• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to explain darshan?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I often want to touch the walls of buildings, particularly ancient monuments. There's a sort of connection, or a sense of the history, but it's difficult to articulate.

I do too, but it varies on the building. Some I definitely don't want to touch. I've been in several of the ancient (1000 years plus) stone temples in South India, and for sure I wanted to touch the pillars. Some have steps up a hill, or steps up to the main sanctum area, and many of the devotees will touch each step as they enter. At Palani Hills Murugan temple, devotees will light small bits of camphor, and put one on each step as the go up, lighting each piece from the one below it. (687 steps)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I suspect you're right. The corollary is how to deal with folks who want to argue YOUR experience. Or should we plainly ignore them?
People may get this alpha or delta state (whatever science calls it) by anything, nature, some reading, darhan or prayer, etc. I accept that theist get this feeling, I too have experienced it. But these feelings are not always truth, as some people are fooled by their devotion to fake gurus.

In Hindu temples, you can touch anything except that in the deities chamber (Garbhagriha). They have been touched by billions since they were constructed. In many temples you can even touch the deity's idol or lingam. The Kashi Vishwanath temple is an example. They have institutionalized 'sparsh darshan' (darshan with touching). Open to all castes and women, no discrimination.

kashivishwanathtemple-1571828551-1578894450.jpg

Last edited: