• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it important for you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I notice often in the forum that debunking others faith or belief seem to be important to some people?

Why?
Why do you wish to debunk what others believe?
Can not each religion or spiritual path be truth for those who follow them?

And for Atheists there is nothing else then our universe in this realm we live in, and that is of course fine, let them believe it, it might be the truth for them.

But why do so many want to pull others down?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I can't speak for all, but maybe, because some care? Jesus did talk about a "broad road leading off into destruction, and many go in through it." (Matthew 7:13-14)

And, "only the one doing the will of the Father, will" enter into the Kingdom. Matthew 7:21-23.

Before the war comes. Daniel 2:44.

Ex.: if you saw a tornado coming, the loving thing would be to warn others.
Just something to think about.

Of course, some just like to argue!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I notice often in the forum that debunking others faith or belief seem to be important to some people?

Why?

And for Atheists there is nothing else then our universe in this realm we live in, and that is of course fine, let them believe it, it might be the truth for them.

Everyone should be allowed to believe or disbelieve whatever they want to. That is why God gave us all free will. According to my religion, the faith of no man can be conditioned by anyone except himself.

So even if we believe we are right about our religion, we are not responsible to convince anyone else of that. The most we should ever do is share and answer questions if asked.

Also, I think we should look for things we have in common with other religions and other people and not focus on the differences. For example, my religion shares many of the same teachings as Buddhism.
Buddhism and the Bahá'í Faith

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Everyone should be allowed to believe or disbelieve whatever they want to. That is why God gave us all free will. According to my religion, the faith of no man can be conditioned by anyone except himself.

So even if we believe we are right about our religion, we are not responsible to convince anyone else of that. The most we should ever do is share and answer questions if asked.

Also, I think we should look for things we have in common with other religions and other people and not focus on the differences. For example, my religion shares many of the same teachings as Buddhism.
Buddhism and the Bahá'í Faith

Yes i have noticed that Baha'i has some similarities as Buddhism :) and it is always good to discuss with people from this path you follow :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Why?

I don't know. I haven't had that in person. In person, if talking about Christianity, believers will automatically separate themselves from people "not like them." However unintentional, it buts a barrier to where the person they speak with cannot learn from them because they separate themselves from the get go. My coworker, a devout christian, separated me just by saying that she doesnt agree with LGBTQ and I will go to hell type of thing. Then add, "you know my belief..." as if the insult washes away because its her belief system.

A lot of reasons people (not all atheists) belittle other faiths is because of their experience, bias, political and media views, etc, of these faiths and portray their disagreement to the rest of the people who follow that said religion they accuse. It's a backlash for some and a scapegoat for others.

In person, it's mostly christians that have the problems with "others." I talked with Muslims and they do their prayers, do their thing, and don't seem to care. Buddhists, outside the evangelists one's I had practice with, typically mind their own business.

I do think RF represents a lot of people's thoughts and personality. Things people may not say in person, they don't mind saying it to strangers. That, and you have so many people around the world.... culture clashes tend to help with belittlement as well.

74x12

Why?

I don't want to pull anyone down. Just want them to know the truth. Elijah called down fire from heaven to consume the sacrifice and prove Yah is God alone.

I come in peace. I want fire too but I mean a different One.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes i have noticed that Baha'i has some similarities as Buddhism :) and it is always good to discuss with people from this path you follow :)
One of my favorite teachings of Buddhism is detachment from the world.
That is also a Baha'i teaching, but some Baha'is could learn a few things about detachment from Buddhists. :D

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
One of my favorite teachings of Buddhism is detachment from the world.
That is also a Baha'i teaching, but some Baha'is could learn a few things about detachment from Buddhists. :D

I like Zen Buddhism more specifically compared to other Buddhist forms (but that's just me) but I think at heart, I'm more naturally a Taoist :D

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
When I was an atheist once upon a time, I used to be quite intolerant to other religious beliefs. For some it's a coming of age thing, for others not.

As a Muslim though, for some reason I've been even more drawn to study other religions than before out of genuine passion.

Idk, some people are hostile, it has it's place but isn't a mood to dwell in for too long IMO.

ajay0

Why?

