• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Immoral to Wear Revealing Clothing?

Aqualung

Tasty
Draka said:
You just don't get it do you? A person feels better about themselves when they feel they look good. This feeling comes across in their outward attitude as well. Making themselves even more noticable...their personality is shining through...and every compliment helps.
you're the one who doesn't get it. I get it. I just don't agree with it. Is it that hard for you to understand that I don't think those are the right reasons?! Do you seriously have to belittle my abilities to "get" things?! I "get it." But getting it doesn't mean I will just automatically agree with you, and become you most devout desciple. I think that dressing immodestly is an immoral way to get people to compliment you.

Katzpur said:
I guess what I don't understand is why wearing a tight pair of jeans and a little top with a plunging neckline would make a woman feel good about herself. I must be a little odd, but I can feel very good about myself without dressing like that. Basically, it sounds as if you're saying that modesty is "unattractive," and that dressing provocatively naturally enhances a woman's self-esteem, particularly if she is attractive. Did I read you right
No, you just don't get it.:rolleyes:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Aqualung said:
No, you just don't get it.:rolleyes:
Probably not. ;) And not only do I not get it, I don't really have it any more either (although I'm actually not all that bad for my age. :D )

MdmSzdWhtGuy

LDS and Southern Babtists are going to not like the revealing clothing thing. Most other folks are going to like it, just the way it is. It is funny to me tho, that the most pious people here are the ones who are apparently having such lascivious thoughts when they see somebody in revealing clothing.

When I see a well endowed young woman in revealing clothing, I think, hmm, nice bod, or something to that effect. Seems that the more religious and sexually repressed a person is, the more crazy their mind goes when they see a bit of cleavage.

Kind of supports my personal theory regarding why muslim men do crazy things. Keep a person sexually deprived long enough and they will do all kinds of crazy things, have all kinds of crazy thoughts.

B.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
LDS and Southern Babtists are going to not like the revealing clothing thing. Most other folks are going to like it, just the way it is. It is funny to me tho, that the most pious people here are the ones who are apparently having such lascivious thoughts when they see somebody in revealing clothing.

When I see a well endowed young woman in revealing clothing, I think, hmm, nice bod, or something to that effect. Seems that the more religious and sexually repressed a person is, the more crazy their mind goes when they see a bit of cleavage.

Kind of supports my personal theory regarding why muslim men do crazy things. Keep a person sexually deprived long enough and they will do all kinds of crazy things, have all kinds of crazy thoughts.

B.
So now we're equating modesty with sexual repression and craziness? I mean this is really an undeserved put-down! :149:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Katzpur said:
I guess what I don't understand is why wearing a tight pair of jeans and a little top with a plunging neckline would make a woman feel good about herself. I must be a little odd, but I can feel very good about myself without dressing like that. Basically, it sounds as if you're saying that modesty is "unattractive," and that dressing provocatively naturally enhances a woman's self-esteem, particularly if she is attractive. Did I read you right?

Or maybe we're just confusing "sexy" for "attractive."
Not reading exactly right, but I will expand on it. Everyone views themselves differently. That is just given. While you or I may feel just fine about ourselves in a nice dress or pair of slacks and pretty blouse, someone else may feel so unattractive at some point that they feel best in something a bit sexier. Something that shows off what they might percieve to be the best things they have going for them at the time. Once they are put in this mood that they look good, to themselves, they seem prouder of themselves, more self-assure, and this shows in the personality and attitude. It is for no one to judge how a person dresses really. If they are comfortable in it and they feel best wearing what they are wearing then good for them. The truest thing that is important is that the better a person feels outwardly about themselves the more likely they are to show their true personality...and that's what's really attractive. That's what makes the total package. You can have a really "sexy" person who has an ugly personality and they will still be ugly. Take someone who doesn't normally dress up "provocatively" and they suddenly feel "sexier" and it is a rush. They stand out more and are more talkative normally. Showing themselves more...inside as well as out.

Linus

Sunstone said:
Is there something wrong with it?
The way I see it, a christian shouldn't wearrevealing clothes because they tempt others to think lustfully. If you are doing something to cause someone else to sin (or even giving them the option), you are sinning yourself. That's why I think it is immoral.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Linus said:
The way I see it, a christian shouldn't wearrevealing clothes because they tempt others to think lustfully. If you are doing something to cause someone else to sin (or even giving them the option), you are sinning yourself. That's why I think it is immoral.
Um, isn't that going back to the whole "people can't help themselves thing?" Wouldn't that be a test of sorts? If a Christian can't help themselves from "lusting" when they see someone attractive then that is not the other person's fault. It should show their strength and morals when they see someone attractive and it doesn't phase them at all. How can you lay the blame for someone's sin on someone else?

Linus

Draka said:
How can you lay the blame for someone's sin on someone else?
If you tempt someone, you are giving them the opportunity to sin. This is what we christians are trying to avoid in our individual walks with God. We need to do all we can to help each other think pure thoughts. Yeah, it's technically, "not your fault" if the other person sins by lusting, but why put that stumbling block in their path?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I believe that how you dress says a lot about who you are. If women dress skanky... I think of them as skanks. Women that dress that way reveal alot about their lack of character.

I am more attracted to women of class and character.

Ceridwen018

If someone wants to dress modestly because they think it looks nicer, they feel more comfortable that way, or whatever, then more power to them! However, if someone wants to dress reavealingly, they should also have that right without being criticised by others.

Personally, I would never wear overly revealing clothing to my job, or to an interview, or anything like that--its just not classy. If I'm out with my friends on a Friday night, however, the common dress code usually calls for something a little flashier, and I am usually happy to let loose and oblidge. I think there's a place and a time for everything, and sometimes its just fun to put on "men's shirts and short skirts" and have some fun!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
wearing revealing clothing says more about the viewer or should I say voyeur.

