• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Richard Dawkins a good scientist?

work in progress

Murder is not actually bad without God it is simply not preferred.
No; everyone aside from psychopaths feels an involuntary aversion many moral perversions, and murder would be one that is a universal taboo. The problem is that revulsion of murder varies with how separate the victim is from us and our society. Historically, murder is always a crime within the tribe, and then within the nation; but the problem comes in trying to apply "thou shalt not murder" as a universal value. Even Judaism, which places that in the Law handed down to Moses, creates a whole set of rules and circumstances in the Torah where murder is justified, and even in a few circumstances - commanded by God! And refusal to carry out the murder of enemies of God is a sin! Turning the whole argument that the right religion will prevent murder completely upside down. If there are any circumstances where foreign enemies or offenders of God's Law can be murdered, then the argument falls flat!

In our world we need justification for stopping Hitler's and Stalin's. Religion provides the only foundation that meets that need.
Religion...or more accurately, the right kind of religious teaching and practice, could lead the way to true universal values that inspire people to oppose tyranny, but there may be non-religious methods of achieving the same goals. So far, the problem with secular morality is that it is a mile wide and an inch deep! Many secular humanists may believe the right things about universal brotherhood, but do nothing to alleviate the suffering of others or push back against tyranny because merely having the correct set of beliefs does not do much to change the way people act or conduct themselves in their everyday lives. There does seem to be some type of practice or ritual necessary that makes personal demands and requires some level of regular commitment before people change the way they act. A lot of the problem with humanism is that it is enthralled with reason, logic and other manifestations of higher order thinking, when most of the way we act come from an unconscious level of mental processing that only changes through developing new routines and repeating them over and over again until they become deeply engrained.

It is truly refreshing to debate someone who understands the issues. However society desperately needs a moral system that can't be found without God so what would you do?
Like I said before, I believe that this world and the entire human race is imperiled and facing extinction, likely not that long after we are dead and gone. Any group or any advocate who is trying to get people to focus beyond their immediate needs and gratifications, and consider doing what is necessary to preserve this world for future generations is okay by me, from whatever direction they are coming from. I have spent my life doing what most middle class people do and try to achieve, and most everyday people I talk to, start shutting down as soon as they consider that saving the future might mean making significant sacrifices here and now. Is capitalism a non-starter, or parting with our love affair with the automobile, if they are sowing the seeds of destruction? Because, from what I have learned about the way our economic system works, and the energy, quantity of resources, and the infrastructure necessary to maintain "happy motoring" is a major root cause of the present predicament. But, where I live (in Canada) the numbers of people opposed to extracting bitumen from tar sands for oil, is growing...out of the recognition that it is one of the few sources of oil left, and regardless of the great environmental damage that this development is doing. Sad to say, the majority are betraying themselves as being more concerned in preserving their present way of life, than they are for the consequences of what happens to those coming after us in the next generation or two, who will have to deal with a hotter climate and dying oceans. I can agree that religion is often necessary to motivate people to make the kinds of sacrifices that are sometimes necessary, but it certainly better be the right kind of religion! Because there sure seems to be a whole lot of religion where I live that is on the other side, and think God will just bring them the Rapture or the 2nd Coming when this world is degraded beyond repair!

No I disagree with this to an extent. If as we have Islam which makes many statements that suggest violence is justified, Christianity that states unjustified violence is wrong and violence in general should be resisted,
Let's stop here and consider that Islam was a religion founded at a time of particular turmoil on the Arabian Peninsula, and that Arabia, because of its vast deserts, and open spaces, and isolated pockets was fresh water and other resources, was a land that was almost designed to create constant war and conflict; and whether Muhammad believed or not that he was hearing the voice of God, he appeared to take a great interest in finding a way to create order and create and apply rules for the people to follow. And when we consider the situation in modern times, with over a billion Muslims in the world, who have varied ideas and interpretations on dealing with consumerism, western culture and foreign religions, one western mode of thinking that potentially lights the fuse for conflict is the teaching that Islam in all its forms has no positive merits and must be eradicated and replaced by Christianity...whether or not by force or claiming it can be done peacefully.

