• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Iran really that bad?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Huh?

So, he changed his tune at the tail end of his last term, and that was mainly due to the fact that Gorbachev was so conciliatory.

Even your own link here shows that:

But Leffler says Gorbachev was different from his predecessors.

“He deeply desired to reform the Soviet system and improve living standards,” he says. “He recognized that ratcheting down military expenditures and modulating the Cold War were necessary preconditions for achieving his domestic priorities.”

Brands adds that the common ground Reagan found with Gorbachev wouldn’t have been possible with Russia’s previous leaders.

“If Brezhnev had lived another six years, Reagan would have made no progress on arms control,” he says. “Reagan needed someone to meet him halfway. He found this person in Gorbachev.”

In his book, Gorbachev: His Life and Times, William Taubman writes that during Reagan’s Moscow visit in 1988, a reporter asked the president at the Kremlin whether he still considered Russia the “evil empire.”

“No,” Reagan replied. “That was another time, another era.”

It was just five years earlier - hardly "another time, another era."

The USSR changed drastically since Stalin died in 1953, but Reagan was apparently unaware of that until 1988. So, he finally realized that they weren't the "evil empire" after all. A little late, don't you think? In any case, it doesn't refute the point I was making.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I have been following the Western media for some time now and I have noticed that no country in the world is attacked as harshly by the Western media as Iran. The western media uses everything to put Iran in a bad light. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

But is Iran really that bad? I mean, let's compare Iran with a country like India. In India, horrible things happen against women every day. But does the Western media report on it? No, they don't. They did recently report on the rape of a woman in India, but that was only because the woman was European. Every day Indian women are raped and beaten in India, but the Western media remain silent. But when a woman is arrested in Iran for not wearing a headscarf, the Western media goes crazy. Is wearing a headscarf worse than rape?

If I asked you whether you would rather live in Iran or India, which would you choose? As a Christian, I would prefer to live in Iran.

I love the Iranian people and the staggeringly rich heritage of the country.

I wonder how many people here know of our (American and British) role in the overthrow of the democratically elected government in Iran back in the 1950s? It was mainly because they nationalized their oil (which is what I think we should do in America).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

A stain on our history.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, he changed his tune at the tail end of his last term, and that was mainly due to the fact that Gorbachev was so conciliatory.
I think your loathing of Reagan isn't serving you well.
You really should learn Reagan's history, particularly
during the years when he warmed to Russia & the
possibility of a peaceful relationship.
Gorbachev & Reagan were both responsible.
Worth reading....

Now mind you....I've a low opinion of
some of Reagan's acts as President.
I am not his defender. But give credit
where credit is due.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think your loathing of Reagan isn't serving you well.
You really should learn Reagan's history, particularly
during the years when he warmed to Russia & the
possibility of a peaceful relationship.
Gorbachev & Reagan were both responsible.
Worth reading....

Now mind you....I've a low opinion of
some of Reagan's acts as President.
I am not his defender. But give credit
where credit is due.

Despite this, I stand by what I said. His obsession over communism (particularly in Nicaragua) blinded him to just about everything else in the world, which is why there are still problems involving Iran (and Afghanistan, for that matter). The Contras weren't disbanded until 1990, after Reagan left office. Reagan gave aid to our enemies in the Middle East while engaging in a war of aggression against our neighbors.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Despite this, I stand by what I said. His obsession over communism (particularly in Nicaragua) blinded him to just about everything else in the world, which is why there are still problems involving Iran (and Afghanistan, for that matter). The Contras weren't disbanded until 1990, after Reagan left office. Reagan gave aid to our enemies in the Middle East while engaging in a war of aggression against our neighbors.
Changing the subject in order to defend
an ill considered claim, eh. You never
fail to meet expectations.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I have been following the Western media for some time now and I have noticed that no country in the world is attacked as harshly by the Western media as Iran. The western media uses everything to put Iran in a bad light. Am I the only one who finds this strange?

But is Iran really that bad? I mean, let's compare Iran with a country like India. In India, horrible things happen against women every day. But does the Western media report on it? No, they don't. They did recently report on the rape of a woman in India, but that was only because the woman was European. Every day Indian women are raped and beaten in India, but the Western media remain silent. But when a woman is arrested in Iran for not wearing a headscarf, the Western media goes crazy. Is wearing a headscarf worse than rape?

If I asked you whether you would rather live in Iran or India, which would you choose? As a Christian, I would prefer to live in Iran.
The government of Iran (meaning those who have authority to make the decisions) is as bad as the government of the US. I decline to choose between Iran and India. Though the US is racing into the abyss, it's still my home.

Last edited:

ajay0

It is strange and ironical that you only got India to compare with Iran.

When the native Zoroastrians were persecuted in Iran by the Muslim Arab invaders in the seventh century , they came in waves as hundreds of thousands of refugees to India where they were given refuge by the Hindu rulers . Even now the ancient Zoroastrian culture, temples and people live intact in India rather than Iran.

India has the world's largest population of 1 billion 400 million, so crime rates are obviously bound to be higher statistically speaking than any country in the world. Compounding this is the low police to population ratio ( due to damaged economy after independence from western colonial rule) which however is now improving due to the fast developing economy.

Also muslim women in India are under no obligation to wear scarves or hijabs and in certain institutions under the government they are banned from doing so. There are many muslim actresses and artists in India who wear modern western clothing without any issues whatsoever. There are a lot of Indian muslim women as well who shun burkha and hijab.

Muslim women who have the right qualifications and talent have also excelled as scientists and engineers.

An example is Nigar Shaji , the muslim lady who was the project director of ISRO's Aditya Sun Mission. If you look at her photographs, you can find her not wearing any scarf or burkha. Such a thing is unthinkable in Iran and Nigar would have been arrested or killed for not wearing scarves or hijab.

Ironically, many Iranian women arriving as students to study in academic institutions in India also wear modern clothing rather than hijabs or burkhas and seems happy to do so, and I have personally witnessed many such women in India.

So all this comparison between Iran and India is ridiculous. There is no excuse for forcing women to wear hijabs and scarves forcefully, and this should be a personal choice.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The government of Iran (meaning those who have authority to make the decisions) is as bad as the government of the US. c
Were that true, I wouldn't have so many
Iranian relatives who moved here to
escape their government.
What do the Iranians & ex-pats you know
say about it?