• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Sola Scriptura pagan?

Cooky

Veteran Member
It seems to me that "religious texts" have been followed by all sorts of polytheistic and other pagan religions for thousands and thousands of years.

...So why do Protestants act like traditions such as Easter and Christmas are evil pagan traditions when following religious texts is also following in the footsteps of pagan traditions?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Indigenous religions were mostly oral traditions. Furthermore, when they were put to scripts after writing was developed, it wasn't treated in a dogmatic fashion. Where did you get the idea that following texts is Pagan?

Ellen Brown

I'm silent about Ramadan. People may do as they wish. Last Christmas I did not do the pagan tree. Recently, I got a letter from the JW in which they wanted to celebrate the death of Jesus Christ. I didn't read any further. Since when do you celebrate a murder?

With the bloom of my distaste for religious authority, I question everything to see if it is so. Perhaps it is like Bereans to the 4th power?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Indigenous religions were mostly oral traditions. Furthermore, when they were put to scripts after writing was developed, it wasn't treated in a dogmatic fashion. Where did you get the idea that following texts is Pagan?

Yes mostly. But according to the Wikipedia aeticle, scriptures existed in other religions prior to Christianity... And Christianity was originally not a religion "of the book", because there was no bible.

So it seems to me, that Protestants who want to base their faith solely off of Scripture are copying off other religions -that's why Protestants always cite scripture and Catholics tend to stick to the Traditions instead.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The Catholic Church itself is just a bunch of pagan practices cobbled together in a hackneyed fashion.

So are Protestants pagans, for acting like scripture is all that matters. That's not an original Christian trait... It's a copy off of Islam and other religions.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The Catholic Church itself is just a bunch of pagan practices cobbled together in a hackneyed fashion.
well...probably...:)
btw we Catholics find some Protestant concepts really absurd...
like predestination, to mention one
as for sola scriptura, well....I've never been taught the Bible was that essential...

Cooky

Veteran Member
it wasn't treated in a dogmatic fashion.

To me, dogma means the equivalent of Jesus Christ's hand signature.

...But you have to understand, it's our Tradition to believe that Jesus is leading us both as the founder of the Church and as God Himself.

It feels really good to know that you can't go wrong theologically. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

shmogie

It seems to me that "religious texts" have been followed by all sorts of polytheistic and other pagan religions for thousands and thousands of years.

...So why do Protestants act like traditions such as Easter and Christmas are evil pagan traditions when following religious texts is also following in the footsteps of pagan traditions?
Would you prefer following DVD´s ?

Most Protestants keep Christmas and Easter, I can imagine where you got your information.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I mean, if you really think about it, in Christianity, It's either:
  1. You follow the Church that Jesus Christ Himself founded.
Or
  1. You follow the scriptures written by the Apostles, who were men.
<EDIT >
(Really, those were supposed to be numbers 1 and 2. ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

shmogie

I mean, if you really think about it, in Christianity, It's either:
  1. You follow the Church that Jesus Christ Himself founded.
Or
  1. You follow the scriptures written by the Apostles, who were men.
<EDIT >
(Really, those were supposed to be numbers 1 and 2. ;))
The Church that Jesus Christ founded had only 12 members initially, the Apostles. They were men, but they also were empowered by by God to both evangelize the world, and document the both the ministry of Christ, and the way of life and conduct for Christians.

Because they were given authority by Christ, and inspiration by the Spirit, their written word is infallible, error free, and is as if Christ were speaking.

Jumi

Is it pagan? Most "pagans" didn't even have scriptures like the book religions.

Ellen Brown

The Church that Jesus Christ founded had only 12 members initially, the Apostles. They were men, but they also were empowered by by God to both evangelize the world, and document the both the ministry of Christ, and the way of life and conduct for Christians.

Because they were given authority by Christ, and inspiration by the Spirit, their written word is infallible, error free, and is as if Christ were speaking.

Someday I hope that I can laugh about what the Christian Church is. Right now I ...

whirlingmerc

Protestants would claim the Bible actually is God's word... so ... no... not pagan

But you are asserting is it not God's word and if it was not God's word then it is a problem... I however am convinced it is.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The first of official christian churches who borrowed wholesale from pagan tradition to attract pagan converts so they could say "join our club and you wont need to give up your solstice celebrations.

Other churches followed like sheep