Christianity, on the other hand was faced with a particular dilemma when it came to how Christians should go to war because all of the justification for war in their scriptures was way back in the Old Testament, and a Christian theory of "Just War" had to await the arrival of Thomas Aquinas, because Christianity was created around the belief that they were already living in the end times, and thought that Jesus would return to destroy the Roman Empire and establish his kingdom on Earth....or at least that's what a lot of the symbolism of books like Revelation would indicate. It is more correct to observe that Christianity left a lot of holes to fill in the New Testament because the writers hadn't thought far enough ahead into the future to consider the dilemma of Christians becoming the state religions in Christian-majority nations.

and modern (Humanistic/relativistic/nihilism) that says abortion is fine and killing convicted murderers is wrong.
Is killing convicted murderers right? First problem that being convicted just means convicted by jury or judge, not that the convicted person is actually guilty of the crime. In the U.S., as soon as DNA analysis was done in some old murder cases, we find that a large minority could not have committed the crime, and many innocent victims were convicted and put to death. The application of law in capital punishment cases has been found to be highly skewed by race and wealth. The whiter you are, and the richer you are, the less likely you are to be put to death. It was observed during the trial of O.J. Simpson 20 years ago when the D.A.'s office declined the death penalty in favor of life imprisonment that many blacks have been executed in America, but the U.S. had (and likely still hasn't) ever executed a millionaire convicted of murder. And in the O.J. Case, I guess the takeaway is that money trumps race. But, even if there is no doubt about guilt, is the Christian claim of universal concern for life negated by killing someone who for whatever reasons, has killed someone themselves?

Until I was convinced of this I do not believe that marriage (a holy institution) should be allowed for homosexuals. Beyond that the Bible does not require me to act further beyond my own behavior.
Again without belief in your premise I still consider it a sin but I also believe that all Christians sin. I think they can be Christians and I do believe they are free from my judgment apart from what I said above. In other words regardless of whether goal posts are moved the impact is extremely small.
I raised the issue, even though it doesn't impact me personally, because it seems to be the civil rights issue of our time, and a lot of the reasons for condemning and ostracizing homosexuals today have been shown to have no merits in light of scientific evidence. Gay marriage is an example of an issue that should not even exist, since nations, like one where I live, have recognized same-sex marriage and the issue has vanished from public or media concern, while in the U.S., you would think the sky was going to fall if gay marriage is legal.

It serves as a modern example of how rigid adherence to scriptural interpretation does nothing positive for the believer, and creates misery for the group that's targeted. And, if we consider that one of the things conservatives harp on about most regarding gay men is their promiscuity and STD rates, and yet changing marriage laws to encourage at least some gay men to form permanent partnerships is considered the sin by fundamentalist Christians! This is bizzarro world!

