• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus GOD?

confusedius

The Shadow
If Christ was not God then the gospels are a fraud. The bible clearly states that Christ is God. Assuming the writings are true, you are wrong.

Writings done a few hundred years after the fact, and then honed to the wishes of the religious politicians. And, for every scripture you can quote for your position, one can be quoted that refutes it. Jesus himself refuted it.

james

free spirit

Writings done a few hundred years after the fact, and then honed to the wishes of the religious politicians. And, for every scripture you can quote for your position, one can be quoted that refutes it. Jesus himself refuted it.

james

We read in John 20:24-29, "But Thomas, one of the twelve, called didymus therefore were saying to him. "we have seen the Lord!' but he said to them, ' unless I shall see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.' and after eight days again His disciples were inside, and Thomas with them, Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst, and said, 'Peace be with you' then He said to Thomas, 'reach here your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand, and put it into My side; and be not umbelieving, but believing.' Thomas answered and said to Him, 'My Lord and my God!' Jesus said to Him, ' because you have seen me, have you believed? blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.'

Sum1sGruj

Short answer: no

Long answer: There are many different things that tell that Jesus is not God. One would be Jesus being tempted by the Adversary. What would be the point?
Another would be that Jesus is following orders by God, with the knowledge of those orders being imbued to him at birth.
And yet another would be that Jesus does not talk of himself being God, which is probably the most important to note.

This leads me to many conclusions as well as inquiries on common teaching. One worth mentioning: this takes away the idea of a Trinity, so why is it implied so?
I personally do not believe in a trinity, as I believe it is no more necessary as it is practical. When God said "Let us make man in our image", I think He was simply referring to His other angels.

Maury83

People, what is a "god"? It is a supreme beign....Jesus is a god. Satan is called "the god of this sistem of things", does it mean he is God almighty? NO.
Jesus is the son of God and the Bible states it clearly. If you read the original language scripture it reads when translated in English "in the beginning the Word was, and the word was with God and the word was a God"

confusedius

The Shadow
People, what is a "god"? It is a supreme beign....Jesus is a god. Satan is called "the god of this sistem of things", does it mean he is God almighty? NO.
Jesus is the son of God and the Bible states it clearly. If you read the original language scripture it reads when translated in English "in the beginning the Word was, and the word was with God and the word was a God"

Agreed. Without a precise definition there is no way to debate this...

james

muzu

Glory be to Allah
We read in Philippians 2:6-8. "Who, although he existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Philippians 2:6-8 passage contadicts with Isaiah 45:22-24 which reads

22 - "All people everywhere, follow me and be saved. I am God (Yahweh). There is no other God.

23 - I will make a promise by my own power, and my promise is true; what I say will not be changed. I promise that everyone will bow before me and will promise to follow me.

24 - People will say about me, 'Goodness and power come only from the Lord.' "Everyone who has been angry with him will come to him and be ashamed.

The God mentioned above is Yahweh which is none but ALLAH.

Moreover, Paul was aware of this passage, for he quoted it in Romans 14:11. Knowing this, Paul declared,

Ephesians 3:14 - “I kneel before the Father”

The Bible insists that Yahweh alone is to be worshipped. Deuteronomy ch .6, v. 16, reads

“Worship Yahweh your God and serve him only.”

Paul knew that Jesus worshipped God ( Hebrews 5:7), and Paul taught that Jesus will remain forever subservient to God (1 Corinthians, ch. 15, v. 28).

Also Paul writes in "1 Timothy ch. 6, vv. 15-16" which reads

"God the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and the Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see". :yes:

Last edited:

muzu

Glory be to Allah
The ONLY time the New Testament has made me stop and think, "wait a minute, could Jesus really be God" is at the end of the Gospel of Matthew in which he says - "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age."

However, then I realize that there is a strong possibility this could have been added much later to confirm trinitarian views. I doubt it because no where else in the gospels is a similar statement uttered. Also, maybe to justify it, I don't think it necessarily means he's God anyway. Jesus obviously had divinity to him from God, which is why he was able to do the things he did. Maybe since he went through the crucifixion as God did, Jesus received sort of a "promotion"? Who knows. However, it still remains that Jesus never once called himself God (probably would have been crucified a whole lot faster if that was the case).

I agree with you.. Mathew 28:18-20 reads

"All authority (from GOD) has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go therefore and make disciples of people of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

I wonder if Jesus was God or manifested God (as some of you said here) then how can God say that GOD had given him authority? Does it make sense?

