• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Greatest Freedom the Freedom to Hate?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Well other countries with less freedom for hate speech and public insults do seem to have less conflict and less problems overall.
Agreed for hate speech, but not for public insults.

The inability to insult hampers education, and how can you judge an uninformed society as better overall other than from that ignorance they make choices which promote your selfish religious pursuits as they remain unaware of the consequences.

In my opinion.

Shadow Link

The greatest freedom is always freedom from the government.

People will always confuse Law with Policy. Policy generates revenue. “Law” is only truly broken if there is a victim – not the potentiality of one.

Shakeel

The inability to insult hampers education, and how can you judge an uninformed society as better overall other than from that ignorance they make choices which promote your selfish religious pursuits as they remain unaware of the consequences.
I don't understand this, but I'm thinking of some European countries for example. I said they have less problems overall. I do think they're better too, but that wasn't my point.

I don't know how, for instance, a president's or a minister's ability to publicly insult another public figure and be praised for it in any way benefits education.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
In the US, you are free to Hate Allah/God.
Your are free to hate the President or any other politician.
You are free to hate people of other races.
You are free to hate your neighbor.
You are free to hate your family.

This is not true in all countries. Should the freedom to hate be protected?

Allowing hatred to fester in one’s mind is allowing oneself to be miserable and live miserably. It is a choice and I am not aware of any nation that by law forbids a citizen from choosing it.

Hatred makes one act miserably in most aspects of one’s life; that too is unlikely to be illegal in many places in the world.

What is illegal in civilised society however, is converting one’s hatred into direct action through discrimination, slander, hate-speech, hate-crime, terrorism, etc. And this is to do with the fact that such acts threaten the freedoms, rights and safety of other citizens - because freedoms are not just for some.

The quick solution to the feelings you list in your OP is available not only in the US. Many nations will allow one to:
be an atheist
vote for the politics one likes
Move to a forest
Get a divorce or/and disown the rest of one’s family

Basically: “you” are free to hate as much as “you” fancy, so long as “your” hatred only makes “you” miserable and not “your” fellow citizens too. “Your” fellow citizens on the other hand, are free to choose not to care about “your” self-inflicted misery and leave “you” to live a lonely existence in hatred.

Though I would say that to choose to not try to free oneself from the chains of one’s own hatred is a pity, because life in chains is very hard.

Humbly
Hermit

danieldemol

Premium Member
I don't understand this, but I'm thinking of some European countries for example. I said they have less problems overall. I do think they're better too, but that wasn't my point.

I don't know how, for instance, a president's or a minister's ability to publicly insult another public figure and be praised for it in any way benefits education.
Are you familiar with Galileo's dialogue concerning the two chief world systems?

In it he places the conservative arguments for the Ptolemaic system in the mouth of Simplicio who is modeled on two contemporary conservative philosophers, Lodovico delle Colombe (1565–1616?), Galileo's opponent, and Cesare Cremonini (1550–1631), a Paduan colleague who had refused to look through the telescope.[9]

Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems - Wikipedia

In my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the US, you are free to Hate Allah/God.
Your are free to hate the President or any other politician.
You are free to hate people of other races.
You are free to hate your neighbor.
You are free to hate your family.

This is not true in all countries. Should the freedom to hate be protected?
Hate is a wonderful freedom.
But with great freedom comes great responsibility.
Hate thoughtfully, flexibly, & with tolerance.