work in progress

I think in summary that you believe religion as valid a foundation for morals as any. However you believe that they should be pliable and adapt to new dichotomies or discovery. That is where the legitimacy of the religion comes in. If true then God is the arbiter of what is moral not our poor efforts at science and psychology. I believe God has changed many requirements over time. (Compare Leviticus to the Gospels). He has very good reasons for that and his requirements are both just and absolute. If I grant that you do not believe this then your statements are very logical and display a clear grasp of the issues. The difference is always in Satan's first lie to man. DID GOD REALLY SAY __________?
Yes, I do believe that there are strengths and positive contributions offered by many religions, but when it comes to deontological moral systems, there are many examples where applying the rules can be a source of evil, rather than a protection from doing wrong. The targeting of gays would be one example, and so would the arguments demanding submission by women in the churches, public life and even in the family by being told she has to obey her husband. Even in the abortion example, we have to consider that there are many circumstances where preventing a woman from having an abortion is going to result in greater harm than allowing legal abortion. And, we have to consider that humans are flexible, adaptable creatures. Much of what we consider moral today comes from the fact that, after hundreds of thousands of years living in small, non-hierarchical large family groups, we adapted with varying degrees of success, to life in permanent agrarian societies, which grew larger and larger over time, and then we adapted to moving among strangers every day in modern cities and avoiding eye contact or conversation with casual passers-by that we don't know. We adapted to many forms of hierarchical, class-based societies with varying degrees of acceptance of violence, and all through this time we have had religions and non-religious philosophies come up and justify the kinds of societies that we have developed. So, I do see morality as largely open-ended, with only a few absolutes....no.1 would be getting back and re-adopting some of the cultural beliefs and practices we had prior to the Enlightenment taught us that time was linear and progress - both in knowledge and technology was unending. There is a lot of what we have created in the last 300 years and prize so highly which is leading us to destruction, and I am not finding many enlightened free-thinkers who recognize the real problems or want to deal with them.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No; everyone aside from psychopaths feels an involuntary aversion many moral perversions, and murder would be one that is a universal taboo.
This does not make murder actually wrong. It simply makes it majority disapproved. If that is the standard and it is many times then Jesus, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King would have been immoral. Popular opinion is powerless to establish truth and is a logical fallacy. If it could what Hitler did would have been moral because most Germans agreed until the end.
The problem is that revulsion of murder varies with how separate the victim is from us and our society. Historically, murder is always a crime within the tribe, and then within the nation; but the problem comes in trying to apply "thou shalt not murder" as a universal value. Even Judaism, which places that in the Law handed down to Moses, creates a whole set of rules and circumstances in the Torah where murder is justified, and even in a few circumstances - commanded by God! And refusal to carry out the murder of enemies of God is a sin! Turning the whole argument that the right religion will prevent murder completely upside down. If there are any circumstances where foreign enemies or offenders of God's Law can be murdered, then the argument falls flat!
I do not acknowledge the authority of anything outside of the word of God. The Torah is the books of Moses and are contained in the Bible. First the laws contained therein are only for the Hebrews for a specific time. They do not apply in the New Covenant to anyone. Second there are no laws in the Torah that allow unjustified killing. Third we are hardly capable of knowing whether God's acts are justified or not. Fourth I am not stressing the details as much as the core. If we adopt Murder is wrong that settles the issue and the murder of unborn children as an act of birth control would be stopped. That alone justifies it's adoption. The application and determination of justified is a matter I was not discussing and present in any system adopted.
Religion...or more accurately, the right kind of religious teaching and practice, could lead the way to true universal values that inspire people to oppose tyranny, but there may be non-religious methods of achieving the same goals.
There are none that are objective and absolute. Only religion can grant that. Opinion would not justify a mother to lose her five sons in a war to free slaves. Absolute right and wrong did.
So far, the problem with secular morality is that it is a mile wide and an inch deep! Many secular humanists may believe the right things about universal brotherhood, but do nothing to alleviate the suffering of others or push back against tyranny because merely having the correct set of beliefs does not do much to change the way people act or conduct themselves in their everyday lives. There does seem to be some type of practice or ritual necessary that makes personal demands and requires some level of regular commitment before people change the way they act. A lot of the problem with humanism is that it is enthralled with reason, logic and other manifestations of higher order thinking, when most of the way we act come from an unconscious level of mental processing that only changes through developing new routines and repeating them over and over again until they become deeply engrained.
This can be summed up as I did. It is opinion only. Mere preference and that is insufficient for the needs of society.