Just_me_Mike

If you have have eyes to see, then see. If you have ears to hear, then hear.

The bible says Jesus, the Holy Ghost, and God are all the same God. Yet the bible declares there is only one God. A grave mistake is to rush to judgment about the nature of God, letting our pride get in the way.

Muslims declare this can not be true, some other Abrahamic faiths declare it is not true.

What is it to you, if the infinite God does not reveal all his mysteries to you? Will you let your pride bury you in your arrogance?

free spirit

Yes Jesus is God.
Some things are hard to explain because if we want to understand them we will have to do some spiritual gymnastic.

As we all know the Word of God is Jesus, He was in the beginning with God: therefore God and His word had an equal beginning if there ever was a beginning.
Also the word of God is the first born of all creation; Yes because until God spoke and revealed himself, His word was hidden in himself, just Like your unspoken thought. So God without His active thoughts is a dead God; as you know thought are compiled by words and the Word is Jesus. Therefore if there was no Word neither would there be any God or life in the universe. Thus Jesus is God as John 1:1- 4. clearly points Him out to be.

Jesus is also a man; because the Word was made flesh, that is to say that the Word of God give life to the seed of the woman therefore the word of God become a man in flesh and blood and like all men He was also subject to pain, hunger, anger, happiness, temptation and death, He was truely like all other men. Therefore while Jesus was in the flesh He was not God, but He was the exact rapresentation of the Father, this is obvious because God or the Father cannot be tempted or die.

However, Jesus as a man died sinless therefore He fulfilled His mission, His mission was to fulfill the law and thus reverse what Adam did.

Now, Jesus the word that partook of the flesh of man and died sinless was glorified by God as we read in ACTS2:33, "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear."

So Jesus the man "having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit" in other words Jesus the man has inherited God.
But that is not all, because we all should know that God loves humanity so much that we also can become heirs of God and joint heir with Christ if we believe and obey Him.

I hope you can believe and understand that Jesus or the Word of God is the beginning and the end, therefore He is God blessed forever amen.

Last edited:

free spirit

If Jesus was God (and you say you gathered this frm the Bible, so you believe in the Bible) explain the following verses:

John 14:28 The explanetion is found in John 14:6- 10. where we read among other things, "Jesus said to him, 'Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'show us the Father." In other words if you truly know Jesus you will know the Father.

Matthew 7:21 The explanetion is found in Matthew 7:22-29, We should allways read the scriptures in context because God in his wisdom puts the answer under our noses.

Matthew 4:3 The explanetion is again found in Matthew 4:4, Jesus answered the temptation of the devil as a man.

Matthew 4:10 again Jesus answered the temptation of the devil as a man because while He was in the flesh He was a man like you and me.

John 17:3 This werse has the answer in itself for we read "And this is eternal life, that they may know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent." in other words eternal life is in knowing Jesus Christ.

John 20:17 Here Jesus is answering as a man that has yet to inherit God.

John 3:16 The answer is in the verse, here God has put Jesus in front of himself.

These verses are undeniable, they are written in English and they leave no room for interpretation.

Your problem is that you cannot see that God has come in the flesh, therefore you cannot see that God is Lord and saviour, King and priest, God and servant, He will also become your heavenly Father and your heavenly Brother if you overcome the test.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Ok, all this is very emotionally inspiring and all, but none of these verses prove a blessed thing(pun intended)! It seems that y'all are really reaching, sometimes twisting words and/or taking them out of context to make them seem to conform to what you want them to mean, however, taken in context, none of these show Jesus claiming to be a god of any type.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
If you have have eyes to see, then see. If you have ears to hear, then hear.

The bible says Jesus, the Holy Ghost, and God are all the same God. Yet the bible declares there is only one God. A grave mistake is to rush to judgment about the nature of God, letting our pride get in the way.

Muslims declare this can not be true, some other Abrahamic faiths declare it is not true.

What is it to you, if the infinite God does not reveal all his mysteries to you? Will you let your pride bury you in your arrogance?
The problem here is that you are placing your faith in what men have told you. Read these passages with an open and un-biased mind, and in context, and you will see that it isn't pride getting in the way, it's good reading comprehension skills! ;)

free spirit

Ok, all this is very emotionally inspiring and all, but none of these verses prove a blessed thing(pun intended)! It seems that y'all are really reaching, sometimes twisting words and/or taking them out of context to make them seem to conform to what you want them to mean, however, taken in context, none of these show Jesus claiming to be a god of any type.

