• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Polytheism More Realistic Than Monotheism?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In what ways, if any, does polytheism better account for the basic nature of the universe than monotheism?

Does polytheism better reflect the natural diversity of life on earth?

Does polytheism better account for the fact there is immense suffering in this world?

Do multiple deities better reflect the diverse thoughts, passions, and drives in each of us?

Last, is it true Booko is not actually out sick but is merely boycotting RF until Todd makes all her chickens into mods, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Polytheism, in a way, better accounts for the human experience of "God" than monotheism. Better than both, in my opinion, is an understanding that the experience of the divine will change as a person grows and changes throughout their life. So I think something like AE's "process theology" or the way Willamena approaches Astrology is more realistic a way to imagine the divine experience than either polytheism or a strict monotheism.

But as with Willamena's Astrology, if one imagines one's affinities to the various deities of the pantheon as a progression through a growing process of awareness, polytheism could very well capture the essence of human experience better than monotheism.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
In Hinduism, the many deities are manifestations of God's many different powers and energies. Some may say that Brahma is the God of creation but Hindus actually believe in one God; so the correct way to describe Brahma is like this - God is referred to as Brahma when he is creating. It like how one man can be called father, brother, son etc and take on different roles accordingly; similarly, God has many names for his many different roles. However, in Hinduism, the truest name for God is Om.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
The "Problem of Evil" pops up primarily when one assumes an omnipotent and perfectly good deity. It vanishes with an almost audible *poof* by assuming multiple, non-omnipotent deities of varying goodness. This could be interpreted as more consistent with the chaotic state of affairs we observe on our little planet.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
At different ages, we have different concerns and expectations of life. Wouldn't a range of deities better reflect the concerns and expectations our different ages than a single, unchanging deity?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
jmoum said:
The properties of oxygen never change, and yet we all know that oxygen aids us in our growth and survival. Why should God, who is so much greater beyond imagination, be any different? In fact, if He is all wise and He is all powerful, He's perfect for us no matter what stage we are in our life.

But wouldn't it be more difficult to relate to such a rarified deity than it would be to relate to a more personified and limited deity? What kind of relationship can you have to something that is so exhalted it becomes, in effect, no more than a concept, an idea?

nutshell

Sunstone said:
In what ways, if any, does polytheism better account for the basic nature of the universe than monotheism?

Polytheist: See my answers below.
Monotheist: See my answers below.
Atheist: :rolleyes:

Sunstone said:

Polytheist: Of course. There is natural diversity because each element reflects the personality and characteristics of that god responsible for the element.

Monotheist: Of course not. The one True God is all powerful and all knowing. He is capable of creating natural diversity for our enjoyment.

Atheist: Natural diversity is a result of evolution and natural selection. Without diversity, whole species would be destroyed in a short amount of time.

Sunstone said:
Does polytheism better account for the fact there is immense suffering in this world?

Polytheist: No. Why would it do that?
Monotheist: Yes. The nations who believe in the one True God have become powerful while polytheistic nations suffer. The imbalance is caused by the lack of their faith.
Atheist: Suffering has nothing to do with the god or gods, but with human flaws - especially the greedy need for power.

Sunstone said:
Do multiple deities better reflect the diverse thoughts, passions, and drives in each of us?

See answer to natural diversity.

Sunstone said:
Last, is it true Booko is not actually out sick but is merely boycotting RF until Todd makes all her chickens into mods, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

Polytheist: Booko is caught in a civil war between the gods of fire and water. Who knows when Booko will escape.

Monotheist: Booko was taken up in the rapture. Wait......what the hell are we all still doing here!!!

Atheist: Yeah...Booko and her little chickens. I heard Todd threatened to ban them all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sunstone said:
Polytheism presents godhood in multiple images, each with its own pesonality or aspect or function. I don't think it has any advantage over an image of singular godhood that can take various aspects onto itself in accounting for the "basic nature" of the universe; neither actually account for it.

Sunstone said:
It better symbolises it.

Sunstone said:
Neither account for that.

Sunstone said:
They better symbolise them.

You'll probably note in my responses a "basic" unwillingness to surrender myself to circumstance (fate).

