• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is my clone accountable?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
You seem to be talking about something more than a simple clone; something between a clone (twin) and a Borg hive-brain.
If a simple clone, then the replica is an individual and his karma separates from yours at conception (production?), there's no clonic entanglement.

Been done a thousand times -- forget about it.
likely clone + brain download/upload

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You seem to be talking about something more than a simple clone; something between a clone (twin) and a Borg hive-brain.
If a simple clone, then the replica is an individual and his karma separates from yours at conception (production?), there's no clonic entanglement.

Been done a thousand times -- forget about it.

So, if each individual cell in my body and brain are replaced after a few years, do I have a different karma?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
To what end? What would the goal of the punishment be?

Some countries still apply death penalty to murders. This is, by definition, not correctional.

Independently from the effectivity of death penalty, should my clone be executed?

Ciao

- viole

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nope -- same dharma, same karma. They don't work on the level of the 'soul's' physical projection

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your clone, at the moment of creation, anyway, Is of the same mind you are, with the same criminal defects. Presumably, it would be as motivated as the original to kill itself. Would it even be aware of which one of the identical copies was the original?
The motivation for the suicide is still not clear to me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Nope -- same dharma, same karma. They don't work on the level of the 'soul's' physical projection

So, what is the difference between my body and brain with renewed cells and the body and brain of the clone?

Ciao

- viole

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
Suppose I killed a man.
Why not a woman? Sexist!
In an attempt to escape justice I make a perfect adult clone of myself (assuming

the technology is available). Same age, same mental states, memories, etc.

After that I kill myself (the original).

Should my clone go to prison?

- ciao

- viole
You are a crazy person, do you know that :p
It is a clever question. yet again.
I guess if YOU are living through your clone, then yes. But if it is a copy, then it

is not the REAL you, so no. So that would be for science to deduce what a clone

actually is. Spiritually, I couldn't be you, but you're not interested in that are you. Can't have the same soul you see.
Anyway, the clone came on the scene after the fact did it not? All comes down to whether th clone is actually you

Why the heck am I discussing this!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Your clone, at the moment of creation, anyway, Is of the same mind you are, with the same criminal defects. Presumably, it would be as motivated as the original to kill itself. Would it even be aware of which one of the identical copies was the original?

Interesting! So the clone might not realise it's the clone and might commit suicide too....the plot thickens!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
No. I assume the only reason you might feel like your clone is responsible is because they would basically be the same person as you were, up until the moment they were created, so they are just as capable as you were of doing everything you did. Except they didn't do it. They could have, and maybe they would have if they had existed back when you committed the murder. Maybe they would have done the same thing if they had been there. But they didn't. Being capable and willing to commit murder isn't the same as actually committing murder. You can't punish someone for something they could have done.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
But will he clone himself first?

Then there would be two clones and maybe one clone would murder somebody else and then commit suicide, or kill the other clone to hush it up, but then other people will be making clones as well to cover up different crimes so it would all get very complicated!

Laika

Premium Member
Suppose that my bodies and neural cells change after a while, as they naturally do. What makes me different from that clone?

Can I claim, like the clone, that I can only remember to have committed that crime?

Ciao

- viole

The concept of "self" is inevitably an abstract one. I think our bodies cells replenish themselves every seven years. As I'm 26, that means I now living inside "me number 3". In two years time, I will be "me number 4". [I just hope it's not as bad as the fourth indinia jones movie.] however, on the day to day level, we are not aware of it beyond the aging process so we percieve our sense of self as continious and build a legal system round that. the concept of "self" still corresponds to a physical object, even if that object is changing from the inside.

But I get your point that the subjective awareness of self and the physical self are not the same.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Then there would be two clones and maybe one clone would murder somebody else and then commit suicide, or kill the other clone to hush it up, but then other people will be making clones as well to cover up different crimes so it would all get very complicated!
Somebody get Terry Gilliam on the phone!