Like I said before, I believe that this world and the entire human race is imperiled and facing extinction, likely not that long after we are dead and gone. Any group or any advocate who is trying to get people to focus beyond their immediate needs and gratifications, and consider doing what is necessary to preserve this world for future generations is okay by me, from whatever direction they are coming from.
Extinction from what source? Can you prove that propagating the species is actually good or right without God? Maybe mosquitos should take over. I heard a scientist say that if a comet is heading here to kill us all do we have the right to stop it. Prove we do without God.
I have spent my life doing what most middle class people do and try to achieve, and most everyday people I talk to, start shutting down as soon as they consider that saving the future might mean making significant sacrifices here and now. Is capitalism a non-starter, or parting with our love affair with the automobile, if they are sowing the seeds of destruction? Because, from what I have learned about the way our economic system works, and the energy, quantity of resources, and the infrastructure necessary to maintain "happy motoring" is a major root cause of the present predicament. But, where I live (in Canada) the numbers of people opposed to extracting bitumen from tar sands for oil, is growing...out of the recognition that it is one of the few sources of oil left, and regardless of the great environmental damage that this development is doing. Sad to say, the majority are betraying themselves as being more concerned in preserving their present way of life, than they are for the consequences of what happens to those coming after us in the next generation or two, who will have to deal with a hotter climate and dying oceans. I can agree that religion is often necessary to motivate people to make the kinds of sacrifices that are sometimes necessary, but it certainly better be the right kind of religion! Because there sure seems to be a whole lot of religion where I live that is on the other side, and think God will just bring them the Rapture or the 2nd Coming when this world is degraded beyond repair!
The world is far more resilient than you describe. People’s opinions are far more fickle than even what you describe. Our present concerns are no direr than histories concerns have been concerning food resources. The population seems to fluctuate based on resource availability. It is nothing new. I almost feel sorry for any one that is this worried. My faith alleviates quite a bit of these issues.
Let's stop here and consider that Islam was a religion founded at a time of particular turmoil on the Arabian Peninsula, and that Arabia, because of its vast deserts, and open spaces, and isolated pockets was fresh water and other resources, was a land that was almost designed to create constant war and conflict; and whether Muhammad believed or not that he was hearing the voice of God, he appeared to take a great interest in finding a way to create order and create and apply rules for the people to follow. And when we consider the situation in modern times, with over a billion Muslims in the world, who have varied ideas and interpretations on dealing with consumerism, western culture and foreign religions, one western mode of thinking that potentially lights the fuse for conflict is the teaching that Islam in all its forms has no positive merits and must be eradicated and replaced by Christianity...whether or not by force or claiming it can be done peacefully.
I think you have gotten who his forcing who to do what backwards. Islam is IMO a cancer. I do not claim there is no merit in it. I have for a long time been fascinated by demons and spiritual warfare. The descriptions of his revelations are word for word the same as the Bible and many examples even today of demonic influence. A favored tactic of Satan and demons is to imitate God, to gain trust by giving helpful information, and to cloak diabolical actions in righteousness. The Bible says he comes as an angel of light. If he shows up with a pitch fork no one would believe or follow him. Continued below:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Christianity, on the other hand was faced with a particular dilemma when it came to how Christians should go to war because all of the justification for war in their scriptures was way back in the Old Testament, and a Christian theory of "Just War" had to await the arrival of Thomas Aquinas, because Christianity was created around the belief that they were already living in the end times, and thought that Jesus would return to destroy the Roman Empire and establish his kingdom on Earth....or at least that's what a lot of the symbolism of books like Revelation would indicate. It is more correct to observe that Christianity left a lot of holes to fill in the New Testament because the writers hadn't thought far enough ahead into the future to consider the dilemma of Christians becoming the state religions in Christian-majority nations.
The OT concerned primarily the establishment of the Hebrew nation and it's maintenance in preparation for Christ. The NT is primarily concerned with Christ and our relationship to him. It concerns a spiritual kingdom not an earthly one. It is to get us out of this mess and into heaven not fix the mess. It is not designed for governmental institution or to straighten out national policy. It would be strange if it did concern its self with warfare. I do agree that it is an issue that has been troublesome but do not find as much profound meaning in it as you.
Is killing convicted murderers right? First problem that being convicted just means convicted by jury or judge, not that the convicted person is actually guilty of the crime.
It is the best that can be done. In Israel God made many decisions concerning guilt. Please pay attention to this: No system will ever guarantee perfect justice but with only God is the possibility that all will be made right in the end. Without God there is no hope for ultimate justice. By the way the system we use is far from perfect but I can't even dream up another that is practical and would produce more justice. The world is supposed to be messed up. The Bible says so and even gives the most comprehensive explanation for that and the only hope for resolution.

