• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to be hindu and buddist at the same time?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

Some individuals might say 'no' because Hinduism affirms Ātman whereas Buddhism does not. In reality, Ātman (and Brahman) are concepts in a Classical Hindu philosophy known as Vedānta. Vedānta and Hinduism are not one and the same.

I think it is feasible to worship the God of Abraham and follow the Hindu way of life at the same time, but I personally don't know how one would reconcile Buddhism with that. One could always follow the teachings of the Dhammapada while not fully committing to Buddhism.

DNB

Christian
Of course not. One is called Hinduism while the other is called Buddhism, because they are different and not the same. There is a reason for the distinction, otherwise they would have evolved into one over-arching religion - but they haven't.
Therefore, if one's adheres to the precepts and principles of both, you have now syncretized the two and are required to call it something other than either Buddhism or Hinduism, for it is neither.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Aupmanyav is probably your man for this. :)
While there are similarities, there are also important differences. For example, Buddhism teaches about anatta and shunyata, while Hinduism teaches about Atman and Brahman.
Advaita Hinduism accepts ''Anicca' completely. What it does not accept is 'complete shunyata' and accepts Brahman as the basic building block for all things in the universe. But then, Buddha too was against nihilism, though he did not define it. He felt no need to define it.
Buddhism itself in considered Nastika by Hinduism.
Buddhism was considered 'nastika' by Hindu theists of the yore. Atheism and apatheism has always been part of Hindu philosophies - Hindu atheism - Wikipedia. Conceptions have changed.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Of course not. One is called Hinduism while the other is called Buddhism, because they are different and not the same. There is a reason for the distinction, otherwise they would have evolved into one over-arching religion - but they haven't.
Therefore, if one's adheres to the precepts and principles of both, you have now syncretized the two and are required to call it something other than either Buddhism or Hinduism, for it is neither.
I see no problem if Buddhists want to remain Buddhists and Hindus want to remain Hindus, though their views may be the same. What's in a name? :)

DNB

Christian
No, of course not. However, they're not so different that their beliefs have to be incompatible with each other.
That can be said about any religion, if your reduce them down to their lowest common denominators. Judaism and Islam are extremely similar, but try telling either a Jew or Muslim that either there's only an insignificant difference between the two religions, or that they're one and the same.

You can't be both!

DNB

Christian
Depends of a person's belief. For me, they are the same. Buddha made the 'Dharma' wheel turn. Good thing.
There are no two religions that are synonymous, not if anyone actually understands or cares about the respective tenets or their convictions.
You cannot be two different religions at the same time. You are either one or the other, or a hybrid that requires a different classification.

DNB

Christian
No. Buddhism does not accept the Vedas, nor does it accept Atman, nor does it accept Ishvara.
Thank you crossfire, ....that does underscore my point.
I felt that it was rather obvious either way, without knowing the specifics. I've seen enough Christian denominations to understand where and how the factions start, that despite the similarities, we comprehend that there is always an incompatibility that prohibits the two sects to unite.
No two religions are the same, let alone the factions within each.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That can be said about any religion, if your reduce them down to their lowest common denominators. Judaism and Islam are extremely similar, but try telling either a Jew or Muslim that either there's only an insignificant difference between the two religions, or that they're one and the same.

You can't be both!

I still say its too vast to count for every case. You have countless Hindu sects believing different things. I am not as knowledgeable on Buddhism, but I'm going to guess there's a lot of variance between sects, as well. To say it never could connect anywhere.... well, that would be an awful lot of knowledge to pick up in one lifetime.

Dharmic religions aren't quite the same as Abrahamic religions. It isn't really this or that, and we don't tend to fight about our differences for the most part.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Advaita Hinduism accepts ''Anicca' completely. What it does not accept is 'complete shunyata' and accepts Brahman as the basic building block for all things in the universe. But then, Buddha too was against nihilism, though he did not define it. He felt no need to define it.
Buddhism was considered 'nastika' by Hindu theists of the yore. Atheism and apatheism has always been part of Hindu philosophies - Hindu atheism - Wikipedia. Conceptions have changed.

Again with your secular atheist agenda, which invariably leads to misrepresentation.

Last edited: