• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Religion doing more harm than good?

Pure-Truth

I love facts so,
Based on the following thread which BTW involves many Posters who advocate to many different religions, what can be said about religion?

Sample of religious Posters

Yeah not so pretty, when we consider this is an extremely small sample at this point in time, please note I make reference to that threads Posts posted before this Threads creation ;).. As any Posts there after the creation of this thread may be suspect to a response by this Threads revelations, which I can say is good for you in respects to reasoning capacity if such an endeavour is acted upon..

Moving on,
Granted some attributes referred to by Religions are with a Positive, but after we consider the Negative, is all that - "that is fictitious being treated as fact" doing any good or not?

I highly recommend one reads that last statement with due care, as much the same results as the above mentioned thread may be repeated here..

Maybe a CAREFUL revise to ones reasoning is in order? yes?

Now let us move on to a partial reason for this thread.. **NOTE** "Take due care here"

This thread is an attempt to point out various levels of reasoning capacity, it's the third stage based upon previous threads created by me, oh if you are interested here are those other threads..

Thread
Thread
and the above thread
Thread

And now with the following statement/s by Posters who with knowing it, will provided Information that well, rather than I spell it out and ruin the evidence - lets move on to more evidence supporting why religions are so negative rather than Positive..

Oh and please, PLEASE!, lets all be civil to each other..:sad:
To those of you who are clear on what has - in the above threads transpired, I request you keep your higher reasoning to your self and if I may call upon your input.

For those who don't have a Clue, be rest assured this thread means no malice, also I would like to repeat, if I have offended you, please consider my delema in that sometimes we need to take action that we normally don't care to..
Almost over looked the apology to those that has them reasoning this thread oozes with pure dibble, :facepalm: to which may I bid you 2~Duh~Loo!

Cheers to all others,:D

Pete..

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
No. Religion is not doing more harm than good. For every 1 example of something bad indirectly caused by religion, there are hundreds of examples of something good directly caused by religion.

Morse

To Extinguish
Pure-Truth, I have a sincere question.

What do you think of all the Atheists who think you're full of BS?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What is religion?

Define it using the Oxford English Dictionary, as updated as you can possibly be. Be sure to take into account the word's etymology.

Use Dictionary.com ONLY if you don't have access to the OED.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is a powerful thing, and anything powerful is dangerous in the wrong hands.

phokist33

religion is doing more harm than good. Some believe that if we had no religion then we would have no morals as well, but when you think about it, morality does not necessarily have to do with the religions it coincides with, it's simply something the population figures out as we evolve.

I think with religion present humanity is always going to be a step behind, and to fix that we should accept the fact that there is no proof that a god exists, and therefor stand by the empirical evidence as we do with everything else in the world. Religion is the one thing that mankind bases its beliefs on without evidence.:sad:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
religion is doing more harm than good. Some believe that if we had no religion then we would have no morals as well, but when you think about it, morality does not necessarily have to do with the religions it coincides with, it's simply something the population figures out as we evolve.

I think with religion present humanity is always going to be a step behind, and to fix that we should accept the fact that there is no proof that a god exists,

Religion isn't about proof, it's about faith. Proof would kind of defeat the purpose.

and therefor stand by the empirical evidence as we do with everything else in the world. Religion is the one thing that mankind bases its beliefs on without evidence.:sad:

Actually, belief without evidence (or counter to evidence) is a pretty common human failing, applied to all kinds of issues.

Ironically, religion is one of the few instances where it's appropriate.

I'd like to call attention to a recent "Intelligence Squared" debate presented by the BBC. Before the four person panel (Archbishop, John Onaiyekan, British MP, Anne Widdercombe, Journalist, Christopher Hitchens and Actor/Journalist Stephen Fry) is asked to respond to the question: "Is the Catholic church a force of good in the world", the audience is polled on the same question. After each of the panel members made his/her case, the audience is polled again.

The results? Let's just say the the church has yet another event in history to be ashamed of.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The Catholic church is not a religion, it's a religious institution. I think it's important to make the distinction.

phokist33

Religion isn't about proof, it's about faith. Proof would kind of defeat the purpose.

that's the point though isn't it? religion should not exist because there is no proof.

Actually, belief without evidence (or counter to evidence) is a pretty common human failing, applied to all kinds of issues.

Ironically, religion is one of the few instances where it's appropriate.

and i understand that belief without evidence happens a lot, i agree, but that's not what i'm arguing, I'm saying that if someone believes something without being able to prove it, then they are allowing them selves to be mislead and when it comes to religion the reasons that they usually do this is to make them selves feel better about what they can't possibly comprehend anyways.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You know, to answer the question, it doesn't matter whether or not religion is doing more harm than good, because it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Even if you abolished every single religion practiced in the world, someone would make a religion out of something, and it would start all over again.