In the U.S., as soon as DNA analysis was done in some old murder cases, we find that a large minority could not have committed the crime, and many innocent victims were convicted and put to death. The application of law in capital punishment cases has been found to be highly skewed by race and wealth. The whiter you are, and the richer you are, the less likely you are to be put to death. It was observed during the trial of O.J. Simpson 20 years ago when the D.A.'s office declined the death penalty in favor of life imprisonment that many blacks have been executed in America, but the U.S. had (and likely still hasn't) ever executed a millionaire convicted of murder. And in the O.J. Case, I guess the takeaway is that money trumps race. But, even if there is no doubt about guilt, is the Christian claim of universal concern for life negated by killing someone who for whatever reasons, has killed someone themselves?
I do agree that any man made institution is flawed but I do not see the point in its inclusion in the discussion.
I raised the issue, even though it doesn't impact me personally, because it seems to be the civil rights issue of our time, and a lot of the reasons for condemning and ostracizing homosexuals today have been shown to have no merits in light of scientific evidence. Gay marriage is an example of an issue that should not even exist, since nations, like one where I live, have recognized same-sex marriage and the issue has vanished from public or media concern, while in the U.S., you would think the sky was going to fall if gay marriage is legal.
We will have to disagree. I do not in any way persecute or judge homosexuality outside of the holy institution of marriage and inclusion in the military possibly. I will add that it has been shown that kids are in many cases traumatized and badly affected for life by the lack of both a mother and father as parents.
It serves as a modern example of how rigid adherence to scriptural interpretation does nothing positive for the believer, and creates misery for the group that's targeted. And, if we consider that one of the things conservatives harp on about most regarding gay men is their promiscuity and STD rates, and yet changing marriage laws to encourage at least some gay men to form permanent partnerships is considered the sin by fundamentalist Christians! This is bizzarro world!
AS with many issues it is hard for a finite mind to grasp all the information used to make a moral requirement as done so by God. History is replete with examples of our ignoring God and suffering massive consequences. Saul was told to kill all of a certain tribe. He decided that was wrong and spared the king and the Queen who was pregnant. Well when Nathan found out he killed the King but the queen got away. Eventually her son grew up and was a consort to Xerxes. He got the King to issue an order that would have murdered every Jew in Persia (4/5ths of the civilized world) if God had not stopped him. I can site these till my fingers bleed and even in the case where grey areas exist, will gamble of God. There is a Christian poster that agrees with you on here. Her name is Sojoyner if you want to look her up. For me unlike as with Eve in the garden when Satan says "did God really say you would die", or in this case "is homosexuality really a sin". I will take my chances with belief on God.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Yes, I do believe that there are strengths and positive contributions offered by many religions, but when it comes to deontological moral systems, there are many examples where applying the rules can be a source of evil, rather than a protection from doing wrong.
Without God how would you know this? Without God how can you show wrong or evil is an absolute category of truth? You can't show a line is crooked unless you have a straight one to compare it to.