Yes but how do you see the following verses in John 14:6- 10. where we read among other things, "Jesus said to him, 'Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'show us the Father." In other words I believe that if you truly know Jesus you will know the Father.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Yes but how do you see the following verses in John 14:6- 10. where we read among other things, "Jesus said to him, 'Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'show us the Father." In other words I believe that if you truly know Jesus you will know the Father.

Ok, but where does Jesus ever say " I am God incarnate" ? I think people are really reaching in saying that Jesus(if he even really existed) was divine. He made many statements along the lines of him having a direct link to his god, but nowhere does he ever say that he IS God! He basically presents himself as God's representative on Earth, not as God incarnate!

Last edited:

free spirit

Ok, but where does Jesus ever say " I am God incarnate" ? I think people are really reaching in saying that Jesus(if he even really existed) was divine. He made many statements along the lines of him having a direct link to his god, but nowhere does he ever say that he IS God! He basically presents himself as God's representative on Earth, not as God incarnate!

You are correct while He was on Earth He did not ever say that, but we read in the book of Revelation 1:8, "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

By what you wrote in your post above I can see that you have no faith, therefore it is impossible for you to see or understand, because faith is the key that let you in on the things of God.
It is hard to walk the Way of God even for those who have faith, for We read in Revelation 3:18-19, "I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich, and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; be zealous therefore, and repent."

Jacksnyte

Reverend
You are correct while He was on Earth He did not ever say that, but we read in the book of Revelation 1:8, "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

By what you wrote in your post above I can see that you have no faith, therefore it is impossible for you to see or understand, because faith is the key that let you in on the things of God.
It is hard to walk the Way of God even for those who have faith, for We read in Revelation 3:18-19, "I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire, that you may become rich, and white garments, that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes, that you may see.Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; be zealous therefore, and repent."

Actually, I have no problem with faith. I do have a problem with blind faith, specially when it is based on an obvious(and possibly purposeful) misinterperetation of a book of questionable origin to begin with. I do understand what you are saying, though. I was a Christian for many years, and am well-versed in Christian doctrine from various denominations. The problem is that I refuse to just believe unsupportable assertions based on someone's misinterperetations. Why would I believe that Jesus was God if even he never claimed to be? The things he claimed in the stories have been claimed by various individuals for milennia. What he asserts in these passages is much the same as has been asserted by various gurus, lamas, saints, from many years before Jesus allegedly walked the Earth, until the present day.

free spirit

Actually, I have no problem with faith. I do have a problem with blind faith, specially when it is based on an obvious(and possibly purposeful) misinterperetation of a book of questionable origin to begin with. I do understand what you are saying, though. I was a Christian for many years, and am well-versed in Christian doctrine from various denominations. The problem is that I refuse to just believe unsupportable assertions based on someone's misinterperetations. Why would I believe that Jesus was God if even he never claimed to be? The things he claimed in the stories have been claimed by various individuals for milennia. What he asserts in these passages is much the same as has been asserted by various gurus, lamas, saints, from many years before Jesus allegedly walked the Earth, until the present day.

"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline;"
For Him to reveal himself with the above things to you and in you: you will have to have overcome the test of faith. Only then you will know what you are dealing with.
Believe is something or anything you understand to be true. Blind believe leads to disaster for a blind cannot lead the blind
Faith is the things you do according to that believe. Believe without works is dead.

Last edited:

Jacksnyte

Reverend
"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline;"
For Him to reveal himself with the above things to you and in you: you will have to have overcome the test of faith. Only then you will know what you are dealing with.
Believe is something or anything you understand to be true. Blind believe leads to disaster for a blind cannot lead the blind
Faith is the things you do according to that believe. Believe without works is dead.

Ok, that really doesn't make sense.

free spirit

Ok, that really doesn't make sense.

You are correct superficially it doesn't make sense.
But have you considered the writings of ISAIAH 55:6-9 for among other things we read, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts. Neither are your ways My ways,declares the Lord."

Jacksnyte

Reverend
You are correct superficially it doesn't make sense.
But have you considered the writings of ISAIAH 55:6-9 for among other things we read, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts. Neither are your ways My ways,declares the Lord."

Ok, so do you believe that God creates evil? He definitely said that he did!