• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is omniscience or omnipotence really possible?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Theres nothing so sad as to undermine your own race. One day we will have all the answers, because we are limited only by our imaginations.

I'm not undermining anything. Can you grasp the concept of forever? I know that we all know it means time without end, but really think about it, and say that you can fully grasp it? That's why I say that we'll never know the beginnings of the universe.

So, should we just imagine the answer? Is that what you mean by only being limited by our imaginations?

A Lurking Shadow

I'm a slave to your will
I'm not undermining anything. Can you grasp the concept of forever? I know that we all know it means time without end, but really think about it, and say that you can fully grasp it? That's why I say that we'll never know the beginnings of the universe.

So, should we just imagine the answer? Is that what you mean by only being limited by our imaginations?

I grasp infinite, its just an special term.

We already have prevailing theories about the creation of the universe. Considering the rapid advancement science is undergoing who knows where it will take us. We've learnt more in the last 100 years than in the last 40,000.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I grasp infinite, its just an special term.

We already have prevailing theories about the creation of the universe. Considering the rapid advancement science is undergoing who knows where it will take us. We've learnt more in the last 100 years than in the last 40,000.

You grasp infinite? You must be thinking of it wrong, then.

So, what happened before the big bang?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
How am I thinking of it wrong?

Not knowing something doesn't mean we never will.

If you picture yourself, let's say, in some kind of heaven, and then try to imagine that experience never ending. If you can actually think about that and see it fully, then your mind is not human but something much higher.

I didn't say that not knowing something means we never will. Some things, when related to others, and viewed by logic seem completely unknowable by the human mind. I don't say anything is impossible, but there are things that are extremely improbable.

A Lurking Shadow

I'm a slave to your will
If you picture yourself, let's say, in some kind of heaven, and then try to imagine that experience never ending. If you can actually think about that and see it fully, then your mind is not human but something much higher.

I didn't say that not knowing something means we never will. Some things, when related to others, and viewed by logic seem completely unknowable by the human mind. I don't say anything is impossible, but there are things that are extremely improbable.

Even if we can't grasp these concepts directly, we might create something that can.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Once you create AI, very easily.

I guess I just don't believe that we can create something that functions at a higher level than we do. I know we can create something that can hold more knowledge than us, but something that can implement that knowledge better than us? It seems very improbable.

ravenstrike

Court Jester
I guess I just don't believe that we can create something that functions at a higher level than we do. I know we can create something that can hold more knowledge than us, but something that can implement that knowledge better than us? It seems very improbable.

You my friend, are a festezio.
I can make up words too.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, then maybe make a comment that's not insulting, and is actually funny, and we'll try again. ;)

mr.guy

crapsack
It's a nonsense question. Can you make a square circle?
Frankly, this largely sums up the OP.

I think the concept lends itself out pretty easily; but the bulk of argument has surrounded itself with word-play, at best, conceited dismissal for the rest.