The targeting of gays would be one example, and so would the arguments demanding submission by women in the churches
I have never witnessed or heard of either in the circles I float around in.

public life and even in the family by being told she has to obey her husband
Your knowledge base is beginning to crack. In those same verses the husband is commanded to obey and respect the wife. When Christianity ruled in the 50's would you say the average family was better or worse off in our much more secular everything goes time. We have rampant teenage and illigitamate pregnancy. We have gangs and shootings in schools. Astronomical divorce rates. Mark my words when it gets too bad they wil claim all these are somehow good.

Even in the abortion example, we have to consider that there are many circumstances where preventing a woman from having an abortion is going to result in greater harm than allowing legal abortion.
I do not not cliam that in these cases it should be prevented only when it is used as birth control.

And, we have to consider that humans are flexible, adaptable creatures. Much of what we consider moral today comes from the fact that, after hundreds of thousands of years living in small, non-hierarchical large family groups, we adapted with varying degrees of success, to life in permanent agrarian societies, which grew larger and larger over time, and then we adapted to moving among strangers every day in modern cities and avoiding eye contact or conversation with casual passers-by that we don't know. We adapted to many forms of hierarchical, class-based societies with varying degrees of acceptance of violence, and all through this time we have had religions and non-religious philosophies come up and justify the kinds of societies that we have developed. So, I do see morality as largely open-ended, with only a few absolutes....no.1 would be getting back and re-adopting some of the cultural beliefs and practices we had prior to the Enlightenment taught us that time was linear and progress - both in knowledge and technology was unending. There is a lot of what we have created in the last 300 years and prize so highly which is leading us to destruction, and I am not finding many enlightened free-thinkers who recognize the real problems or want to deal with them.
I do not care or acknowledge the fickle opinion of man as to what constitutes morality. Even if everyone concluded Venus did not exist it still does. Even if at some time not too far off Murder like so many other sins is rationalised then we will suffer for it, because it would still be the same devestating evil it always has been. There was a leading and well respected psychologist years ago that commited suicide. His note said in effect that since they had banned the concept of sin in his practice he no longer could treat the problem only the symptoms and he could not bear where we were headed. Another story just for curiosity mainly, is that a German General came home from the death camps where he had been killing Jews all day. He found his dog had been run over and the driver had not even stopped. He said he could not live in a world where people would kill a dog and just keep driving and killed himself. I hope morality is in hands more competant than mans.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Without God how would you know this? Without God how can you show wrong or evil is an absolute category of truth? You can't show a line is crooked unless you have a straight one to compare it to.

So, you think it takes a god to know that stoning a woman to death for premarital sex is an evil?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I didn't say that context was not important. I said in the case of many statements context is irrelevant because it can't say anything but what it says. I do not remember if it was you but someone said they could not find the context but had invented one anyway that they thought would soften what he said. They did not realise that it didn't change the statement at all. That statement speaks for its self. It is accurate and does not prove evolution is false. It simply accurately says what evolution alone implies. In short I do not think any likely context (I know his religous debate work well) that he could have possibly used would have changed the statements implications.

1. His statement alone is complete, true, and does not require a context.
2. His statement like many would not be substantially altered by including any likely context.
3. His statement is used countless times in the same context and never to my knowledge in any other.

There fore it is very reasonable to believe it means what it says.
Context is always important. There is never a time when it is irrelevant. And it is especially strange that you think that you can just offer up a quote and then refuse to give the context simply by claiming that the context is irrelevant in this specific case. Why should I take your word for it?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So, you think it takes a god to know that stoning a woman to death for premarital sex is an evil?
That is a loaded question and a tired one as well. The first part. No, it only takes a God given concience to know murder is wrong. All men have them and suppress them to varying degrees. It does however require God to justify or show that musrder is actually wrong. Please prove murder is actually wrong without God. Good luck. Even the professional atheistic debaters concede the issue and punt.

Second. Your carefully chosen example was only allowed in Israel for a limited period of time. It is far more complex than your statement here suggests and factors concerning what God's purpose was and the relative cost and impact of that requirement verses what he was doing and what was at stake assuming he exists. I have no problem explaining it but it all rests in explenations that assume God is true. So I will address it with you somehere if you desire but it is long, tedious, and assumes the Biblical God. If you can handle that then I am willing. It does not apply to this thread and would side track it too far.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Context is always important. There is never a time when it is irrelevant. And it is especially strange that you think that you can just offer up a quote and then refuse to give the context simply by claiming that the context is irrelevant in this specific case. Why should I take your word for it?
I keep getting these appeals to context in an effort to get Dawkins off the hook. Every scrap of context I could find had no effect on the statement. It was in fact perfectly consistent with the statement, the question, and the narrative of discussion. If you have any context that has any bearing then supply it. Otherwise please have the courage of your convictions and swallow the bad with the good.

