• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ever OK?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
All this talk of homosexuality and harassment has got me thinking about something.
I wanted to know if anyone thinks if it is ever OK to persecute someone for who they are or what they believe or what their lifestyle is?

I have said over and over again on these threads that I think it always wrong to persecute anyone for any reason. If a person truly is sinning and they become a Christian or some other religion, then God will convict them of it. People do not have the right to tell others what to do. Each person is responsible for their own actions.
If someone does not believe in God or has another religion other than an Abrahamic religion, then it is not said to them that what they do is a sin. It isn't until they actually accept this religion that God will convict them in their hearts.
Even if what they do is what you consider a sin, you still don't have a right to harass them for what they do, particularly if they don't even share your faith. God gives us all free choice. If they have already been told that you think it is a sin, then why would you keep telling them, they already know what you believe.
You could choose not to associate socially with anyone you want, but no one has the right to harass another person or harm a person either emotionally or physically.

rojse

RF Addict
I think that persecution is wrong, unless that behaviour is harmful to others, or illegal.

Every case, though, it needs to be considered on it's own merits and arguments.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not against protests. I also know that if someone is harming another, it does indeed need to be called upon. I am talking about things that don't hurt others. :)

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
All this talk of homosexuality and harassment has got me thinking about something.
I wanted to know if anyone thinks if it is ever OK to persecute someone for who they are or what they believe or what their lifestyle is?

I have said over and over again on these threads that I think it always wrong to persecute anyone for any reason. If a person truly is sinning and they become a Christian or some other religion, then God will convict them of it. People do not have the right to tell others what to do. Each person is responsible for their own actions.
If someone does not believe in God or has another religion other than an Abrahamic religion, then it is not said to them that what they do is a sin. It isn't until they actually accept this religion that God will convict them in their hearts.
Even if what they do is what you consider a sin, you still don't have a right to harass them for what they do, particularly if they don't even share your faith. God gives us all free choice. If they have already been told that you think it is a sin, then why would you keep telling them, they already know what you believe.
You could choose not to associate socially with anyone you want, but no one has the right to harass another person or harm a person either emotionally or physically.
IT depends on what you mean by persecution. If I see someone from my church who is living in sin and will not repent, I will go to them and try to convince them to do so. If they still refuse, I will got o them and try to convince them again. If they still will not repent, then I am commanded according to my interpretation of scripture to disfellowship from them. Some might call this persecution, even though I have not caused any physical harm. I do not believe it to be persecution, just a fellow christian trying to convince them that what they are doing is wrong. If you mean this to be persecution, then I believe it is just and right to do. I would never do physical harm to someone though.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Rev 2:14-17
(14) But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
(15) So hast thou also them that hold the Gospel (doctrine) of John Nicolaitans (Nicodemus form of Nicholas), which things I hate!!!!!
(16) Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of our mouth.:sorry1:
(17) He that hath an ear?? let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches!
To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
:shout :angel2:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

This is an easy one. ;-)

I would not persecute (nor condone such behavior) anyone for what they think...but I would merrily prosecute anyone who earnestly seeks to supplant/enforce/impose their religious faith as THE foundationally enforceable law...above and beyond all the basic established tenants/liberties/rights, as codified within the Magna Carta and the US Constitution.

I'm funny that way...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
quote]

No. Not according to me........

Most apt:-
Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

1 Corinthians 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

There is a song that puts it rather aptly.

Peace Will Come

Words and Music by Tom Paxton

Peace
Peace will
Peace will come
And let it begin with me

We
We need
We need peace
And let it begin with me

Oh, my own life is all I can hope to control.
Oh, let my life be lived for the good,
Good of my soul.
Let it bring

Peace
Sweet peace
Peace will come
And let it begin with me

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Define persecute? That is the abuse of someone different than you are--beating, verbal abuse-screaming obscenities at them, emotional abuse, any kind of abuse. It is important in the world that in the workplace that people are able to work together. In social situations, it not persecution if you decide not to socialize with someone who is doing things you don't approve of.
(I can't believe I actually have to explain this)

Telling a fellow Christian what they are doing is wrong is NOT persecution, as long is it is done as the bible says, in private and with love. If you have to go to elders with the problem that is biblical too. But it is wrong to belittle this person outside of Church situations, at work, for instance. In my faith, people are not disfellowshipped, but called backslidden, and they are required to rededicate themselves to God.

With people who are not Christians, you are supposed to give them the message . If they decide to become Christians, then you tell them how to proceed, not before. Telling a non-Christian they are going to hell is not biblical and not something that Jesus did; and it is counter productive. You don't want to scare them into faith, you want to win them to faith. If they reject it, then you move on, you don't continually tell them these things, since they already made their decision.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
(I can't believe I actually have to explain this)
Persecution is misused all the time from my experience... I have seen Christians say they are getting persecuted for trivial things(compared to real persecution faced in the ME/Asia/Africa) and I have seen more secular/liberal types misuse it as well... therefore I always ask for the definition of one who uses it.

In my faith, people are not disfellowshipped, but called backslidden, and they are required to rededicate themselves to God.
Sometimes I feel like I need to rededicate myself to God multiple times in a day lol ;)

If they decide to become Christians, then you tell them how to proceed, not before.
I think how one is expected to live should be known before one makes such a life altering descision.

[telling someone they are going to hell] is counter productive. You don't want to scare them into faith, you want to win them to faith.
This I agree with.

Reactions: s2a

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know very well that the word persecution is very misused. Christians aren't actually persecuted in the U. S. Christians are put to death in a few other countries, I don't have to live with that kind of persecution. African-Americans in the South were persecuted, they were harassed and even killed just for their skin color. Some people at times are attacked, beat up, humiliated, and other forms of abuse just for their lifestyle or ethnic group even to this day. In that way, I have never experienced that kind of persecution. It is easy not to know what is going on if you don't experience it. I was unaware that so many gays were still being beaten and humiliated, I hope I don't have that kind of ignorance anymore. Life is a learning experience for all of us.
As for telling people what they need to do to become a Christian, yes that should be done before they make the "leap" into Christianity, but it should not be done the first time they are hearing the message. I think we are on the same page mostly, though.

ladyhawke

I don't belive persecution is right because of your faith or lack of,each to their own,BUT and this is moving the thread in a different direction (Sorry)but at this moment in time i am house sitting for a friend..and directly opposite is a known child sex offender..Hmmm..we know who he is we know where he lives the village does'nt like it but we are powerless to move him on..he is persecuted on a weekly basis eggs and paint thrown at the house etc..while i don't condone this I have a boy thou grown now and past has age barrier, but friends have young male sons so i can understand their worry and their need to persecute...the only problem i have is if he moves its just passing the problem on...and so the persecution starts for him all over again and there is no solution to the problem..