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Sunstone said:
At different ages, we have different concerns and expectations of life. Wouldn't a range of deities better reflect the concerns and expectations our different ages than a single, unchanging deity?

The Triple Goddess can answer that. Symbolized as the Moon she transforms from Maiden, to the Mother, and then to the Crone aspects, and the phases of the Moon reflects her.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
jmoum said:
Easy. Every single possitive human attribute you see is a reflection of God. Steadfastness? We get that from God. Compassion? Ditto. Honesty, strength, patience, ambition, studiousness, etc. etc., they all come from God. Knowing this, it's not so hard to connect with God because you can still focus on what you find most attractive.
Don't you get any credit for yourself?

Faint

Sunstone said:
Honestly, neither makes any logical sense...even for the sake of discussion. BUT if we're throwing the option of "no god(s)" out the window, then a case could be made for either poly or mono. If poly, I would say there are good and bad gods, each with their own agendas. If mono, I would say one who is not concerned with human affairs. The problem is that bad things happen to people, and this makes the idea of an all-powerful, all-knowing AND benevolent God ridiculous.

BTW, I could argue that Roman Catholicism is in fact polytheistic...you start with a trinity, then you have demigods like Mary and the thousands of Saints who also seem to have superpowers.

jmoum said:
The properties of oxygen never change,
No? Science might disagree. Please explain this theory in more detail.

jmoum said:
and yet we all know that oxygen aids us in our growth and survival.
Except when it's toxic due to elevated partial pressures causing seizures and lung damage...

jmoum said:
Why should God, who is so much greater beyond imagination, be any different?
If he is like oxygen, would you now agree that God can be toxic?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Sunstone said:

There is always a oneness, even in polytheism.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
jmoum said:
Yes, because I am the one who exercises those virtues, cultivates them, and becomes a better person because of them. However, those virtues come from God, and without our connection to him, we'd never be able to express them in the ways that we do.
Now I am confused: what is courage other than the exercise of it? What is virtue? What is compassion?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
jmoum said:
The exercise of courage is the evidence of possessing the virtue of courage. You must have it before you can exercise it, just like you must have your fingers and thumb and palm before you can grasp something in your hand. As for virtues themselves, they are traits of good moral character.
But what if courage is more akin to the act of grasping (as opposed to comparing it to the hand, which can be compared to 'self') --something you do as an act of 'being'? An 'act of will', so to speak. Then 'having courage' is the exercise of courage.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think that polytheism would only better account for the nature of the universe than monotheism if the participants believed that either some of the deities were ill-natured (caused suffering) and were just as powerful as the rest of the deities or if the polytheist's belief centered around their gods not being all-powerful.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Feathers in Hair said:
I think that polytheism would only better account for the nature of the universe than monotheism if the participants believed that either some of the deities were ill-natured (caused suffering) and were just as powerful as the rest of the deities or if the polytheist's belief centered around their gods not being all-powerful.

I agree. But do most polytheistic systems recognize an equality between the deities?

Ozzie

doppelgänger said:
Polytheism, in a way, better accounts for the human experience of "God" than monotheism. Better than both, in my opinion, is an understanding that the experience of the divine will change as a person grows and changes throughout their life. So I think something like AE's "process theology" or the way Willamena approaches Astrology is more realistic a way to imagine the divine experience than either polytheism or a strict monotheism.

But as with Willamena's Astrology, if one imagines one's affinities to the various deities of the pantheon as a progression through a growing process of awareness, polytheism could very well capture the essence of human experience better than monotheism.
I agree with your last comment. But a pantheon could offer a way for a religion to negotiate diversity in local conditions. Especially important for peasants who may never venture more than 50km from the village.

What I observed in India is local deity worshipped like a monotheistic God. The other gods in the pantheon exist but not for direct worship. Hinduism accounts for diversity by offering choice while offering devotion as a way to personal connection to God through worship of the local deity.

I guess the polytheism vs monotheism question as a realistic account for life depends on perspective. A Hindu scholar based at Varanasi University may want to recognise each deity in the pantheon as equally worthy of direct worship and part of a greater whole.

Oz