• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the US Debt this decade's "Terrorism"?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Let's go back in time ten years. George W. Bush--remember that guy? Yeah, him. He had only been in office for about half a year after "winning" the most controversial US presidential election in history. But after all those fireworks, he really didn't do much: In fact, up through September 10, 2001, it seemed as if his presidency might well become much ado about nothing. How to control the masses? How to get them to do whatever he wanted? I think we all know the answer to that one. Bush was able to get away with starting two wars, trashing the Constitution, skirting every environmental regulation known to man, skyrocketing the deficit, cutting taxes for the rich, creating the housing bubble, building the military-industrial complex to unprecedented sizes, and destroying our reputation around the globe. How? He kept us preoccupied with terrorism.

To Bush and the rest of the neocons, terrorism was the greatest evil on the planet. You hated terrorists and wanted to bomb the hell out of them, you were good. You were against that, you were bad. It was a cut-and-dry, absolute, no-questions-asked mindset. Terrorism = bad, "patriotism" = good. Violence against women, poverty, global warming--none of that stuff really mattered. That, in my opinion, was the real problem: Distracting Americans from the real problems of the day. See, that was the catch. Yeah terrorism was bad, but how come it suddenly started mattering on September 11, 2001? Was not terrorism alive and well at least a decade prior? In case anyone forgot, we had already been hit by TWO large-scale terrorist attacks: The World Trade Center bombing, and the Oklahoma City bombing. But that's just the thing: As bad as they were, if we include 9/11, we're only talking three incidents. Three awful incidents, yes, but statistically speaking, their combined danger was far, far lesser than day-to-day threats. But too many people were scared of terrorism to figure that out.

Flash forward to today. We are dealing with a problem that shares many parallels with terrorism: It is a real danger, but its short-term risks are often grossly exaggerated. To even suggest that this problem should not be attacked without mercy or prejudice is to risk being tarred and feathered in some circles. And as always, when fear rules the day, any proposed solutions to the alleged problem usually target poor people. That alleged problem is the US debt. Just like terrorism back in the early 2000s, the debt seems to be the "problem" that conservatives in the 2010s will not let go. And like with terrorism, they will not let facts get in their way, choosing instead to distort, exaggerate, and in some cases outright ignore the truth.

There is one major difference between terrorism and the debt, though: Unlike terrorism, which in part started abroad--we had some domestic terrorists here, too--the debt is a creation entirely of our own. While Clinton and the Republican Congress were finally able to tame the Reagan deficits back in the 90s, Bush and the Republican Congress skyrocketed them. Then Obama and the Democratic Congress inherited them. But this raises a key question, a question I have asked conservatives several times, a question that no conservative has ever given me a straight answer to: Why did the US debt suddenly become a huge problem on January 20, 2009? I mean really. The Tea Party, which oh-so-loves to hate Obama, was completely AWOL when Bush destroyed the Clinton surplus and instituted a deficit. The Tea Party didn't blink an eyelash when Bush exploded the size of government. And now all of a sudden they're p***** off? Puh-lease. The debt is a smokescreen, nothing more. You think there would be this much hoopla over the debt if we had a white president? You don't think this has anything to do with it? I do. In fact, I think that's the real source of their problem. Just as it was with terrorism. After all, would we have hated Iraqis and Saudis so much if they had just been white, heterosexual, American, conservative Christians?

A

angellous_evangellous

The only thing worse than a Republican terrorist is a Democrat trying to protect me.
The effect of each is pretty much the same.

Would you rather your children die in a needless war or from lack of healthcare?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
An interesting theory. I've often asked Republican/Tea-Party types why they weren't vocal until Obama stepped in office when it was Bush that was skyrocketing our debt. The answer is usually some variation of: Oh yeah, we were ****** off then too. But they usually evade the follow-up question of why they didn't do anything then.

I do disagree though that this has anything to do with Obama being black. It has much more to do with him being a democrat. If McCain had won, we probably wouldn't be hearing a peep about it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All of this is out of proportion. The only real threat is the government's inability to look at the facts and come to a deal. A lack of information among voters isn't helping.

The debt as a percentage of GDP, and the interest we're paying on our debt as a percentage of our spending, are entirely manageable if we were to actually manage it. We have among the lowest tax burden in contemporary US history, and among the lowest taxes in the developed world, and yet the majority party is refusing to bring in more revenue.

We can raise revenue and manage spending, and have a better country. Or, we can keep revenue low and severely cut spending on seniors, handicapped, those seeking education, and science, and have a country that is probably be less educated, less scientifically progressive, less socially progressive, and encounter a continue condensation of wealth. Or, worse than both of those, we can keep revenue low, keep spending fairly high, and let the debt explode over a decade or so until it's not manageable anymore. Or, refuse to come to a deal, let credit rating agencies ruin our credit rating and lead us to have a worse debt problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I question whether our tax burden is really so low. When all taxes are added together (eg, fed income tax, fed alternative minimum tax,
state income tax, city income tax, corporate tax, real property tax, inventory tax, personal property tax, self-employment tax, state business
tax, payroll taxes, unemployment tax, sales tax, use tax, real estate transfer tax), how does the burden compare with total taxes elsewhere?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I question whether our tax burden is really so low. When all taxes are added together (eg, fed income tax, fed alternative minimum tax,
state income tax, city income tax, corporate tax, real property tax, inventory tax, personal property tax, self-employment tax, state business
tax, payroll taxes, unemployment tax, sales tax, use tax, real estate transfer tax), how does the burden compare with total taxes elsewhere?
A good source for international tax statistics:
OECD Tax Database