If you find it makes you lust isn't that a problem of yours, not theirs.
If you went into the centre of manchester ( or other large city )you would find literally thousands of clubbers Male and female, with only the minimum of clothing.
We are not talking about one class of person but the whole range from wealthy business people,
Doctors to students, those from poor backgrounds will be in the minority.
I once saw three males in thongs and boots and nothing else coming out of a club, no one turned a hair.
This is how the younger people see club fashion, when the fashion changes so will the dress code.
If you went clubbing in an ordinary jacket and tie, the door men would not let you in.
They only let the fun people in.

Terry____________________________
Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is not the "revealing" that's the problem. A century ago a glimpse of ankle was considered provocative.
Fashion has thousands of years of documented history. In that time we've seen cultures mandating 100% coverage and others allowing 100% nudity. It was all a yawn once it was well-established. What is provocative is the new.
When bras were invented in the early 20th century they were denounced as shocking and immodest. Proper women did not raise and emphasize their busts.
When women began deleting bras in the 60s this was again denounced as shocking and immodest. Proper women did not reveal the natural shape and movement of their breasts.

Perhaps it is fashion change itself that is immoral...

mr.guy

crapsack
Linus said:
If you tempt someone, you are giving them the opportunity to sin. This is what we christians are trying to avoid in our individual walks with God. We need to do all we can to help each other think pure thoughts. Yeah, it's technically, "not your fault" if the other person sins by lusting, but why put that stumbling block in their path?
What a wonderful point. Perhaps our friends in Pakistan and rural India have the right idea after all? Rape might not be a sufficient punishment for immodesty, but maybe you find a facefull of acid or decapitation a more socially constructive exercise? What good does a miniskirt do but remind one of original sin? Those whores are just asking for it by shoving men's noses in it, reminding us of how they duped us "in the beginning".

mr.guy

crapsack
Seyorni said:
When bras were invented in the early 20th century they were denounced as shocking and immodest. Proper women did not raise and emphasize their busts.
When women began deleting bras in the 60s this was again denounced as shocking and immodest. Proper women did not reveal the natural shape and movement of their breasts.
Good to also note that women eating ice cream in public was also considered "provocative". The sight of their protruding tongue was considered to sexually charged a sight for men to be able to handle.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Terrywoodenpic said:
wearing revealing clothing says more about the viewer or should I say voyeur.

If you find it makes you lust isn't that a problem of yours, not theirs.
But Terry, there is a responsibilty placed on all of us to not do think that provoke others to do things which are not good. Look at Ephesians where God says, "Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath". Wouldn't this imply that there is a responsibility on our part not to take up actions that provokle others? While I would agree with you that the person who lusts, is the person in the wrong, the person who knowing does something to cause that lust bears some responsibilty.

mr.guy

crapsack
EEWRED,

What does this say of provocation in general? What if i provoke a white supremecist by suggesting "******s" are their equals? Do i deserve to be raped? Surely, i'm in the wrong.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
EEWRED said:
But Terry, there is a responsibilty placed on all of us to not do think that provoke others to do things which are not good. Look at Ephesians where God says, "Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath". Wouldn't this imply that there is a responsibility on our part not to take up actions that provokle others? While I would agree with you that the person who lusts, is the person in the wrong, the person who knowing does something to cause that lust bears some responsibilty.
I suppose you have a point; much like the guy who sees an open doorway and steals a purse from the entrance hall of a house will get a lesser sentence than the guy who breaks in.........

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
EEWRED said:
Wouldn't this imply that there is a responsibility on our part not to take up actions that provokle others?
What would provoke one person may not another. What if someone is provoked or turned on by a woman wearing business suit? She knows there's that creepy guy in the office that looks at her funny when she wears one, but she must be dressed appropriately for meeting clients. Is she responsible for provoking him when finally attacks and rapes her?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
What would provoke one person may not another. What if someone is provoked or turned on by a woman wearing business suit? She knows there's that creepy guy in the office that looks at her funny when she wears one, but she must be dressed appropriately for meeting clients. Is she responsible for provoking him when finally attacks and rapes her?
No, of course not - and no woman should have to 'sift through' all the potential 'provokeful' garments, depending on some guy's weakness...............

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
mr.guy said:
EEWRED,

What does this say of provocation in general? What if i provoke a white supremecist by suggesting "******s" are their equals? Do i deserve to be raped? Surely, i'm in the wrong.
No, of course that is not what I mean, two wrongs don't make a right. But, you would have gone into that situation knowing that your actions would have lead to a more negative reaction, so you can't consider yourself blameless from the outcome, can you? Their reaction is on them, they could have ignored you and gone about their business, or forgiven you and moved on, but they are human and most humans return hatred with hatred, and so the outcome is what it is, and you should have expected such going into it.
Wow, you carried that to its extreme real quick. Do you have a negative opinion of men? I think that this case is the most extreme. If she knew of someone that was doing this, shouldn't she have reported this to someone? That is off the subject kind of. We are talking about the wearing of clothing that is known by someone to induce purient interest from the average person, are we not? So, I don't think that this would count because the man you describe is not the average make in my opinion. There is a difference between finding a women attractive, and lusting after her because she is wearing something skimpy. I do think that some women intentionally wear little clothing in order to get a response from men, and the response they get is lustful objectification, which I do not believe is healthy. There is her action which is not good, and their reaction which is just as wrong, and carried to its extreme there can be an even greater and sicker reaction (i.e. sexual assault). All started because someone decided to provoke lust from someone else. After all, we are all physical creatures and the average response to an attractive women in hardly anything is going to initially be the same.