If I said that absolute zero is (-273K). How could any context change the context of the statement if made without it? Some statements resist any change or ambiguity no matter the context. This one is pretty close. However I have provided more context than anyone here and it is all consistent.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...it only takes a God given concience to know murder is wrong. All men have them and suppress them to varying degrees.

Ultimately, you must take what you say on faith, for you have no evidence that the conscience is god-given. Moreover, god is an unnecessary hypothesis here. There are natural explanations that account for conscience and do not require our positing the existence of deity.

If you want to accept something on faith, that's your business. But arguing that people who do not accept things on faith have a weaker basis for their morality than you yourself do is, at best, nonsense.

otokage007

That is a loaded question and a tired one as well. The first part. No, it only takes a God given concience to know murder is wrong. All men have them and suppress them to varying degrees. It does however require God to justify or show that musrder is actually wrong. Please prove murder is actually wrong without God. Good luck. Even the professional atheistic debaters concede the issue and punt.

Biologists and psychologists simply disagree with you.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
:biglaugh:
I do not know which is funnier, that you said it, or that you actually believe it...

Photonic

Ad astra!

Prison statistics HEAVILY disagree with you.

On the order of magnitudes actually.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Biologists and psychologists simply disagree with you.
Apparently Dawkins was not a biologist then. Psychologists carry no weight will me. I regard what they do as pseudoscience. I have only seen that they can treat symptoms and never cure anything. Probably because the modern trend to eliminate sin, God, and absolute morals have left their tool box empty. With the modern encroachment of ambiguous moral relativism which is the only choice once God is out we have sky rocketing teen pregnancy, out of wedlock births, millions of babies killed every year, gangs in schools, and out of control divorce rates. Thanks Psychologists. I am sure there are a few exceptions but I reject the field as a whole and wish they would stop doping up a large percentage of school children. Biologists may also think they know what took place billions of years ago. They do not, and they can no more show that murder is actually wrong without God than anyone else here has. Without God morality is mere preference and therefore is insufficient for the needs of society. Instead of these impotent attempts to show what I claim is wrong it is only necessary for you to prove murder is wrong without God. If you can do so then the debate is over. If you can't the debate is over as well. I keep doing so and others keep failing to and then I keep giving the issue a nice burial but then a new Bible critic shows up and digs up the corpse and then props it up again. It is a monotonous cycle.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I do not know which is funnier, that you said it, or that you actually believe it...
I see that 24 hour phase of humility and making meaningfull coments has drawn to a close. It is back to cheerleading, color commentary, and hissing from the stands again for you.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Apparently Dawkins was not a biologist then. Psychologists carry no weight will me. I regard what they do as pseudoscience. I have only seen that they can treat symptoms and never cure anything. Probably because the modern trend to eliminate sin, God, and absolute morals have left their tool box empty. With the modern encroachment of ambiguous moral relativism which is the only choice once God is out we have sky rocketing teen pregnancy, out of wedlock births, millions of babies killed every year, gangs in schools, and out of control divorce rates. Thanks Psychologists. I am sure there are a few exceptions but I reject the field as a whole and wish they would stop doping up a large percentage of school children. Biologists may also think they know what took place billions of years ago. They do not, and they can no more show that murder is actually wrong without God than anyone else here has. Without God morality is mere preference and therefore is insufficient for the needs of society. Instead of these impotent attempts to show what I claim is wrong it is only necessary for you to prove murder is wrong without God. If you can do so then the debate is over. If you can't the debate is over as well. I keep doing so and others keep failing to and then I keep giving the issue a nice burial but then a new Bible critic shows up and digs up the corpse and then props it up again. It is a monotonous cycle.

I doubt reality carries much weight with you either.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I doubt reality carries much weight with you either.
Your the one in denial. You are the one who ignored the simple test that you should be able to meet that would prove your position. It isn't complicated.

