• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is our body a temple?

caminante

maybe it just simply means to love our boddies no matter how they are...to love our boddies does not mean that they have to be perfect, it means, literaly, that we love them, and i strongly believe that when we fully love ourselves we can love others as well.

"If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us"-Herman Hesse

so, if we have nothing to hate about ourselves, and understand our nature, then we can love anyone =)

Mystic-als

I think that the image you have of a temple is not the image I have. The things we are taught to accept as sin are totally subjective. So to say drinking is a sin or smoking or tattoos etc. Is both ignorant and arrogant.
A strong stand on this issue is applaudable but be careful not to condisend or judge people who think that smoking marajuana, drinking wine, tatooing their bodies and having group sex is part of worship.
Having said that, beckysoup61 did quote scripture in her question. So I assume we are talking from a biblican perspective.
I think that it means we should treat our bodies with respect and dignity. We are to be good stuards of what is intrusted to us. And to destroy your physical body in a persuit for pleasure is sad.

Smoke

Done here.
beckysoup61 said:
What does this scripture mean to you?

1 Corinthians 3:16-17
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Do you think it means that we should respect our bodies? I have opinion on it, I'm just wondering what everyone elses opinion is.
I don't think Paul was talking about our bodies at all. The "ye" here is plural (in English as well as in Greek), and Paul is speaking of the church. Whether he means the local congregation or the church universal is something I'll leave to the exegetes, but there's no basis for thinking that this passage refers to the bodies of individual Christians.

verita

Is our body a Temple?

It started in this situation…John 2:14-17
14And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

The Jews asked Jesus a sign, why he treated them that way.
Joh 2:18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

This is the first mention of the spiritual temple which is the human body of a Christian.
Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

The Jews who did not understand what Jesus meant. Even the Apostles did not realize what Jesus meant until he was raised from the dead…John 2:20-22
20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21But he spake of the temple of his body. 22When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Please note that all letters of Saint Paul was addressed to the true Christians and not to Gentiles.

Why Jesus did say that his body is a temple? Let’s see what Apostle Paul said to the Christians in Corinth.
1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
So to be a temple of God, the Spirit of God must dwell within a person and that person must be holy.

How can the Spirit of God dwell in man?
Pro 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: Behold, I will pour out my spirit upon you; I will make known my words unto you.
Here it explains that if a man turns at God’s reproof, God will pour out his spirit unto man and also God will make his words known to that man.

How will a person know the words of God?
Deu 17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
So we are therefore obliged to read the bible.

However, most persons who read the bible could not really understand it because the bible is sealed.
Isa 29:11 And all vision is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I cannot, for it is sealed:
Isa 29:12 and the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee; and he saith, I am not learned.

Is there any proof that the bible is really sealed that's why it cannot be easily understood?
Dan 12:8 And I heard, but I did not understand. Then I said, O my lord, what shall be the end of these things?
Dan 12:9 And He said, Go, Daniel! For the words are closed up and sealed until the end-time.

Therefore, who can help man understand the words of God written in the bible? An honest Preacher who is sent by God.
Act 8:27 And he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasure and had come to Jerusalem to worship,
Act 8:28 was returning. And sitting in his chariot he read Isaiah the prophet.
Act 8:29 Then the Spirit said to Philip, Go near and join yourself to this chariot.
Act 8:30 And Philip ran there to him and heard him read the prophet Isaiah, and said, Do you indeed understand what you are reading?
Act 8:31 And he said, How can I unless some man should guide me? And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.

Please continue next reply…..

verita

Continuation…

That is the reason why every Gentiles must learn first the Doctrines of our Lord Jesus Christ. Once a Gentil believe in the Doctrines they will be baptize and will be called Christians.
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth and began at the same Scripture and preached the gospel of Jesus to him.
Act 8:36 And as they passed along the way, they came on some water. And the eunuch said, See, here is water, what hinders me from being baptized?
Act 8:37 Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, it is lawful. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still. And they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch. And he baptized him.
Act 8:39 And when they had come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more. And he went on his way rejoicing.

What is that Holy Spirit that must dwell within a man and what is his job?
Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Holy Spirit is called the Comforter. The Holy Spirit will teach and help a Christian remember all things that you have read and learned from the bible.

So once the spirit of God dwells within a person, that person will become holy by the words of God.
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Therefore come out from among them and be separated, says the Lord, and do not touch the unclean thing. And I will receive you
2Co 6:18 and I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Is there any other meaning of idolatry that can make a man unclean?
Col 3:5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness (which is idolatry),

Once a man/woman have undergone the process of holiness and become a Christian that is the only time that God can dwell within a man so he/she is called a TEMPLE OF GOD.

If every faithful Christians is the temple of God, is there any possibility that God dwell in temples made by man?
Act 17:24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of Heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands,

God bless you all.