• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to explain darshan?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For this discussion, the meaning of darshan that I'm referring to is the spiritual energy surrounding a holy person, a temple, etc. and not the other common meaning of 'sight'.

I've tried, but perhaps all efforts are futile, because it's like trying to explain an experience that the other person hasn't had. So I use analogies, and they often don't work.

One analogy is like scent. I get hungry because Boss is cookin' up some really good rice and curry. So I go to the kitchen to check it out, and she says it'll be another 20 minutes, which only makes me hungrier.

Another analogy is fresh air, or moisture in the air. You go for a walk in a forest, and it feels good. You're not really aware of why or how but when you come out of that forest back onto the polluted streets of the city, you do notice a palpable letdown.

Another analogy is pheromones, particularly those causing arousal. I remember watching the boys 'hover' around a girl in grade 9. She had them hooked, and she didn't have to do anything, say anything, but just stand around looking pretty. Innocent creatures, they were hooked. She could have said, 'Would you carry my books?" and several volunteers would have jumped at the opportunity.

So when I try to explain darshan in this way, I get ... "Oh that's all in your imagination. There is no God, Whatever it is can't give off some sort of energy. It's a load of BS!"

So ... other than waiting for that person to have that experience, is there any possible way it could be explained. Have you ever been able to convince anyone?

People without said experience, or atheists, need not answer.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, hopefully, I will always be the first to answer your questions. Yeah, I have that experience, I was a theist half my life (78/2). You see, Gods and Goddesses spread the wibe to the believers. It is not a material force like the four or five in nature. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, hopefully, I will always be the first to answer your questions. Yeah, I have that experience, I was a theist half my life (78/2). You see, Gods and Goddesses spread the wibe to the believers. It is not a material force like the four or five in nature. :)
I didn't ask if you'd felt it. Lots of people feel it. I asked how would you explain it? Don't enlightened folks know how to read?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Though it is difficult but I will make a try. It is as it you have a 12 volt live wire between your teeth. Suddenly, as if, there is nothing else in the world. That is the best I can do. Felt the same when I became an atheist.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Though it is difficult but I will make a try. It is as it you have a 12 volt live wire between your teeth. Suddenly, as if, there is nothing else in the world. That is the best I can do. Felt the same when I became an atheist.
I like that. Thanks. I'll try it some time, and then most likely add it to my list of failed analogies.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Darshan is the eyes of the deity falling on me, which makes me get the feeling, "I'm here for you, to see you, because you are important to me, you make me happy!".

It is a sense of bliss, that has a combination of joy and peace.

It gives the feeling of having performed an enjoyable duty, and leaves me with a feeling of satisfaction in performing it well and on-time.

Also when the deity is well dressed as in special 'Alankaram' or when adored through abhishekam, it gives the pleasure of having witnessed he/she being revered by others as well. Which is supreme joy.

(I tried my best!)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve had a feeling of peace and well-being wash over me, a feeling of being enveloped. It is hard to explain, if not impossible. It’s like someone trying to explain a scent to me because I have no sense of smell. It’s something that has to be experienced.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Darshan is the eyes of the deity falling on me, which makes me get the feeling, "I'm here for you, to see you, because you are important to me, you make me happy!".

It is a sense of bliss, that has a combination of joy and peace.

It gives the feeling of having performed an enjoyable duty, and leaves me with a feeling of satisfaction in performing it well and on-time.

Also when the deity is well dressed as in special 'Alankaram' or when adored through abhishekam, it gives the pleasure of having witnessed he/she being revered by others as well. Which is supreme joy.

(I tried my best!)
I get that, because I've experienced it. But do you think anyone who hadn't had any experience similar to these would have an inkling of understanding of the feeling we might be talking about, or would they just be shaking their heads wondering why we're going on about some vivid imagination we have.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I get that, because I've experienced it. But do you think anyone who hadn't had any experience similar to these would have an inkling of understanding of the feeling we might be talking about, or would they just be shaking their heads wondering why we're going on about some vivid imagination we have.

I have tried explaining it to a friend, not exactly about darshan, but about spirituality.

No matter what I stated as valid points that would make her a 'believer', as in narrating about a few dreams of deities or when my wishes were fulfilled immediately, she denounced it all calling 'Placebo effect'.

