• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to successfully debate religious fundamentalists?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Explain how fundamentalist's are wrong. They are only dishonest if they are wrong.

Quantrill

Try reading for comprehension. I said fundamentalism disallows the possibility of being wrong. That is an inherently dishonest attitude and position to come from. Nobody is ever right all the time. If you think you are, you are lying - to yourself and others.

Now, of course, the type of person who invests their whole identity and ego in the idea that their intepretation of a book is 100% true and correct cannot be convinced to even consider that they may be wrong. I don't bother with pointless tasks such as talking to rocks. However, this doesn't change the fact that fundamentalism is inherently dishonest.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Try reading for comprehension. I said fundamentalism disallows the possibility of being wrong. That is an inherently dishonest attitude and position to come from. Nobody is ever right all the time. If you think you are, you are lying - to yourself and others.

Now, of course, the type of person who invests their whole identity and ego in the idea that their intepretation of a book is 100% true and correct cannot be convinced to even consider that they may be wrong. I don't bother with pointless tasks such as talking to rocks. However, this doesn't change the fact that fundamentalism is inherently dishonest.

While it may be intellectually dishonest on the surface, it is closer to ignorance.

I believe many folks could pass a lie detector on these issues.

If they could do that, there is no way they are personally being dishonest.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
While it may be intellectually dishonest on the surface, it is closer to ignorance.

I believe many folks could pass a lie detector on these issues.

If they could do that, there is no way they are personally being dishonest.

Yes, I was speaking about fundamentalism in general - the attitude and behaviors that grow out of a perspective of unquestioning assumption. I'm sure there are many people who honestly believe all sorts of crazy things in the world. They're in this unfortunate position, however, because the shell of ignorance imposed on them was rooted in the inherently dishonest view that someone's assumptions were not allowed to be questioned.

Quantrill

Yeah, until you consider that there are Islam fundamentalists.

And atheist fundamentalists.

And {insert belief system here} fundamentalists.

makes you seem rather desperate to play the part of the martyr, doesn't it?

Well, Im a Christian. And, as I said, it sounds like nothing but being a Christian to me. Im not much concerned with islam.

What martyr?

Quantrill

Quantrill

because their are not Jewish and Islamic creationist? nor do all Christian Jews and Muslims believe in creationism. stop putting words in my mouth.

Its false because of all the evidence against it and because of all the lack of evidence for it...
I can not prove your god does not exist, but i can disprove/show that creationism is false.

The worst part is all the claims creationist make about evolution that are not true, and then refuse to learn and listen, now that's fundamentalism.

also i only gave an example of one form of dishonest fundamentalism. creationist that refuse to listen and learn what evolution actualy states, now this doesn't nessacarly include all creationist though it very well might but it certainly does include all theist (those were your words not mine)

Finally (some) creationist behave in (in America at least) unconstitutional behavior, trying to force their ideas onto others and into schools.

Of course tons of evidence and facts mean nothing right? God put those fossils their to **** with us? The devil breaks into science labs and alters genetic test to show common decent? (not that you said those things)

Could you even make a case for creationism with out your holy book?

You can prove God did not create the universe or earth and the heavens? Go ahead.

Quantrill

Quantrill

I don't think that a literal interpretation of genesis is required to be a christian. But we don't call it false simply because we don't believe in it. We call it false because logic and evidence shows that it's false.

Like I said, you call it falsehood because you don't believe it.

Quantrill

Quantrill

Try reading for comprehension. I said its only dishonest if they are wrong. If we are not wrong then its not dishonest. Do you see?

Quantrill

Quantrill

You can prove he did? go ahead.

The question was put to one who said he could prove God did not create the universe. So, Im waiting.

I never claimed to be able to prove to you that God created the univese. So, pay a little closer attention.

Quantrill

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
You can prove God did not create the universe or earth and the heavens? Go ahead.

Quantrill
oh man you got me..... its impossible to prove a negative i guess this means god exist.......:facepalm:....... i can demonstrate that God did not do many of the other things he is contributed too, i can offer other explanations to explain it....ones that agree with all current evidence. I can show that the other gaps god hid in are now filled with actual facts.

I do not have to disprove your hypothesis, i just have to prove mine and turn them into theories. yours falls flat on its face with all the evidence we have already. tomorrow is going to make you cry.

you sure do love your god of the gaps man.... gods the gap in your ability to reason and listen.

as per the martyr you are the one who turned this into an attack on you and your religion, not I.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The question was put to one who said he could prove God did not create the universe. So, Im waiting.

I never claimed to be able to prove to you that God created the univese. So, pay a little closer attention.

Quantrill
Fair enough.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

Quantrill
i never said that, can you quote me.

Quantrill

oh man you got me..... its impossible to prove a negative i guess this means god exist.......:facepalm:....... i can demonstrate that God did not do many of the other things he is contributed too, i can offer other explanations to explain it....ones that agree with all current evidence. I can show that the other gaps god hid in are now filled with actual facts.

I do not have to disprove your hypothesis, i just have to prove mine and turn them into theories. yours falls flat on its face with all the evidence we have already. tomorrow is going to make you cry.

you sure do love your god of the gaps man.... gods the gap in your ability to reason and listen.

as per the martyr you are the one who turned this into an attack on you and your religion, not I.

Good. Glad we cleared that up. Must have been the euphoria of the moment.

Quantrill