• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is it possible for a woman not to cover her hair and remain a good muslim?

Princeps Eugenius

Is it possible? If yes, then how do you justify your point in light of tradition? If no, how do you view muslimas who dont wear a hijab?

cocolia42

Is it possible? If yes, then how do you justify your point in light of tradition? If no, how do you view muslimas who dont wear a hijab?
I think it depends on the situation. Why is she not wearing hijab? If she understands that she is required to wear hijab, and she has no excuse other than she doesn't want to wear it, then I think that's bad. But if she doesn't understand it to be required or she sincerely wants to wear the hijab but has an excuse such fearing for her life, and so she repents, then that's not bad.
But I would not go so far as to say anyone is a bad Muslim. Committing a sin doesn't necessarily make you a bad Muslim. It's a constant journey.

Princeps Eugenius

I think it depends on the situation. Why is she not wearing hijab? If she understands that she is required to wear hijab, and she has no excuse other than she doesn't want to wear it, then I think that's bad. But if she doesn't understand it to be required or she sincerely wants to wear the hijab but has an excuse such fearing for her life, and so she repents, then that's not bad.
But I would not go so far as to say anyone is a bad Muslim. Committing a sin doesn't necessarily make you a bad Muslim. It's a constant journey.
there are many girls who i went to school with and also our former neighbor of turkish decent, who were muslims but didnt wear any hijab. one of the girls was even a daugther of a mullah in a local mosque! i think they so much liked not wearing hijab at home that they decided to continue doing so while outside. but it made me wonder how they can be muslim and go against islamic teaching in such a way. thats almost like being muslim and not doing the praying or observing ramadan. or am i wrong?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
...but it made me wonder how they can be muslim and go against islamic teaching in such a way. thats almost like being muslim and not doing the praying or observing ramadan. or am i wrong?

It's actually different. wearing hijab is a teaching that does not have a punishment and leaving it does not hurt the bases of being a Muslim. Performing prayer (the five daily prayers only) and fasting Ramadan are two of the basics (pillars) of Islam and they are part of defining being a Muslim.

cocolia42

there are many girls who i went to school with and also our former neighbor of turkish decent, who were muslims but didnt wear any hijab. one of the girls was even a daugther of a mullah in a local mosque! i think they so much liked not wearing hijab at home that they decided to continue doing so while outside. but it made me wonder how they can be muslim and go against islamic teaching in such a way. thats almost like being muslim and not doing the praying or observing ramadan. or am i wrong?
We have free will for a reason. We cannot be forced to do something, we cannot be forced to believe something and we cannot be forced to understand something by someone else's understanding. That's part of Islam. We are commanded to ponder over the avat of Allah, we are to continuously seek knowledge, and we are not to blindly follow any teachings, even the teachings of the scholars. I can't look at a woman and come to the conclusion that she doesn't wear hijab simply because she is defiant. It is possible she doesn't believe it. And that's between her and Allah.
If not doing something that you're supposed to do (or doing something you're not supposed to do) makes you a bad Muslim, then every Muslim is a bad Muslim because we all sin. A good Muslim is someone who makes a sincere effort to learn, understand and implement Islam, but you don't wake up one morning knowing, understanding and doing everything perfectly. It's a lot of work. That's why we have our whole lives to work on it. Maybe that girl had something bigger to work at the time and fixing her hijab was not the top priority.
The only way I can think of someone as a bad Muslim is if they make absolutely no effort to follow Islam. But if that were the case, they would have abandoned the prayer and that takes you out of Islam, so they wouldn't be Muslim anyway.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
cover the head is no guage of good Muslimah or not , it's cover her sexy parts of her body , don't seduce the others , which more important than hair for my opinion .

this is what i mean :

it's bad for Muslimah to seduce men by her body ,that's sin .

in end
Good or bad Muslimah that's individual opinion .

Servant_of_the_One1

Its a disobeyement of Allah's command regarding Hijab.

How can a muslimah be on the straight path and follow guidance if she disobeys the command of Allah to wear veil??

But i believe even Kuffar disbelievers can have good morality.

There is difference between Good morality and following Guidance.

In my honest opinion a muslimah who follows guidance can never ignore Allah's command to wear Hijaab.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

No, it's not the same as not praying and not fasting. The five pillars of Islam are:
- The deceleration that there is none but only one God
- Praying
- Fasting
- Paying Zakat (charity)
- Performing Hajj (pilgrimage) for those who are able to do so--physically and financially.

If a Muslim acknowledge the above five then he/she is a Muslim. One who don't believe nor perform the above is not a Muslim.

Now when it comes to Hijab, it's compulsory to do so, but those who don't do it are sinners, but that doesn't make them good Muslims or bad Muslims. It just make them Muslims who sin, like any other Muslim who do other acts of sin. That's the general ruling.

Nevertheless, if you are asking whether they are justified or not on their decision not to wear the hijab it depends on whether she fear for her life, etc because then it's a different issue. So, we are talking here about a total free choice.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
All Muslims sin apart from Prophets, that is the consensus of every single Muslim. Sins are categorized as major and minor. The Hijab is a direct command from Allah in the Qur'an so it does have it's special place in a womans life. To not wear the Hijab is a sin, but it doesn't make one a bad Muslim. We are a people who strive to be good but from time to time we do sin.

What is bad and makes one a non-Muslim is saying that the Hijab is not mandatory when it is clearly stated otherwise in the Qur'an.

Moreover, a persons obedience and disobedience to Allah relies on their faith. If ones faith is weak they are more likely to sin. And it is very well known that a Muslims faith is sometimes strong and sometimes weak. If you acknowledge that the Hijab is mandatory but don't have that kick to wear it, then you should try to strengthen your faith and you will realize that you should have worn it a very long time ago. This is called repentance and Allah accepts the repentance of a sincere heart.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
There is a real problem with not wearing Hijab, as @Gharib said, it is a command clearly commanded by Allah in the Quran itself...

Then, it is a sin committed openly in front of the members of the Ummah, who see how one of their Ummah is openly neglecting the the commands of Allah...

Then, insisting to commit one sin, may leads to committing others...

Also, she may encourage other women to follow her steps...

And, not wearing Hijab may change how she lives without even she notices that...it may has effects of her circle of friends...

And Also, not wearing Hijab may send wrong unintended signals to some deviant members of the Ummah...

Wasp

All Muslims sin apart from Prophets, that is the consensus of every single Muslim.
No, it's not. Some Muslims believe the prophets also sinned.

I don't know if they can be good Muslims while not wearing hijab. But I think it's likely they aren't and won't be very good Muslims.