• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Richard Dawkins a Pantheist?

Warren Clark

Informer
Assuming he doesn't consider energy to be God (and I'd bet good money that he doesn't), no, Richard Dawkins is not a pantheist.

Pantheism uses the word "God" interchangably like Dawkins does with other words.
Infact he noted on someone using faith interchangably with reason.
As in probability. As in "I have faith that the chair will support my weight".

Many Pantheists do not generally believe that the universe or energy or anything at all is planned or created or anything to do with supernatural forces.
Everything is just as science says it is.
Pantheists just recognize the connection human beings have to the earth.
They celebrate their privalege of consciousness and being.

no-body

People like Dawkins are extremely pedantic about semantics, to the point of obnoxiousness. Not necessarily just atheist/agnostics but a certain type of snobbish intellectual. People who are into a more fluid new age thoughts use words as a subjective guide posts that can mean many different things and is ever evolving, because anything we give meaning to really doesn't mean anything at all objectively.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Pantheists are just atheists who refuse to give up the word "God".

Dawkins seems to be fine without having to label everything he sees "God".

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Pantheists are just atheists who refuse to give up the word "God".

Dawkins seems to be fine without having to label everything he sees "God".
Pantheist are people who think reality created itself. The word God means nothing to a pantheist. In fact most pantheist don't use the word god.

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I would tend to view Dawkins as "Panmonist." People like to toss the word "God" around willy-nilly, but the truth of the matter is that the concept of "God" has become quite deluded and ambiguous, thanks in large-part to the religious views of the world. Wht is "God?" How would you define it?

Pantheist are people who think reality created itself. The word God means nothing to a pantheist. In fact most pantheist don't use the word god.
Also, very well put.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Because one of the definitions of god is creator of the universe. Pantheist think the universe created itself therefore in that one aspect it is a god.
Is it really worth attaching such a "powerful" word just because it satisfies one of the requirements for use of the word?

Warren Clark

Informer
Is it really worth attaching such a "powerful" word just because it satisfies one of the requirements for use of the word?

My sentiments exactly.

The only problem is the conservative need for the word "God".
Occording to the far right, with out God is to be with out reason.
Its a common misperception by the conservatives.
I believe by calling the universe "God", it gives room for the conservatives to relax.

My first appraoch was to call God "It".
God is often referred to He giving personification.
It throws people off when you call God "it".

Next step is to remove the word God all together.
Baby Steps. :)

Twig pentagram

High Priest
God is just a title. However one uses the word determines the power it holds to them. Personally, I don't think the word has much power at all.