Religion, it is very personal.;)

Merlin

Whitsuntide said:
Scitso-
Good thought, can you think of why God would want to frustrate our understanding of the age of the Earth?

If God has no concept of time, it would be just as easy for Him to create it 4 billion years ago, put the coffee and bacon on the heavenly stove, and wait.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whitsuntide said:
Let me see if I'm following this...
God deliberately creates a confusing, unknowable universe; full of contradictions, trompe l'oeil, and intellectual illusions in order to dissuade us from trying to make sense of it, so that we will cease questioning and simply accept the world as it is, magically created and without mechanism?

My cats do exactly this. They question nothing. They live in blissful ignorance.

Are they, thus, the paragon of animals, god's chosen people? Are you suggesting we should emulate the four-legged folk and turn off our minds?