• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it okay for a school to do this?

Nymphs

lol, every day I am more convinced that school administrators everywhere think it is a competition to out-dumb their peers.

Couldn't agree more. I just don't understand the mentality of many elementary, junior and high schools. Maybe I've been out too long.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think schools are in no-win situations. They probably knew full well that they'd get a bunch of angry letters from some conservatives about not abiding by the dress code for the photos, if they left them as is. So no matter what you do, somebody gets upset.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I think schools are in no-win situations. They probably knew full well that they'd get a bunch of angry letters from some conservatives about not abiding by the dress code for the photos, if they left them as is. So no matter what you do, somebody gets upset.
Looking at the example in the link, I doubt any conservatives would be up in arms. Thousands upon thousands of students have similar pictures all over the country with nay a whisper raised over them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Looking at the example in the link, I doubt any conservatives would be up in arms. Thousands upon thousands of students have similar pictures all over the country with nay a whisper raised over them.

You could be right. I actually don't know. It's been 6 years since I taught, and yes we did get complaints about dress code from conservatives. We erred on the side of caution in many respects, but we were a K-9 not a high school.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see anything improper or risque about the unaltered photos. What kind of dress code did this school have?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's fine for a school to have a dress code but they should have a better method of implementing and enforcing it lol.

kashmir

Regardless if the before pictures were no big deal, apparently sleeveless shirts and low cut shirts are against the dress code and the kids wore them anyway so the photo's were edited and the kids were told their photo's were subject to editing, before hand.

The part about "the before was no big deal" is irrelevant, because it broke the dress code rules.
That is the issue that matters.

On a side note though, some of those shirts were obviously too low cut and if the girl bent over, guys would be able to see their boobs.
Not something I find appropriate for teen girls to be wearing to school and I support the schools dress code 110%.

Nymphs

Regardless if the before pictures were no big deal, apparently sleeveless shirts and low cut shirts are against the dress code and the kids wore them anyway so the photo's were edited and the kids were told their photo's were subject to editing, before hand.

The part about "the before was no big deal" is irrelevant, because it broke the dress code rules.
That is the issue that matters.

On a side note though, some of those shirts were obviously too low cut and if the girl bent over, guys would be able to see their boobs.
Not something I find appropriate for teen girls to be wearing to school and I support the schools dress code 110%.

As far as I can tell, those outfits weren't against any dress code.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Those tops were hardly what I would call decollete. No boobs were on display, from any position.

I do wonder, though, why this dress code isn't enforced. Obviously a number of young women thought nothing of wearing sleeveless or low neckline tops. They were never reprimanded for this and only discovered that someone considered their dress inappropriate after the yearbook came out.
Apparently low cut and sleeveless tops are so commonly worn, without objection from faculty, that it never occurred to the students that they were violating any rules.

Is a regulation not enforced really a regulation? I'm sure there are still laws on the books in places mandating horseless carriages be proceeded by a man on foot waving a warning flag, but are these real, de facto regulations if they're only discovered accidently?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm wondering where opponents of dress codes would draw the line? Most people would agree (I think) that lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Besides the display of skin, dress codes include a lot of other things like t-shirts not promoting gangs, illegal activities, racism, etc. Again, someone has to draw the line on all of it. Because of the prevalence of teenagers to 'test the limits' which is a natural occurrence of growing up, most schools have quite detailed dress codes.

BTW, I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the 'before' pictures, but I did teach, and can say dress codes aren't easy to deal with, and we wasted far too much time discussing it, rather than other more important matters. The kids who did the testing just for testing sake wasted valuable admin time.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Even if this is true, the school still made a mess of it. What pictures were, and were not edited seems completely random. Only some were edited, while others with nearly identical clothing styles were left alone.

kashmir

Maybe the students wore sweaters, until just before picture time.

We don't know the entire story.

That's what I am assuming, it was either that or the school is pretty lenient on the dress code, but didn't want the year book to reflect kids violating the dress code.
Or, considering they showed two different girls wearing the same tops and only one was edited, perhaps some of the girls push the limits on the dress code and someone made sure their photos got a looking over.
That seems like a plausible theory.
Or, various people checked over all the photos and what one passed, a different person did not allow to pass.

Years ago, I would have thought dress codes were ridiculous but now that I am older and read that kids who all had to wear the same outfits, seem to do a little bit better in school.
The thing is, almost from birth, females are in competition with each other, all the down to the color of their shoes.
Remove that from school and its one less bullying thing and/or one less thing for girls to have to worry about.
No jealousy because so and so has the cutest skirt on that day and its the most important subject of the day for all the girls,
or all kids making fun of other kids who cant afford name brand outfits.

Makes perfect sense, I know that's kind of off topic to this schools dress code though.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll bet they didn't edit any of the boys' photos... can they wear tank tops?

brokensymmetry

ground state
Obsessing about 'modesty' in this way sends kids a terrible message anyway. They should get ahold of their sexual fetishization of these kids.