A problem is that belief systems, whether theistic or atheistic, has been used as props or support for the fragile ego.

So obviously a theist will attack those belief systems which conflict with his own, and the same goes for an atheist. Since there is identification of the ego with the said belief system, the defense of the belief system and attacking other belief systemes has a personal tone.

This is natural. The ego or false self is made up of belief systems, which dictates what it should see and discards everything else. This naturally results in conflict.

All this interest in belief systems stems from fear, fear of the emptiness or void within, which one fears to face calmly and equanimously. So one rather identifies with belief systems which proves that one is an atheist, theist, hindu, catholic, bahai or other identity, which are all but props for the ego/false self, and gives it continuity.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A problem is that belief systems, whether theistic or atheistic, has been used as props or support for the fragile ego.

So obviously a theist will attack those belief systems which conflict with his own, and the same goes for an atheist. Since there is identification of the ego with the said belief system, the defense of the belief system and attacking other belief systemes has a personal tone.

This is natural. The ego or false self is made up of belief systems, which dictates what it should see and discards everything else. This naturally results in conflict.

All this interest in belief systems stems from fear, fear of the emptiness or void within, which one fears to face calmly and equanimously. So one rather identifies with belief systems which proves that one is an atheist, theist, hindu, catholic, bahai or other identity, which are all but props for the ego/false self, and gives it continuity.
As a buddhist all i do is to let go of every attachment to this life and its ego to find the void or emtiness, there is no fear in finding it :) it is very peaceful

Earthling

David Henson
Perhaps it's part of the search for truth. When I look for truth I examine all possibilities, even if only briefly, to get the whole picture. A part of that perspective, of possibilities, is that I'm wrong. I'm seeing the picture or part of it wrong. So, it's important for me to consider critical or opposing perspectives. You can't create your own truth, you have to accept truth in general.

The result is that it's as important for me to debunk other perspectives and offer my own up for debunking as well.

Earthling

David Henson
As a buddhist all i do is to let go of every attachment to this life and its ego to find the void or emtiness, there is no fear in finding it :) it is very peaceful

How do you know whether or not that peacefulness isn't the biggest attachment of all?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How do you know whether or not that peacefulness isn't the biggest attachment of all?
Because there is no need to cling to something that is experienced in a moment, the next moment it can be gone. then that moment is gone. all we can do is to live in this moment, not in the past nor in the future.

When one see that all there is, is this moment only, one has no need to attach to it. it become an experience nothing else
In this physical world there is very little peace, but within us there can be totally peaceful and mindfulness without being disturbed by the outside world.

JJ50

Why?

I will always state my views about religious fundamentalism which can be abusive and evil. As a child I was subjected to the very nasty, 'you must be 'saved' or burn in hell', garbage. I have no problem with moderate Christians who aren't biblical literalists, like our own three daughters.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A problem is that belief systems, whether theistic or atheistic, has been used as props or support for the fragile ego. This is natural. The ego or false self is made up of belief systems, which dictates what it should see and discards everything else. This naturally results in conflict.

The ego is a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance. Ego is about self, not about belief systems; belief systems come from others and thus cannot be about self.

I tend to think those who have no belief systems are the ones who have the problem with ego... Their belief is that they do not need any God or religion because there is nothing greater than themselves. Their ego dictates what it should see and discards everything else.

Shantanu

Why?

I try to learn from what others say about their beliefs in order to judge whether I myself am on the right path or whether I need to change myself. This means looking at alternative strategies critically.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
The ego is a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance. Ego is about self, not about belief systems; belief systems come from others and thus cannot be about self.

I tend to think those who have no belief systems are the ones who have the problem with ego... Their belief is that they do not need any God or religion because there is nothing greater than themselves. Their ego dictates what it should see and discards everything else.

I think there is a balance that can be found (although as life changes, can be hard for the individual to maintain) between not caring* (aka not giving a s**t as others say) what others think of you or your beliefs and being a person that tries to do the best and genuinely care for others on a humanitarian/social/communal basis.

Whether someone is critical of themselves and why they 'believe' what they do, is another topic.

(* and I don't mean this in an edgy/rebellious way either, I mean like, letting go of the ego in that area completely.....although it's not easy)