• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Punishment Justice?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yeah, that old law professor must have known less than you, Koldo. But then everyone knows less than you, according to you.

Do not distort my words.
And, please, do not even try to make an argument from authority.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
And I agree with you. To be honest, if a serious crime was committed against me, I'd probably want to get revenge myself and not even bother with having them punished in jail. That makes more sense to me, personally. I was just saying that what Norway is doing seems to be working in the sense that it stops (for the most part) repeat offenders.

Yeah, I also think it is because the United States sets the bar so low. I bet that other European countries have lower recidivism rates.

evane123

I think quarantining people who are convicted of crimes but have become more intelligent is appropriate. I think abuses of quarantining power could happen.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do not distort my words.
And, please, do not even try to make an argument from authority.

My apologies if failed to take your words in the spirit in which you offered them.

On the other hand, you really should read up on informal fallacies of logic if you think I have committed the fallacy of an appeal to authority. My citing a law professor on the law is a logical argument.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My apologies if failed to take your words in the spirit in which you offered them.

On the other hand, you really should read up on informal fallacies of logic if you think I have committed the fallacy of an appeal to authority. My citing a law professor on the law is a logical argument.

You have not made use of a fallacy so far.
However, you were very close to making use of one. Which is why i said what i did. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You have not made use of a fallacy so far.
However, you were very close to making use of one. Which is why i said what i did. ;)

You strike me as pretty far from knowing how close someone is to committing errors in logic. It's just rude and patronizing of you to say I was "close". Nice. But from now on, stick to worrying about yourself and not me.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You strike me as pretty far from knowing how close someone is to committing errors in logic. It's just rude and patronizing of you to say I was "close". Nice. But from now on, stick to worrying about yourself and not me.

It seemed to me you were very close to saying: "If the old law professor said something about justice then it must be true".

I wasn't worried. I just didn't want to waste my time refuting a fallacy.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I think some of the views expressed here are based on certain rationales, and am hoping people reference that.