• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it logically possible to doubt everything?

I'm writing an essay for Philosophy on the above topic and I'm very stuck. Does anyone have any ideas or could point me in the direction of some good online resources? Any help would be appreciated more than you could ever know.
Kayleigh

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Ontologically, yes. It can be argued that there are no ontological truths, merely inductions and models with more or less uncertainty.

Francine

doppelgänger;1040642 said:
Ontologically, yes. It can be argued that there are no ontological truths, merely inductions and models with more or less uncertainty.

Doubt is an invitation to think.

Somkid

What exactly did your professor tell you to write about? While doubt is the beginning of reason it can be carried to far to the point it becomes rhetorical. For example if I doubt you exist what is the point in responding to your post and if I did respond to your post and I doubt your existence that means I'm having some sort of mental problem. When people start on this course of doubting my existence I just tell them to give me their money, no one has ever taken me up on that because I obviously exist without a doubt and I will keep their money if they doubt it.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Well, there is Descartes and methodological skepticism: René Descartes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nietzsche took it that last step (where angels fear to tread). From Book III of Will to Power:
"There is thinking: therefore there is something that thinks": this is the upshot of all Descartes' argumentation. But that means positing as "true à priori" our belief in the concept of substance-- that when there is thought there has to be something "that thinks" is simply a formulation of our grammatical custom that adds a doer to every deed. In short, this is not merely the substantiation of a fact but a logical-metaphysical postulate--Along the lines followed by Descartes one does not come upon something absolutely certain but only upon the fact of a very strong belief.

If one reduces the proposition to "There is thinking, therefore there are thoughts," one has produced a mere tautology: and precisely that which is in question, the "reality of thought," is not touched upon--that is, in this form the "apparent reality" of thought cannot be denied. But what Descartes desired was that thought should have, not an apparent reality, but a reality in itself.

The concept of substance is a consequence of the concept of the subject: not the reverse! If we relinquish the soul, "the subject," the precondition for "substance" in general disappears. One acquires degrees of being, one loses that which has being.

Critique of "reality": where does the "more or less real," the gradation of being in which we believe, lead to?--

The degree to which we feel life and power (logic and coherence of experience) gives us our measure of "being", "reality", not appearance.

The subject: this is the term for our belief in a unity underlying all the different impulses of the highest feeling of reality: we understand this belief as the effect of one cause--we believe so firmly in our belief that for its sake we imagine "truth", "reality", substantiality in general.-- "The subject" is the fiction that many similar states in us are the effect of one substratum: but it is we who first created the "similarity" of these states; our adjusting them and making them similar is the fact, not their similarity (--which ought rather to be denied--).

One would have to know what being is, in order to decide whether this or that is real (e.g., "the facts of consciousness"); in the same way, what certainty is, what knowledge is, and the like.-- But since we do not know this, a critique of the faculty of knowledge is senseless: how should a tool be able to criticize itself when it can use only itself for the critique? It cannot even define itself!

A

angellous_evangellous

What exactly did your professor tell you to write about? While doubt is the beginning of reason it can be carried to far to the point it becomes rhetorical. For example if I doubt you exist what is the point in responding to your post and if I did respond to your post and I doubt your existence that means I'm having some sort of mental problem. When people start on this course of doubting my existence I just tell them to give me their money, no one has ever taken me up on that because I obviously exist without a doubt and I will keep their money if they doubt it.

I do the same thing. :D

Most of the stuff we covered in class related to Descartes, I just can't find my notes though. Somehow I've managed just under 1000 words without even looking at a textbook though. I'll do the other 500 later today, I've only just noticed it's so early. Thanks for all your help.
Kayleigh

Ozzie

I'm writing an essay for Philosophy on the above topic and I'm very stuck. Does anyone have any ideas or could point me in the direction of some good online resources? Any help would be appreciated more than you could ever know.
Kayleigh
Only in retrospect.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I had a thought at first when I saw the thread topic...

To doubt everything includes to doubt the doubt you have about everything no?

hi ,guitars cry has it right,Descartes in his "Discouse on method" starts with the idea of doubting everything ,,as his senses lie to him,but the only thing he can't doubt is himself!!and from there he rebuilds reality...cogito ergo sum!!!!...harley davidson