Which leaves me with the feeling, believers are believers and dis-believers are dis-believers.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have tried explaining it to a friend, not exactly about darshan, but about spirituality.

No matter what I stated as valid points that would make her a 'believer', as in narrating about a few dreams of deities or when my wishes were fulfilled immediately, she denounced it all calling 'Placebo effect'.

Which leaves me with the feeling, believers are believers and dis-believers are dis-believers.
Thanks for your insight.

I have a close friend who finds it puzzling from the other side. He believes me when I share experiences, but he's never had one, and often wonders why it hasn't happened to him. I have no idea what to say.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I suspect you're right. The corollary is how to deal with folks who want to argue YOUR experience. Or should we plainly ignore them?

I don’t think we can do anything but ignore them. Otherwise we’re reduced to this.

upload_2021-6-15_16-56-34.gif

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don’t think we can do anything but ignore them. Otherwise we’re reduced to this.

View attachment 51531

There are days when I feel so incredibly blessed. The darshan gets strong. Gurudeva spoke of consistent sadhana building it up, and I don't think I truly cognized that until Covid happened. I started entering my shrine room, and when I got restless, I'd ask, "What exactly are the better things you have to do?" These days I cognize it.

Yesterday we had a dear friend over, and she independently confirmed my suspicions. It's like when you see a growing kid after a period of two years. You notice the growth, but with your own kid, because you see them every day, it's not that noticeable.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I get restless when I don't get my promised daily single cigarette (I am reduced to that by circumstances). :)

Vinayaka, another try. Perhaps it can be likened to a balloon (heart) being filled with air (happiness).
Edit - after 4 hours: ..and then it bursts. :D

Last edited:

ajay0

For this discussion, the meaning of darshan that I'm referring to is the spiritual energy surrounding a holy person, a temple, etc. and not the other common meaning of 'sight'.

As per Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, being in the company of an enlightened person raises the prana or chi in oneself, which is useful in terms of better meditation.

So we are automatically brought to a meditative state in the company of an enlightened master, and this could be the reason for the feelings of bliss and peace we perceive. Of course, if we took the initiative to meditate in the presence of an enlightened one, the results would be better. This increase in chi also explains healing experiences by some in the presence of a master.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As per Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, being in the company of an enlightened person raises the prana or chi in oneself, which is useful in terms of better meditation.

So we are automatically brought to a meditative state in the company of an enlightened master, and this could be the reason for the feelings of bliss and peace we perceive. Of course, if we took the initiative to meditate in the presence of an enlightened one, the results would be better. This increase in chi also explains healing experiences by some in the presence of a master.
The question was, 'Is it possible to EXPLAIN darshan (to someone who has never experienced it), not to perceive it.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
There's a theory that the structure of a building somehow absorbs the spiritual vibes, or has some kind of "memory". It sounds a bit new-agey, but maybe there's something in it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There's a theory that the structure of a building somehow absorbs the spiritual vibes, or has some kind of "memory". It sounds a bit new-agey, but maybe there's something in it?

I think there is. The darshan (vibration) of a temple is built (in part) by the collective devotion of the attendees. Twice now, at two different temples, I've heard priests comment on how the darshan has been reduced from Covid. Not from Covid itself, but from the lack of devotees. God, in the mystical form, sees you clearer than you see Him, and just as a person lightens up when a long time friend comes to visit after an extended period, God lights up. I can practically see Him smile.

"He's waiting for you."

As to buildings, I've been around a couple that have given me the absolute creeps. One was an old brick residential school in my city, and with the latest news about that in Canada, little wonder it gave me the creeps.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I think there is. The darshan (vibration) of a temple is built (in part) by the collective devotion of the attendees. Twice now, at two different temples, I've heard priests comment on how the darshan has been reduced from Covid. Not from Covid itself, but from the lack of devotees. God, in the mystical form, sees you clearer than you see Him, and just as a person lightens up when a long time friend comes to visit after an extended period, God lights up. I can practically see Him smile.

"He's waiting for you."

As to buildings, I've been around a couple that have given me the absolute creeps. One was an old brick residential school in my city, and with the latest news about that in Canada, little wonder it gave me the creeps.

I often want to touch the walls of buildings, particularly ancient monuments. There's a sort of connection, or a sense of the history, but it's difficult to articulate.