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!
What in the wor......? What in my statement can prison statistics have any effect on. There is nothing about prisons in it.

You made a horrible HORRIBLE claim that anyone who isn't God minded has no real moral concept, and are pretty much more prone to murder.

So, do you have evidence of this, or are you not serious about your claim?

Because I can clearly see you are wrong.

2001 ARIS data ( http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris/key_findings.htm ):

76.6% - Christian

19.1% - No Religion/Refused to Answer

1.3% - Jewish

0.7% - Other/Not Specified

0.5% - Muslim/Islamic

0.5% - Buddhist

0.4% - Atheist

0.3% - Hindu

0.05% - Native American

0.04% - Bahai

0.027% - Sikh

0.026% - Scientology

0.01% - Santeria

0.005% - Rastafarian

Because of the way the prison data was grouped, I chose to combine the “No Religion” and “Refused to Answer” groups into one group. However, I separated the “Atheist” group (Atheists were listed as a subgroup which helped to make up the No Religion group) from the “No Religion” group as it was found in the 2001 ARIS study because of the way that the prison data grouped it's findings. This is the area where those who claim that there is a significant difference between atheists among the two populations make their mistake. Among these claims that I had found, they tended to assume that all of the respondents who claimed that they had no religious affiliation were automatically atheists, however this is not the case. Just because someone does not affiliate themselves with a particular religion does not mean that they do not have a belief in a god. Further, and more importantly, the prison survey data (shown below) asks inmates to explicitly identify themselves as “atheist”. Any comparison of the prison data must be with data which asks an identical (or at least very similar) question. You cannot use survey data which asks questions such as “Do you believe in a god?” or “Are you religious?” and then assume that the conclusions based on these comparisons are valid. There may be people who technically fit the definition of the word atheist, however we cannot consider that data because whether or not they fit into the definition of what an atheist is, and whether or not they refer to themselves explicitly as an “atheist” are two different things.

2001 ARIS – Christians:

34.7% - Protestant

24.4% - Catholic

11.2% - Other/Non Specified

2.1% - Pentecostal

1.3% - Mormon

1.2% - Church of Christ

0.6% - Jehovah's Witness

0.34% - Adventist

0.31% - Orthodox

The data for the “Protestant” and “Other” groups are likely to be unreliable when forming conclusions because of the grouping differences among each survey (For the most part, I had to form the Protestant and Other groups myself by combining denominations which I myself thought belonged in those groups, making them very unreliable.). Mostly likely, the Protestant group should be larger.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You made a horrible HORRIBLE claim that anyone who isn't God minded has no real moral concept, and are pretty much more prone to murder.
This is so pathetic. It would not be so bad if it wasn't so universal. I never said anything that implied a person can't be moral without God. In fact I said the exact opposite. Did you even rtead the post or did you see Christian as my religion and turn red and argue against whatever you chose. What I said that an Atheist can of course decide to do good. He just can't suffeciently say what good is. I have given you and many others a chance to easily show that wrong. You have failed. It is easy. Prove that murder is actually wrong without God. Prove that good and evil have any actual meaning without God. If you can't, and you instead appeal to points I did not make then I can't see a future for a discussion with you.

So, do you have evidence of this, or are you not serious about your claim?

Because I can clearly see you are wrong.
No you clearly see the argument you made up and attributed to me is wrong. What I actually said is fact. For some reason your stats didn't make it to this quote page and your link is not found when clicked. However as I am familiar with this bizarre and impotent missuse of statistics I will reply. I thought you were posting the stats on what Americans claim their religous affiliation is. After review I have no idea what your statistics concern. It does not say and your link does not work. Are you saying that prison religous groups are these numbers? If so I will adress it but why are you posting it. I did not say anything about prisons. I said that both atheists and Christians can do rgreat things. However only the Christian can suffecienty explain why or even what good, eveil, right, or wrong actuall mean. The atheist can't. I do not think you get it and instead invent whatever you wish to argue against. Your stats have nothing to do with that.