• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the universe infinite or finite?

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
Green Man said:
I just found a site today proving the universe is infinite.Go to superstringtheory.com/cosmo/ and read What is the structure of the universe?
I am having trouble finding this proof. Please explain.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
As a good scientist you should regard the physical world around you as data. All of physics is based on quantitative analysis. We measure things and put the numbers we measure into formulas and equations.

Matter has many different properties that we can measure, such as mass, charge, momentum, time and position. However, the values we assign these properties have no meaning except compared to the value we assign the properties of some other object. Numbers are necessarily relational. We can say something has a mass of 7, 115, or 1449. It really doesn't matter what we pick as long as it has the proper relationship to the number we assign to other masses. For example, if we say it is half the mass of something that with a mass of 14, then we ought to describe it as having a mass of 7. Our metric system is based on this principle. One gram is described as the mass of a centimeter cube of water. So we assign numbers to the mass of objects based on how the mass compares to the mass of this cube of water.

Position is the same thing. We measure distance using numeric values. But distance only carries a meaning when comparing multiple relational objects. With a singularity, any value we assign to position is meaningless unless we have another data point to compare it to.

Ok, so you may be saying that this is all fine and good, but we can sense the space around us as something very real. We are not just observing some abstract property in objects called "position".

We receive information about the physical world through our senses. There is an incredible amount of data from the outside world assimulated in our minds. One of the functions of our mind is to allow us to efficiently interpret our environment. This is the purpose of our spacial awareness. The differences in position between objects is rendered in our minds as space. This can be thought of in the same way as to how our mind renders ideas from another person's voice we hear. When someone nearby says "elephant" the concept of an elephant pops into our head, even though there is not really any elephant around. Our spacial awareness creates space as a method for us to understand the property of position in physical objects.

One way to think about this is from the movie the Matrix. People in the matrix could perceive space even though their "space" was entirely contained in a computer somewhere. A computer fed data into their brain, and their mind took this data and constructed a spacial awareness so that the person could navigate through the matrix. (It doesn't make sense to ask what is beyond the edge of all objects contained in the matrix.)

Another way to think about it is to try and conceive a world with 6-dimensions of space. What would it be like to fly around in such a world, where you could not only change your pitch, yaw and roll, but you had three other axis of rotation as well? Obviously we cannot picture such a world, even though it is certainly possible from a mathematical perspective. This is because the spacial awareness in our minds is designed specifically for three dimensions of space, not six.

Space is a construct in our mind used to allow us to efficiently perceive the position of objects relative to each other. It is not something which is an external entity unto itself.

linwood

Space is a construct in our mind used to allow us to efficiently perceive the position of objects relative to each other. It is not something which is an external entity unto itself.

I think you should clarify that Andy.
Are you speaking of mathematical models or are you speaking or "reality"?

The thread No*s mentioned about Spinks stating space is boundless is the misconceptions thread we first met in.
I don`t think he gave reference.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
linwood said:

I think you should clarify that Andy.
Are you speaking of mathematical models or are you speaking or "reality"?

Hi Linwood! Our favorite topic ... :)

I am talking about our awareness of space, which is associated with, or perhaps the inspiration for, the mathematical model of space that we have in physics. I am not talking about the "reality" of space, as I do not believe space has any ontological basis.

If we perceive the physical world as "data", then there is no data associated with space that cannot be derived from the properties of the objects in it.

linwood said:
The thread No*s mentioned about Spinks stating space is boundless is the misconceptions thread we first met in.
I don`t think he gave reference.
Ah, ok.

linwood

If we perceive the physical world as "data", then there is no data associated with space that cannot be derived from the properties of the objects in it.

I must agree with this and yet, there it is isn`t it?

:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
atofel said:
Do you remember the name of this thread?

I believe it was the "Misconceptions about the Big Bang." I'm still inclined towards a finite universe though, despite that I'm not qualified to say one way or the other :).

EDIT:

I see linwood has already pointed it out now :p.

t3gah

Green Man said:
Personally,I think the universe is infinite.All observations thus far reveal either a very,very large(greater than 70 billion light years) or infinite universe.Matter throughout the universe appears to be evenly distributed for as far as our instruments can detect(10 billion light years).The universe is also expanding.Something to be expected in an infinite universe.If the universe were finite,there would be no where to expand to.
I say it's infinite because humans can't see far enough to say there can be a finite end to it. Also man has discovered that the Universe is still expanding as you also have stated and since no one on earth will ever live long enough to the finish of the "big bang", or "creation" if that is their viewpoint, it will be one of those "mysteries of the universe" for each individual until the day they die. Unless of course they care not where or when or why, etc. But thanks for the thought. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I believe the universe to be infinite; God is infinite, and we silly little humans try too hard sometimes to understand things that our minds have not the capacity to conceive. But, hey, that's only my opinion!!:)

Green Man

Lightkeeper said:
Wouldn't the "edge" of the Universe suggest that there is someting on the other side? I've heard scientists talk about the "edge" of the Universe, but no one has found it. I think the Universe is infinite.

When scientists talk about the edge of the universe,they are referring to the observable edge.Our instruments can "see" about 10 billion light years.But we know the universe extends much further than that.

Green Man

linwood said:
What is space?Science discovered during the last century that space is not merely an empty void,but can be warped and stretched and even torn.Space even puts out a low level form of energy never seen before.All data gathered seems to suggest that space may have mass and weight of it's own.While nothing in space can exceed the speed of light,space itself can.

Can you reference physical evidence for this ?
Space has no properties as far as I know.

If space and distance have no existance beyond this edge,then what does?

Nothing.
Atofel is referencing Einsteins theory of relativity.
o spac Eistein has said that there is ne until matter occupies it.
Fortunately for Einstien this can never be observed as valid or not considering the fact that there will always be space where any observer is under his theory.

Kinda cute how that works huh?

I personally think Einstein should have spent less time at his equations and more out in the world.

I don't know how to post links,but I did write it down.www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=4250This should answer your questions as to the nature of space as it is currently understood.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
After futher consideration, I would like to argue with myself... :areyoucra

atofel said:
I am not talking about the "reality" of space, as I do not believe space has any ontological basis.

There is an ontological basis for space and time, but it is representative of the dynamics or relationship of matter. Space and time are real in the same sense that the laws of physics are real. They all have to do with the interactions and mechanics of matter. We should not consider space to be a massive volume as our mind represents it, but rather as a mechanism for moving matter.