• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it immoral to think some species deserve annihilation?

Cooky

Veteran Member
The fly:

red_tailed_flesh_fly04.JPG

Has no predator. Has no ecological impact or benefit. Is a pest that spreads germs -germs that are harmful to other species of life.

So would it be wrong to purposely want to rid the world of flys and initiate their mass extinction? Why or why not. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
the fly has a lot of predators, birds, spiders etc

And the Venus fly trap. But there are no venus fly traps where I live... And there are better insects for spiders and birds to eat.

...My guess is that fly's originated on one continent, and just took over the world probably stealing food from other insects in their own native environments.

Probably, something better would fill it's role once it's gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
It sure must have been quick. Flies have many predators. They recycle nutrients in the ecosystem by feeding on decaying waste and dead animals, then getting eaten by spiders, birds, etc.

But that's not any creatures sole source of food though, I'd bet.

...Probably flies are a last resort meal in a crunch. Beetles would surely make much tastier treats, and the flies consume food that the beetles normally eat -thus decreasing the beetle and other flying insect populations... The fly is like a pirate.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But that's not any creatures sole source of food though, I'd bet.

...Probably flies are a last resort meal in a crunch. Beetles make much tastier treats, and the flies consume food that the beetles normally eat -thus decreasing the beetle population.

Believe what you want to believe. You're obviously not here to learn, just argue. But I'm not going to argue with a guy who didn't even know flies have predators thirty minutes ago.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The fly:

30642_fe6e36657454e10671b2b358291399cb.JPG

Has no predator. Has no ecological impact or benefit. Is a pest that spreads germs -germs that are harmful to other species of life.

So would it be wrong to purposely want to rid the world of flys and initiate their mass extinction? Why or why not. Thanks.

Gasp! a photo depicting a sexual act on the sanctified turf of RF.

We used these at grandmas house when I was a kid.

30643_ef354ed2f5ce13dbd4ccf846450ac751.jpg

and now a weapon used to kill innocent animals.....

and you ask about morality!?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The fly:

View attachment 25111

God said that we made everything in balance, don't destroy it by your hands.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
The fly:

View attachment 25111

Even mice are useful today for medical studies, if we killed them long time ago then we're the losers.

It would be wrong as we are in no way smart enough to understand the complex dynamics of the ecosystem.

"I can see no rational need for them" is very different from there is no need for them. Our tendency towards hubris often makes us think the former is the same as the latter though.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Okay. So there's a case of why you consider it immoral. Thank you.

Killing insects as to minimize them or to get rid of them from houses, hospitals, restaurants..etc,
I don't see it as immoral, but to let them went extinct I think it wouldn't be a wise decision, but it has nothing to do with morals.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It would be wrong as we are in no way smart enough to understand the complex dynamics of the ecosystem.

"I can see no rational need for them" is very different from there is no need for them. Our tendency towards hubris often makes us think the former is the same as the latter though.

So would it be morally wrong? Or would it just be dumb to do?

Audie

Veteran Member
The fly:

View attachment 25111

There are thousands of species of flies,
(I just looked it up; 120,000 species)

There is a very wide variety of sizes and shapes and
ways of life.

Your statements about "flies" in bold are incorrect.
Others are sort of half true.

The plural is "flies".

Last edited: