• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the biblical story of Noah’s Flood a true account?

may

I have based my calculation on the Jewish calendar, particular the Jewish Era. So today (year 2007), the Jewish Era would be the year 5767; in our time of 2000, it would be the year 5760 of the Jewish Era. This Jewish Era indicated that the Creation of the World and the Creation of Adam was 5767 years ago, ie 3767 BCE.

From the Jewish Era, I can work out when each patriarch was born and died, from Adam to Jacob, using the Genesis. That's how I calculated the timeline of the patriarchs, which you can find on my website Dark Mirrors of Heaven.

This how I calculated when the Flood happened, 2104 BCE, which is 1656 years after Adam's creation (Jewish Era or JE). Noah himself was born 1056 years after Adam's Creation (JE), thus he was born on 2704 BC. Since Noah was 502 when Shem was born (thus 1558 Jewish Era or 2202 BCE), 2 years after God's warning and instruction on building the Ark. Thus Shem was 98 at the time of Flood and 2 years later Arpachshad was born. So if Shem lived another 500 years as stated in 11:11, then his death would happen 2158 year in the Jewish calendar, ie 1602 BCE.

My calculation of Jacob's birth put him in 2108 Jewish Era, which is 1652 BCE, thus Shem's death happened after 50 years after Jacob's birth.

It stated that Sarah was 10 years younger than Abraham (born in 1948 JE or 1812 BCe), so she would have to born on 1958 JE or 1802 BCE. So if she died at age 127, it would be then 2085 JE or 1675 BCE, which is 23 years before Jacob was born.

Leaving out the BCE or JE (Jewish Era) for the moment, I think you did some miscalculation between Shem's birth to Jacob's birth.

you say that Noah was born 2704 B.C the birth of Noah was
2970 B.C.E. Gen. 5:28, 29. Lamech his father was in his 182nd year when Noah was born.
3152 B.C.E. Birth of Lamech Gen. 5:25
3339 B.C.E. Birth of Methuselah Gen. 5:21
3404 B.C.E. Birth of righteous Enoch Gen. 5:18
3896 B.C.E. Birth of Seth Gen. 5:3
4026 B.C.E. Adam’s creation Gen. 2:7
Dates mark the time at which events occur. The Bible expresses dates in relation to the lifetime of individuals, the period during which certain rulers were in office, or other notable events. It contains the only complete chronology reaching back to the time of Adam’s creation. Bible chronology also pinpointed in advance the time when certain important events in the fulfillment of God’s purpose would take place. The Gregorian calendar, which is now popular in much of the world, did not come into use until 1582. In secular sources there is disagreement on dates given for events in ancient history. However, certain key dates, such as 539 B.C.E. for the fall of Babylon, and hence 537 B.C.E. for the Jews’ return from captivity, are well established. (Ezra 1:1-3) Using such dates as starting points, it is possible to express in terms of current calendars the dates for ancient Biblical events.
1881 B.C.E. Death of Sarah Gen. 17:17; 23:1
2018 B.C.E. Birth of Abraham Gen. 11:26, 32; 12:4

may

Heathen
You shall burn in the fires of hell for those words you speak.
I pray you repent and see the error of your ways.
there are no fires of hell , the bible does not teach that , have you been misled by religious teachers that do not have accurate bible knowledge .?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Noah's story is much older then people pretend it to be, as in the Bible doesn't actually give a time line and as people have this crazy notion of 7000 years and then that is it.
Perhaps a look at the scientifically data involved helps, as in every twenty thousand years the sun flips on it is axis, there are recorded event of this occurring throughout our history if we look, as in the sediment shows this occurrence over the earths history.
The Mayans predicted the next is soon, and the sun may just flip to renew its self in 2012.
The north pole has moved each time and use to be in Canada, Green-land and many other places from what I remember in the pole shift books I looked through.
Next is the actual story of Noah, it doesn’t belong to the Jewish or Hebrew peoples it is a much older story, taken from the Egyptian achieves that Moses was taught. The fact that most of the names tally as in Seth is an Egyptian name and as are many other name references, gives me the impression Moses recorded what he had been taught at school.
Which would then imply why it sounds like a fairy tale; when parts like Adam and eve can also be looked at in terms of atomic and quantum science.
As in Atum, atom needs the breath of life which animates it at a quantum level, eve means breath also, and so Atoms corrupt peoples, as Atoms can also turn into cancer etc
Anyways going off track a little, just to a make it clear that the stories in Genesis are related and passed down through generation to generation.
Ancient Hebrew is Egyptian and I can understand much of the Egyptian hieroglyphics, through the Ancient Hebrew web sites Alphabet chart.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
That is repeated from a pole shift book, if it doesn't add up; we will have ask the scientist who write such things or make our own research.....
Yet why do you feel that doesn’t add up? As that to me, can be easily calculated to the time of Noah....

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Wizanda said:
Next is the actual story of Noah, it doesn’t belong to the Jewish or Hebrew peoples it is a much older story, taken from the Egyptian achieves that Moses was taught. The fact that most of the names tally as in Seth is an Egyptian name and as are many other name references, gives me the impression Moses recorded what he had been taught at school.

Problem is, Genesis, as we have it, was written in the 500's B.C.E., during the Exile, although the stories it contains are much older. Moses didn't write the flood story. The flood myth is ubiquitous in many ancient cultures, Assyrian included.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The tale seems to be an unrealistic attempt to “shock and awe” with the power of a favorite super-human being. Conditions as described seem impossible, yet the tale is often presented and defended as being true.

If the flood account is exaggerated or merely a moralistic tale, it casts doubt upon all aspects of the literature of which it is part. If one or more parts of the text are not true, what parts (if any) are true? How can anyone distinguish with certainty the true from the false?

I didn't read all of the responses but I have always compared it to a great tale....you know....like the Epic of Gilgamesh...!!!!

Very similar stories.

Can some one tell me which one of these stories is the oldest? I'm not sure. Some people believe the epic accounts are older than The flood story told in the bible.

Here's a comparison I found;

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/FONT]http://www.religioustolerance.org/noah_com.htm

http://www.come-and-hear.com/supplement/icr/index.html

Tell me what you think.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
maybe i should have said false religion.

What exactly do you think constitutes "false" religion? They pray, they hold beliefs, they have rituals, holy writings, and ascribe to deities or spiritual powers. What's the false part?

gnostic

The Lost One
May said:
The Gregorian calendar, which is now popular in much of the world, did not come into use until 1582.
I know very well that the Gregorian calendar didn't exist, May. I wasn't even using the Gregorian calendar.

If you have visited my webpage on Timeline of the Patriarchs, then you would have noticed that I have used the Jewish Era, which uses the Jewish calendar, to calculate events that happened.

The Jewish Era for this current date/year (2007 CE) is 5767 (or 5768 in Sept 13, ie Jewish New Year). So in Gregorian Year 2000, the Jewish Era is 5760/61.

May said:
4026 B.C.E. Adam’s creation Gen. 2:7

Your calculation would mean that the Creation happened 6033 years ago.

My calculation, however, would mean Adam's Creation happened in 5767 years ago (from today), thus 3760 BCE.

Adam died in 2386 BCE (at 930).

Since the date for the flood, seemed to happen 1656 years after Adam's creation that would be 2104 BCE. If we use your dating, that Adam was created in 4026 BCE, then the Flood would happen in 2370 BCE.

(NOTE

Do you calculate the number of years between creation and Flood to be 1656 years interval? Or did you get a different figure for that too?

If it is different to my calculation then I would have to recalculate your dating for the flood.)

This is not a good time for the Flood too, because it would be smack in the middle of the reign of Uruinimgina in Lagash (before that of Sargon the Great of Agade came into power). And in Egypt, the 5th Dynasty (c. 2465 – c. 2325 BC, Old Kingdom dynasty). Much smaller pyramids were built for this dynasty.

There are also no broken civilisations in either Egypt or Sumer/Mesopotamia at this point of time, by any great Flood as reported in the Genesis. If the everyone died except for Noah and his family from Genesis' Flood in your 2370 BCE, then the 5th dynasty in Egypt would have been broken.

Neither your dating or mine for that matter, seemed to be a good time for the biblical Flood.

The other problem with your dating is that of the Exodus. Your dating would place Moses' Exodus out of Egypt smack right in the middle of the 18th Dynasty of the New Kingdom, when Canaan, the Sinai peninsula, Edomite/Moabite kingdoms were all in the hand of Egypt's ruler. The Exodus make absolute no mention of any encounter with Egyptian garrison or army patrol in any of Moses' route. Egypt didn't lose control of Canaan until the late 19th dynasty and again in the early 20th dynasty. Your dating is far too early for Moses' time.

How do you account for that, May?

may

What exactly do you think constitutes "false" religion? They pray, they hold beliefs, they have rituals, holy writings, and ascribe to deities or spiritual powers. What's the false part?
not according to accurate knowledge.

may

(NOTE

Do you calculate the number of years between creation and Flood to be 1656 years interval? Or did you get a different figure for that too?
Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E Flood happened in 2370 B.C.Ein november

may

The other problem with your dating is that of the Exodus. Your dating would place Moses' Exodus out of Egypt smack right in the middle of the 18th Dynasty of the New Kingdom, when Canaan, the Sinai peninsula, Edomite/Moabite kingdoms were all in the hand of Egypt's ruler. The Exodus make absolute no mention of any encounter with Egyptian garrison or army patrol in any of Moses' route. Egypt didn't lose control of Canaan until the late 19th dynasty and again in the early 20th dynasty. Your dating is far too early for Moses' time.
the Exodus of Egypt was 1513 B.C .E.

gnostic

The Lost One
May said:
Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E Flood happened in 2370 B.C.E in november
Ok. So we have in common with the "1656-year" interval. Just not when it all began.

May said:
the Exodus of Egypt was 1513 B.C .E.
As I have said, 18th dynasty of Egypt had control over the whole region at this time - Canaan, Sinai, Moab, Edom, Syria etc.

Also Joshua would have invaded Canaan, shortly after 1473 BCE. This would have been in the reign of Hatshepsut (1479-1458 BC) and her stepson Thutmose III (1479–1426 BC), and Egypt was at one of its peaks in its empire. Joshua couldn't not have taken Egypt at this time. Thutmose was one of Egypt's greatest empire-builders.

Egyot and the Mitanni (in Syria) were fighting over the control of Canaan/Palestine at this time. Thutmose III had succeeded in forcing the Mitanni empire to surrender to him. Do you seriously think he would have not easily crush Joshua and taken back Canaan?

Egypt briefly lost control of Canaan during and after Amenhotep IV or Akhenaton (1353–1336 BC), but Seti I (1290–79 BC) and Ramses II (1279–1213 BC) won back Canaan.

If you believe that Exodus happened around this time (1513), then the Israelites' twelve tribes would have being serving as province for Egypt in Joshua's time. Again, I will say that your dating is far too early for the Exodus and Joshua's invasion of Canaan to happen because of other events outside of the Biblical events.